Looking to invest in a new amp (playing through a disgusting SS Laney thing at the mo.)

Seem to have narrowed it down to either a Fender Twin, a Vox AC30CC2 and Marshall's 62 Bluesbreaker (all reissues). Have tried each of these, but all at low volume, which doesn't help me a lot.

Music I play is mostly R&R, early Garage Punk type stuff - along the lines of The Cramps, Pussy Galore, The Seeds, The Kinks, Birthday Party, The Scientists. Guitar-wise I use an Am Series Strat through a Rat pedal.

If you can help me out here I'll buy you a cheeseburger.
Do you want to be able to overdrive the amp? In that case, scratch the Twin. The Bassman 59RI is perhaps better suited (it's pretty Marshall-like too), but it's also very loud.
The Bluesbreaker is a REALLY loud amp, and needs to be cranked to get OD from it. But when it's cranked, man.... wow.
But if you cant crank it, then theres not much point.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
The Bluesbreaker is a REALLY loud amp, and needs to be cranked to get OD from it. But when it's cranked, man.... wow.
But if you cant crank it, then theres not much point.

Does that go for the reissues too?
If you can naturally OD the amp, and play loud all the time, Bluesbreaker FTW!
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
If you can naturally OD the amp, and play loud all the time, Bluesbreaker FTW!

All those amps will sound amazing cranked. Really amazing.

(I mean the Bassman, not the Twin; as you'll be deaf before it starts breaking up).
One of the things I'm gonna have to take into consideration is build quality/reliability. I know things can go wrong with ANY amp, but which manufacturer out of the three tends to have better reliability?
I'd say Marshall and Vox are slightly better in terms of reliability, but I've haven't heard anything bad about that particular Marshall, so....it's pretty even.

Maybe you should look at costumer support as well, if you're having trouble deciding. I know that Fenders is pretty crap...
It seems to be narrowing down between the Marshall and the Vox, with the Bluesbreaker edging it by a nose.
^ Well, they're both ****ing heavy, big and loud. Did you A/B them in a shop?

EDIT:
I see you did try them, but did you try both during the same day or week? You should also really try to crank them both up, to hear what they're really capable of.
Oh maaan, those are some nice amps
You could also invest in an attentuator, that way you could get the creamy Marshall overdrive tones at a not-so high volume.

Can i haz a cheezeburger plz?
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by add45
Oh maaan, those are some nice amps
You could also invest in an attentuator, that way you could get the creamy Marshall overdrive tones at a not-so high volume.

*Gives add45 a cheezeburger*

Yeah, get an attenuator. If you can, then definately go for the Bluesbreaker or the Bassman. If not, then maybe the AC30, with a really good OD?

Now I want a cheeseburger.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Sep 18, 2007,
I tried them all on the same day but, like I said, not at full volume. I'm really starting to set my heart on the Bluesbreaker

Quote by add45

What the heck, cheeseburgers all round!
My 3 favourite ever amps, congratulations!

My choice would be either the Bluesbreaker or Bassman with an attenuator. Beautiful beautiful beautiful tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
When people talk about stuff like the Bluesbreaker and the Bassman, they are referring to reissues right? I hope so cos I'm not gonna be able to shell out a mortgage on a vintage amp. The ones I'm talking about are new in-the-shop models.

Approx prices new are:

Vox AC30CC2X - £950
Marshall 62 Bluesbreaker £900
Fender Twin Reverb £1100
Fender 59 Bassman £1100

I have a budget of £1500 so these prices are OK. I could go secondhand and save a bit, but would rather pay the extra and have the security of a full guarantee.

With my Strat and my Rat, this would pretty much be my entire set-up. Until I get another windfall, of course.
Hey man, my mate got a reissue 62 bluesbreaker for £400 on ebay, look there! I've played his too, it's immense.

And with the saved money, buy my roger mayer fuzz!
Don't be afraid to care"

Well I'd go with an AC30. The Bluesbreak is LOUD, LOUD and of course LOUD. Really I mean it.

The Vox can handle volumes, but you can get natural OD from it on decent volumes.

Also check out the Rocker 30.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by dullstrings
I hope so cos I'm not gonna be able to shell out a mortgage on a vintage amp.

My Bassman cost half of what a reissue does. You won't be able to get a tweed Bassman for any reasonable amount, but you should be able to afford most of the 60's models.
dude AC30? all nice amps but can't beat a great british design, i don't know if it comes with celestion alnico blues but if it does prepare for the ultimate orgasmatron.
Yeah, just checked their website and the AC30CC2X dues indeed come with celestion alnico blues.
I'm a big vox fan.. the ac30cc is great.
but i'd check the new AC15H1TV, it's hand wired, has a top boost and a EF86 channel which should be amazing (have'nt playd it yet...) and is a lot more 'crank-able' then the others..
very sweet .

no reverb or trem though.. if that's an issue .

EDIT: also comes with one alnico blue
to whoever questioned fenders reliabilty and customer service, fender has been great with me. they replaced the neck on my strat once for free. the were very helpful.