I want a tube amp that can do metal/hi gain well. I play stuff like Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, BFMV, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, In Flames, etc etc. The amp needs to sound good at bedroom levels, and cost no more than £500. Ive got my eye on 2 amp heads atm, a Randall RH50T and a Peavey Valveking 100 Watt head. now 100 watts tube is A LOT i know, but would the amp sound good at bedroom levels? the Randall is 50 watts, so im assuming it would be better for lower volumes, but ive not seen many reviews for them so im not sure how good they actually are.

out of those 2 heads which would be the best to go for? or can anyone recommend me another head which would be a better option for me?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I doubt they would be ideal bedroom amps.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
VK would be way to loud
check out the tiny terror
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
The only tube amp I have heard that can do HIGH gain at low volumes without a boost of any sort is the Mesa Mark IV

Express 25:5?
valveking royal 8 is not high gain, I have one. Even with an OD it's not a metal amp, it works good though with metal pedals like metal muff and mt2. But it's not the sa,e.
VK head for bedroom? jesus boy! you must be deaf then....and if you were it would still crush your nuts with high sound levels so no idea. Ideal for gigging though(medium to big venues). The randall 50 watt valve is a outstanding amp and sounds pretty good on lower levels too so thats your bitchy amp choice id go for atm
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
I own a Valveking Head. First, I don't think it's the ticket for metal. It doesn't have enough gain. Second, you will not get a good sound at a low level without an attenuator. Unless you are playing at large venues, you do not need a 100 watt tube head. I'd choose a smaller wattage combo.
Dude, tube heads with a power over 10 Watt will generally NOT make good bedroom amps.

I've got the Valveking 112, and it's loud! I don't dare push the volume beyond 3 because I doubt my house can take the punishment. And I live in a brick house! It's sturdy!
^^I never put my stack beyond 3 when playing without earplug either.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

100 watt tube amps aren't good for bedroom practice, you can work with t if you can only have one amp and need one for gigging and practice but unless you gig a lot in bigger venues you still don't need a 100 watter. Also the VK isn't good for metal (nor is it a very good amp anyway) I would look at a 5150 combo or something.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
The only tube amp I have heard that can do HIGH gain at low volumes without a boost of any sort is the Mesa Mark IV

Every Mesa Boogie I've played sounds good at low volumes. Especially the ones with the master volume and channel volume.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
100 watt tube amps aren't good for bedroom practice, you can work with t if you can only have one amp and need one for gigging and practice but unless you gig a lot in bigger venues you still don't need a 100 watter. Also the VK isn't good for metal (nor is it a very good amp anyway) I would look at a 5150 combo or something.

hold it...its good for THE PRICE but not maybe the best in his PRICE RANGE. He could get better used. My Randall tube head is not much more expensive and i get all the distortion/overdrive/cleans i need from it. Mind you i listen to extreme metal and generally play music that needs alot of low end punch and gain and ballcrushing distortion so if you want a new head or somethin in the price range NEW then you should look into a Randall rh50t
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

i'd say a valveking isnt voiced for metal. but the gain i thinks there. i have the 112 combo, and though i have pup groove tubes in mine, and put a celestion in it so mines modded slightly, it has alot of gain on the tap. more than enough for metal. you just have to hit the gain boost button. this makes the voicing slightly more trebly, but you can just eq that out.
I am a VK owner, but I don't play metal. I do use fairly high gain, more than most classic rock/blues players. The VK head would not be my first choice for metal nor bedroom volume. The best bedroom tube amps are less than 5 watts.
Valvekings sound really good, it is a medium-gain amp, but the best deal is the 50 watt 112 combo. Still too loud for bedroom though it doesn't sound bad at low volume. When you start talking about the head version its not nearly as good a value. I wouldn't recommend any amp over 5 watts tube for bedroom volumes, but the VK's bedroom volume is as good as most other tube amps. The best value is still the 112 combo. Its 50 loud watts and can run a 412 cab. Best of both worlds, half stack for gigs if necessary and internal speaker for home/smaller gigs.
^^Yeah agree with both of you. Randall Tube head is more metal-voiced and goes for anything id say. It seems to have the voicing and Gain for metal for me but then again...all have different tastes...i advice you to try them out
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

most of those low wattage tube amps aren't exactly geared at modern metal.

the randall and valveking are budget amps... i think you can do better with £500.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_thunder_50_e322_roehrencombo.htm maybe. bear in mind, i haven't ever been able to try the thunder, by all accounts it's not just as heavy as some of the other engls... bound to be worth a try, though. bear in mind the footswitch is extra, but any of those £15 ones should do it. Don't quote me, though.

peavey windsor studio might be worth waiting for, but again might not have enough gain. EDIT: the head and a framus 2x12 cab with v30's might be worth considering, though. it is more an 80's hot-rodded marshall metal sound, though.

if you can somehow find a cheap 2x12 speaker cab, a laney gh50l head might be worth considering- i haven't tried it, but most of the other laneys I have tried are nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?