Alright, for the past few months my schools best amp (yes, an ashton GA80) has been on the fritz.
When you plug a guitar into it and turn on the distorted channel, it makes a loud buzz or whistle (like those old kettles)
Today i had another go, got a vague clean signal from the guitar.

I believe it is the input socket, however i read a few minutes ago it could possibly be a blown speaker too?

Anyway, do you think it is a stuffed input, or a blown speaker, and would it be worth getting fixed?

(note, it would need to be taken to a shop to be done, noone at our school can even string a guitar properly...)
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
schools generally have crappy amps
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
Quote by timo1
Ashton sucks balls

Ask for a new amp possibly! Maybe pots need cleaning! theirs alot of factors. Take it to a tech and get hes opinion! Could be anything like!
Well anyway, any ideas on what it could be? it would be easier if i had an almost certain idea about what it was, since the music is on a $6000 a year music budget (that's NZD too, so pretty much we get **** all) and we can't afford to randomly be carting techs in for no reason.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
my school has the crappiest amps
we have one that is actually a keyboard amp
and a couple of crappy behringers
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
it's worth taking to a tech, especially if the budget is as small as you say it is.

$6k isn't that bad actually. My old school had a 10k budget, and 8k of that went on the production. All the profit they made off the production (which was ALOT) went into other departments at the school.
My school doesn't even have guitar classes or clubs...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio