So I got a Champ recently and I also have a TS9 and was wondering how I can get lots of distortion without cranking the amp to loud.

I have already tried increasing the volume on the TS9 to max and keeping the Drive to zero but the most I'll get is a light overdrive, I have the tone knob rolled a bit to the left for bass.

I would like to do this without having to use a distortion pedal if possible.
Thats not really an option... lol What guitar are you using.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by ericgentz
Thats not really an option... lol What guitar are you using.

A new guitar will make such a minimal difference...

ixelion, the Fender Champ is a vintage style amp, and your TS9 is hardly going to push it into metal territory without quite a lot of amp distortion/OD.

Your only choices are to go for a new amp or pedal, which you don't want to do.

Tough break!
I guess it's pedal time, new amp doesn't make any sense since I don't find much gain difference between 5 watters.

Is it safe to put a clean boost in addition to the TS9, will that get me more distortion?
You could try a clean boost if you want. Best thing to do is get a good Distortion pedal for it. I'm not a fan of the metal muff, which alot of people here will recommend, but a ProCo RAT is a brilliant distortion pedal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
2 overdrives might get you there, but a distortion would efinitely. so a metal muff or as above a proco rat
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
you will not get a metal tone out of a fender amp full stop.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
I don't really need a distortion pedal

I found I can get loads of metal distortion by increasing the Drive knob in addition to the Level knob, but I was trying to hear the amp distortion rather than the pedal, but it doesn't seem possible.

Any way it's strange on my SS amp even when the Drive knob was at maximum it still sounded like light overdrive, but on the Champ for some reason it turns into massive massive distortion.

So I think i'll need an EQ to roll off some treble.

It's to bad I cant push the amp it's self, that's what I was hoping for.
Last edited by ixelion at Sep 18, 2007,
It's gonna be really hard to get a metal tone from that amp with just an OD pedal. You could try to get a boost pedal to further crank up the gain on the TS9, but it's still a guess to whether or not that would get you into high-gain tone.
Check out the Jekyll & Hyde pedal. Distortion and overdrive in one pedal. The overdrive is just a TS9 clone with a switchable bass boost. The distortion is really nice too. Limitless versatility when you combine the two channels. You can find one for about $100 on eBay.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Quote by ixelion
I don't really need a distortion pedal

I found I can get loads of metal distortion by increasing the Drive knob in addition to the Level knob, but I was trying to hear the amp distortion rather than the pedal, but it doesn't seem possible.
Then what's the problem the amp will only do upto Classic Rock gain without any external help, and that's at maximum volume. If you don't want it cranked then just don't crank it and use the pedal. Do a maximum gain and level boost and turn the amp down to taste.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Then what's the problem the amp will only do upto Classic Rock gain without any external help, and that's at maximum volume. If you don't want it cranked then just don't crank it and use the pedal. Do a maximum gain and level boost and turn the amp down to taste.

Yeah you are right I'll just crank the drive knob thats already more distortion than I need.
I'm not sure if it could help but maybe you could get multiple boost pedals, or multiple od pedals for the tone you want. I want to try this but its kinda expensive. Maybe time to go to gc again hehe.
You won't get a brutal high gain sound from the Champ.

A few ODs might do it, or a distortion pedal.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
meh, trying to pile on pedals for gain isn't going to help. It's voiced to sound vintage on purpose, it was never designed to do metal. You can keep adding pedals, but it's just going to get muddy and farty sounding. Full on powertube distortion is great for classic rock, but it's a little loose sounding for metal. For metal, you want a hint of powertube breakup, so the amp is breathing and working out the speakers, combined with a high gain preamp that's voiced for metal. Look at all the amps that are generally considered the best for metal, they are all high wattage monsters, with a preamp voiced for a lot of tight gain.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by ixelion
I guess it's pedal time, new amp doesn't make any sense since I don't find much gain difference between 5 watters.

Is it safe to put a clean boost in addition to the TS9, will that get me more distortion?

IMO, the VJ can get more metal sounding than the champ.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.