I recently bought a 450 watt berhinger bass head because i needed more volume for band practices. I was origanally playing a 100 watt head through my friends home made cab. the cab only consits of one 15 inch speaker, but my friend keeps telling me it has 1200 watt handling. when i played with the new head it isnt very much louder and the head peaks out very easily. can someone tell me what im doing wrong. i think i just need to buy a new cab.
A lot of people would claim that it is the Behringer. Behringer often quote the peak Wattage- 450W in this case, instead of the RMS. So I think it is probably the head that is letting you down for volume.
signature
well it's probably for 3 reasons:-

1. your freind might have either not known what the actual speaker was and assumed it could do that, thought that it was 1200w rms when it actually meant PEAK wattage, meaning it only handled 600w or he was just lying to sound cool. Either way it's not as loud as the guy says.

2. it's the same cab so to be honest it's not going to be THAT much louder anyway. What you need is something bigger with more speakers my freind!

3. behringer usually bull**** about their actual power output so it's probably only like 200w anyway plus the fact that they're probably talking about 4 ohms whereas your mate's cab is probably 8, reducing wattage further.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Pushing a head through a vastly overpowered cab will kill the head. Your problems are twofold:

1. You bought Behringer gear, which is generally considered utter rubbish.
2. Your head and cab are hugely mismatched.

You need to go out and get yourself a head and cab that are correctly matched up (same wattage and ohms). Otherwise you'll keep getting a horrible sound and probably end up frying your gear.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
why all the behringer hate? i use a BX4500H and a BB410 cab and i love the sound. what you need to do is get a 4x10. they have a lot richer and fuller sound. i played on a 1x15 when i was shoppin around and it was not as nice sounding as the 4x10.

EDIT: the reason why it's peaking is probably because you have ur levels set too high. turn down the highs and mids to about halfway and it'll sounds great.
GAS List:
Nothing
Last edited by Flummery at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by Flummery
why all the behringer hate? i use a BX4500H and a BB410 cab and i love the sound. what you need to do is get a 4x10. they have a lot richer and fuller sound. i played on a 1x15 when i was shoppin around and it was not as nice sounding as the 4x10.

EDIT: the reason why it's peaking is probably because you have ur levels set too high. turn down the highs and mids to about halfway and it'll sounds great.

There is Behringer hate aplenty because there is shit Behringer gear aplenty, and their business practices, at least in the realm of guitar, bass and effects, go thus:

Quality = more outgoing costs = less profit = screw quality = bad gear.

And the 4x10 vs 1x15 thing thing is entirely subjective. 15's give me the bone rattling thunderous low end that I personally don't feel 10's can quite give me. Plenty of people use 10's for their better high end response, which I don't need - and I have a tweeter horn to help there anyhow. There is a sound difference between the two, undeniably, but neither is better than the other.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 18, 2007,