i'm having problems figuring out the chords for songs. i've seen my friend jam along to a song just by listening to the song. normally i would search the chords for the song on UG. any tips?
it really is just down to ear training and experience. also knowing some very common progressions like G-D-C etc makes it a bit easier, as you develop a feel for what chords are likely to follow if you've identified one.
Got the spirit, but lose the feeling
Quote by new_decade
it really is just down to ear training and experience. also knowing some very common progressions like G-D-C etc makes it a bit easier, as you develop a feel for what chords are likely to follow if you've identified one.

you would need to be able to hear notes and pick them out on the guitar. That only comes with experiance playing. We can't really teach you this.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
Try taking really basic songs and see if you can find some chords that fit them. This thing can't be learned, and the theory won't really help you that much. It's all experience.
I'm a communist. Really.
Listen to the Beatles "Get back". 3 chords - A,D,G
Or "Bad moon rising" from CCR. D,A,G
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Raziel2p
This thing can't be learned, and the theory won't really help you that much. It's all experience.

Are you serious? Theory comes from experience. The more you learn music theory the more your going to understand your instrument and when you take the time to understand something you will have a lot more success at it. I think if you take the time to learn about chord progressions in different keys you will be able to do this over time. I know its not an easy answer but its not easy thing to do, to get that good takes time and work. But just don't limit yourself, understand your guitar.