Page 1 of 2
Post some guitars that can be used successfully from both metal to indie simultaneously; as in you can just go from a technical solo to a soft arpeggio and not dilute the tone of either. I play Prog, and I can't play a juggling act with guitars as well as I would like to.

Also:
What are your thoughts on the Ibanez A~ series? Omar Rodriguez does a pretty wide range of sounds on those things.

Plus, Godin makes guitars for this exact situation, but they have to be imported.
Last edited by NSG at Sep 18, 2007,
LTD MH-1000, the one with duncans. That is a beautiful guitar.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by mh400nt
Google is also nice, christ alive

Not all of them are on the sites I check on.

Plus some of these guitars are not what I'm looking for.
Give us some decent information in what you want

Price range
Wood preference
Bridge preference
ect ect...
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Ibanez RG, anything from the 1570 upwards...google it, and are you seriously trying to say you can't find those other guitars using google???
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by .arkness:.
Give us some decent information in what you want

Price range
Wood preference
Bridge preference
ect ect...

No preference on composition. I don't want to pigeonhole myself to that one brand who just happens to make guitars out of that one wood.

Color would preferably be black or dark colors. But if it is light, it better look good.

Price range? Maybe <1k. It isn't like music is all I do, I have other things to spend money on.

The other information is in the OP, if you read it.

Ibanez RG, anything from the 1570 upwards...google it, and are you seriously trying to say you can't find those other guitars using google???

Is it that hard to just post links?
Quote by fretsonfire74
greg bennett interceptor.

i think its mahogany, HSS, rosewood fretboard, mines a real dark purple, they come in black. cost: $500
Quote by fretsonfire74
i think its mahogany, HSS, rosewood fretboard, mines a real dark purple, they come in black. cost: $500

Not one seller I frequent stocks those.
Quote by NSG
No preference on composition. I don't want to pigeonhole myself to that one brand who just happens to make guitars out of that one wood.

Color would preferably be black or dark colors. But if it is light, it better look good.

Price range? Maybe <1k. It isn't like music is all I do, I have other things to spend money on.

The other information is in the OP, if you read it.

Is it that hard to just post links?

Again, is it that hard to just look yourself - I'm happy to give advice out all day long, but I'm less incliced to do donkey work for lazy people.

Ibanez RG1570 or 2550E all the way, the 2550 looks nicer to me and has better pickups. however a pickup upgrade is always an option if they don't suit you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Fat Strat again.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by steven seagull
Again, is it that hard to just look yourself - I'm happy to give advice out all day long, but I'm less incliced to do donkey work for lazy people.

Ibanez RG1570 or 2550E all the way, the 2550 looks nicer to me and has better pickups. however a pickup upgrade is always an option if they don't suit you.

Uh huh.

Ok, I made this tread at a bad time. Where did the people who were here during the summer go?

PS. I'm just asking for your ****ing opinion -_-
Ibanez S520EX
Is nice, but like your choice, it seems like it was built mainly for metal.

Godin Solidac
Or any Godin model. Is made for rapidly changing between completely unrelated tones.

I was just wondering if there is any better choice out there than Godin.
Quote by NSG
Uh huh.

Ok, I made this tread at a bad time. Where did the people who were here during the summer go?

PS. I'm just asking for your ****ing opinion -_-

I just gave you my ****ing opinion, stop being such a lazy, whiney assed little child.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I just gave you my ****ing opinion, stop being such a lazy, whiney assed little child.

see
Ibanez S520EX
Is nice, but like your choice, it seems like it was built mainly for metal.

Godin Solidac
Or any Godin model. Is made for rapidly changing between completely unrelated tones.

I was just wondering if there is any better choice out there than Godin.

But seriously, I just get a Bassist to answer my question (see UG Bass if you don't understand)? **I mean personality wise... I know some of you won't be able to make that connection.

PS. Notice:
What are your thoughts on the Ibanez A~ series? Omar Rodriguez does a pretty wide range of sounds on those things.

also.

Plus: what fat strat would you recommend (post a link to a music seller). I like the look of those models.
Quote by steven seagull

+1

The people giving you advice are doing you a favour, so you shouldn't demand stuff from them which you are perfectly capable of doing yourself.
Quote by mr_hankey
+1

The people giving you advice are doing you a favour, so you shouldn't demand stuff from them which you are perfectly capable of doing yourself.

Can I go one thread without some jackass starting ****?

Is that so hard to ask?

Plus, do you really have to post the rep change? I mean, you aren't helping either. And that was not advice (in reference to jackass #1).

P.S. For everyone else: posts 1 and 19 are OP related. You can ignore the bitch fight. Also, as an attempt to alleviate headaches on my part, please only post on-topic.
ok well im in threads all day long and almost never get spanked, you know why? because i dont talk to people like they are idiots.

the guys talkng to you happen to be the type of guys that will spend all day trying to help, but you keep snapping at them whenever they attempt to get info from you.

what guitars do you already own
what amp are you using?
what type of bridge are you looking for?

Fender fat strats are fine if you use the right amp, but it depends on the type of bridge you want.
fender strat trems arent usually good for metal.
so i guess an Ibanez super straT. like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok well im in threads all day long and almost never get spanked, you know why? because i dont talk to people like they are idiots.

the guys talkng to you happen to be the type of guys that will spend all day trying to help, but you keep snapping at them whenever they attempt to get info from you.

I know, this hasn't been the first time.

what guitars do you already own

I plan to replace whatever I have now with this. But I have a strat at the moment (nothing special).

what amp are you using?

I will get a new amp with it. The one I have right now is nothing worth mentioning. Like the guitar, I want something casual yet usable for professional use.

what type of bridge are you looking for?
For aesthetics, I like how ebony looks. But I really don't need my fingerprints so the wood does not matter.

Fender fat strats are fine if you use the right amp, but it depends on the type of bridge you want.
fender strat trems arent usually good for metal.

I just like how they look, I do know they are blues guitars though.

so i guess an Ibanez super straT. like said.

I will check them out.
I would say that being able to play varying styles and tones is far more dependent on your amp than your guitar...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I would say that being able to play varying styles and tones is far more dependent on your amp than your guitar...

Look at Godin guitars. That is what I mean.

I really don't want to have to import a guitar from Canada just because only one company saw the need for a multi-tone guitar.

But what kind of amps would you recommend?
They sell Godin guitars in the states...

As for amps, it really depends on how much gain you want.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
They sell Godin guitars in the states...

I have never seen any around here in LA. But yeah, any other guitars like Godin models (don't ask, it is just personal preference)?

As for amps, it really depends on how much gain you want.

Hmm... what would be good for prog.
Quote by steven seagull

Yes, this was blatantly not helpful advice, whatever was I thinking...how careless of me
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Yes, this was blatantly not helpful advice, whatever was I thinking...how careless of me

Sorry, I was tired...

Ok, I found
1570 (Musician's Friend)
2550 (SamAsh)
1570 (SamAsh)
1570 (Guitar Center)
Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of these models?

The Musician's Friend and Guitar Center models are the same, but the SamAsh ones are different mods.

Also, what would be a decent amp to go with it?
They're pretty much the same guitar, except that the 2550 has a pickguard and better pickups. That being the case, whilst they are significantly better than the regular Ibanez stocks they still may not be to your taste. Also the 2550 has a mirrored pickguard, mirrored pickguards are incredibly cool.

Both are made in Japan with excelllent quality control, and both have insanely slim necks and the Edge Pro trem which is as good as any Floyd type on the market. The lower price of the 1570 means you can afford to upgrade the pickups anyway. Both are HSH which is arguably as versatile a pickup config as you can get.

Amp depends on how much you have to spend really.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
They're pretty much the same guitar, except that the 2550 has a pickguard and better pickups. That being the case, whilst they are significantly better than the regular Ibanez stocks they still may not be to your taste. Also the 2550 has a mirrored pickguard, mirrored pickguards are incredibly cool.

Both are made in Japan with excelllent quality control, and both have insanely slim necks and the Edge Pro trem which is as good as any Floyd type on the market. The lower price of the 1570 means you can afford to upgrade the pickups anyway. Both are HSH which is arguably as versatile a pickup config as you can get.

Amp depends on how much you have to spend really.

I see...

How much would a decent stage/casual use amp cost (just give me a price range to consider)?
In terms of providing the versatility you're going to require without additional outboard effects, and also being powerful enough to manage small gigs without a PA I'd start looking around these models. Anything cheaper would be a false economy to a certain degree as you'd either be lacking a clean channel, need an outboard overdrive for higher gain levels or you wouldn't have enough power to gig small venues without a PA. Obviously you lokk used your options open up immensely.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT2-XL-50W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483006
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by darkarbiter7
Fat Strat again.

A HSS would also do the job
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
Quote by NSG
What?

Which do you think is the best?

"lokking"...it's like looking only better

I reckon you give the Valvetronix XL a spin, the originaly Valvetronix's are great but a little lacking for higher gain sounds - the XL models are supposed to address that. That's you're most versatile due to onboard effects.

If you want a good, solid tone and the responsiveness of a tube amp then go with the B52 - it's not as obviously versatile, but that just means you need to rely on your guitars controls a little more when going for different tones. If you like a nastier distortion tone, or indeed if you just prefer the tone of solid state amps, then the Randall might be best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
"lokking"...it's like looking only better

I reckon you give the Valvetronix XL a spin, the originaly Valvetronix's are great but a little lacking for higher gain sounds - the XL models are supposed to address that. That's you're most versatile due to onboard effects.

If you want a good, solid tone and the responsiveness of a tube amp then go with the B52 - it's not as obviously versatile, but that just means you need to rely on your guitars controls a little more when going for different tones. If you like a nastier distortion tone, or indeed if you just prefer the tone of solid state amps, then the Randall might be best.

Hmm...

What do you think is a good song to try (in the store of course) on the guitar/amp to give me an idea of how good they are?
Quote by SdKfz
A HSS would also do the job

HSS Strat = Fat Strat.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by NSG
Hmm...

What do you think is a good song to try (in the store of course) on the guitar/amp to give me an idea of how good they are?

see^^

Nothing that would draw attention to myself, just something that gives me an idea of how versatile it is.
Last edited by NSG at Sep 21, 2007,
Page 1 of 2