Hey guys, for my college intro to speech class, I have to do a 5-7 minute "Demonstration Speech", where i do the demonstration plus talk through it, explaining it.

((I've been playing for 7 months btw))

I was thinking Id do something with my guitar, but what?

I was thinking maybe play a few riffs from a simple song like enter sandman, ironman, crazy train, or killing in the name, and explaining my way through them

A problem is though I have to explain while oing it, and I dont play so well while talking.

I was also thinking doing something more simple like setting up the guitar to play (tuning it, selecting your amp settings, switching form bridge pickup to neck pickup, etc.), but i dont know.

What do you all think? Any ideas?
Do something that will be easier to explain.

And if your class is full of people that don't play guitar or that listen to rap, then they won't listen to you anyway.
Quote by toxicity33
When I was like 3(4?) My friend and I hatched a plan to murder the easy-chair in my living room. We ran in there tipped it over and stabbed it a bunch(with previously aquired steak knives) and left it for dead.

point out that your amp has a "kill zone" setting....and that if anyone alternate picks while on this setting....11 million ppl die, instantly....
that would make an awesome demo

ps yes i do realise that i am no help what so ever
take them thru a solo tht highlights loads of mini techniques e.g. hammer ons, bends etc. then get some one up to try and when they suck miserably u will look like a god on guitar!
Well, talking during it does not mean you are doing like a vocalist would do. Simply hit a chord, tell what's going on with the chord, switch to another chord- do same thing, then at the end just jam through it without talking a couple times. That way you explain what's happening and you can use when you're playing without talking as a transition. It will be an effective way to go from say, here's the theory of a chord, to like here's why I like to play guitar or something like that.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Play the main riff from Astronomy by Metallica. It's quite a cool riff and you don't really have to be into guitaring to appreciate it.

But otherwise, I agree with Dance.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Play the main riff from Astronomy by Metallica. It's quite a cool riff and you don't really have to be into guitaring to appreciate it.

But otherwise, I agree with Dance.

That's a Blue Oyster song, guess Metallica covered it. O well.

One simple 2 word phrase for you: Pink Floyd.

Easiest music in the book... that or Smoke on The Water.

Quote by Demons&Wizards
point out that your amp has a "kill zone" setting....and that if anyone alternate picks while on this setting....11 million ppl die, instantly....
that would make an awesome demo

ps yes i do realise that i am no help what so ever

lol, but seriously, the chord idea isnt a bad one, but my problem is i'm not very good at jamming w/ chords as i only know like 10 (I'm much better at lead stuff)
Quote by SSnake77
lol, but seriously, the chord idea isnt a bad one, but my problem is i'm not very good at jamming w/ chords as i only know like 10 (I'm much better at lead stuff)

Then explain the chords but jam a little lead ditty. It still accomplishes the same task.

you could demonstrate how songs are put together using chord sequences, and how chords and lead work relate to each other using pentatonics, blues, etc.
Do something easy even non-guitar players can understand/appreciate.

If you class is 90% rappers though, set your amp to kill and unleash hell.
WTLTL 2011