I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now, and I still have unbelievable trouble singing and strumming at the same time. If its a measure of 8th note strums, no problem, except the fact that I can't count the 8 and sing at the same time, so I have to base how far into the measure I am based on the vocals, so if I were to play in a band, I'm 90% sure I wouldn't be in time.

If I attempt to strum something a little more nice sounding while I sing, I can't do both at once so I usually end up strumming the rhythm of the lyrics, or some awful sounding hybrid of the two >.<...

I'd also like to be able to do this with single string stuff...

Some people don't seem to ever have any problems with this sort of thing. My friend can do it just fine, and most people I ask say they've never had a problem with it...Am I stupid or something? I would think this sort of thing could be worked out with practice, but I don't really know if there is any special way you are supposed to practice this.

Any suggestions?
normally its because you dont know the song well enough and your fingers dont "memorize" when to go where just keep practising the song and try singing random bits in time in the end you'll get it
i used to have the same trouble, so i just started off with an easy country song (long black train by Josh Turner), and worked through that...my next big step was stupid boy by Keith Urban, had a tough time with it but worked hard and it just clicked one day...now i can play and sing a good bit of dave matthews....so i guess just work slow and keep battling through it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by gavindavis
normally its because you dont know the song well enough and your fingers dont "memorize" when to go where just keep practising the song and try singing random bits in time in the end you'll get it

That makes sense, but what if I'm just sort of messing around and free singing to some chord progression. Am I supposed to already have some strumming rhythms memorized?
you're not stupid, you're fine =) you just need to know the guitar and vocals so well you dont have to concentrate on them

so play the guitar part over and over again until you could play it on the floor, over your head, anywhere

do the same for singing. sing at every available opportunity: in the shower, in bed, school wherever

once the two are firmly in your head, try very very slowly them together and see what happens and play easy songs like most nirvana
its really a matter of understanding the rythm perfectly. you have to sync up the guitar and the lyrics. you have to know that when you say a certain word or put emphasis on a certain part of a word, you are matching that up with something on the guitar. hopefully thats not too confusing. i know i didnt sing and play after 2 years of playing. it took me longer than that. if you're friends have no problem with this after two years i'd be a little suprised. they can probably do it with easy songs.
Quote by metallinutter
you're not stupid, you're fine =) you just need to know the guitar and vocals so well you dont have to concentrate on them

so play the guitar part over and over again until you could play it on the floor, over your head, anywhere

do the same for singing. sing at every available opportunity: in the shower, in bed, school wherever

once the two are firmly in your head, try very very slowly them together and see what happens and play easy songs like most nirvana

I feel like I know the guitar parts and words to Smells Like Teen Spirit, Polly, and Sliver really well. I guess I must not if I can't put them together. I suppose I do still have to somewhat concentrate. I'll try to start getting songs more into muscle memory.

Thanks
I used to have that same problem, just play the song until your fingers know where to go before you can even think it. This might sound like a weird suggestion, but try having someone quiz you on something that requires thinking, and try playing the guitar at the same time, and get to the point where you can play the song flawless w/o even thinking about it.
Just get a basic chord progression (something like G - D - Am - C) and freestyle over that. I do that when I'm bored and it has helped me be able to sing over what I'm playing.