I have a guy willing to sell me an original 5150 Combo for $400 - looking online and on eBay, that SEEMS like a fantastic deal. He doesn't have a very good ad, can't give me pictures, etc, but obviously I'll make sure it looks in good condition and at least warm up the tubes and play a bit to make sure I don't hear anything funky going on. I can't play that much, though, so I prefer to just get in and out of there.

Is that a good deal? I feel like at that price I can buy it, and then later if I'm not happy with it, I can take some pics and put a better ad together on eBay and at least get my money back, if not a little extra. Thoughts?

I was going to save up the $700 and get the Line 6 / Bogner 112 coming out, but at least this amp has a proven track record, and is almost half the price.
I saw one for 500-ish at a Guitar Center about a year ago, so it probably is the real deal. Like said try before you buy. It is a good deal even if the tubes are shot.
As long as you can test it out - go for it! If you don't like it you can at least re-sell it and probably make around $100.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

That's how I feel - I have a Marshall JVM 410H Head on a Line 6 Vetta 4x12 Cab as my "home" amp, and I just love it, I have it sitting in a corner where it probably will sit forever (the cab is WAY too heavy to cart around), and a couple of those channels are my favorite tones on earth without any pedals or anything.

BUT, I need something portable - I have a little Roland MicroCube sitting at work, which is basically fine for shutting the door at lunch and practicing a few exercises from my last lesson, but now I'm starting to talk to people here and there about jamming together, so I want something tube with a great clean, and either a great dirty channel or a clean that works well with pedals, which everyone says this does.

If I can get $400, and the tubes don't seem to be fading out, then even if I blow another $10 in gas money to get there, I figure I can always re-sell it now that EVH is back in the news and going on tour.

I can't seem to find ANYBODY that hates this amp, so I think I'll go for it.
^ the clean channel on the 5150 isn't great, its usable with a chorus/delay pedal but don't get this amp if your planning on using the clean a lot.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Oh crap, really? I didn't know that, I thought these work really well with pedals. Does it just not sound very "full", or does it break up too soon, or sound thin?
They do work well with pedals, but i play metal and i don't use the clean very often. If you are planning on playing a lot of clean stuff, i would suggest not getting it.
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
depends on what he's going to play? What music are you going to play? what bands do you want to sound like?
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
I would still suggest the 6505 (or the +/II version if you want sliightly nicer cleans) sure the cleans aren't Fender-standard, but they're useable.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I like the "heavier" clean like on Fenders (like if I'm playing little riffs and solos and scales, I like it to sound more "Blues" than "Jazz Chorus"). A lot of 90's rock and alt-rock and heavy modern rock, which I'm not worried about on this amp. Plus a few indie rock tunes (OK Go, Bloc Party style stuff), which will probably not sound right on this amp (they all use Fender Deville 410s and amps like that, with a Rat and Delay setup).
If your planning on playing blues, i would not get this amp. There are much better options.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
keep in mind the threadstarter is talking about the COMBO 5150. This variant is biased way warmer than the head and has a reverb control to boot. I own one myself.

Because of the warmer bias, the cleans sounds much fuller than the head 5150. The reverb is subtle yes, but it does help with the cleans too. Its no fender reverb, but it'll do the job fine.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by sdhupelia
Oh crap, really? I didn't know that, I thought these work really well with pedals. Does it just not sound very "full", or does it break up too soon, or sound thin?

My experience with 5150's says that if you use a good snappy guitar like a PRS or Fat Strat through them on humbucker setting, they can sound very awesome with cleans, as long as it is EQed properly. A chorus would help though. Its all about EQing it perfectly though.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
It could be a good deal, but the price seems awfully low. As everyone else has said, try it if you can. If he won't give you any pictures or anything it seems a little fishy...
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!