hi everybody!

yeah, im a noob at theory, and i need help

i was playin about and found a nice little chord progression Am-G-F, i do however recognise this out of stairway to heaven, the bit straight after the solo (dunno why i say that because it has nothin to do with my question, just that i am observant.)

so could you please tell me what key Am-G-F is in, and better yet how to find out the key for myself.

any help appreciated,
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
im assuming that its probly Am, because of that reason, but i just wanna make sure.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Actually the key of the song is usually the last chord/note of the song. It's the resolution. There is usually some sort of cadence that resolves to the tonic (the starting note of the key) to give the listener an ending.

A song could start on any note, really...I mean, listen to songs that start with a pickup. Take for example All Along the Watchtower. The song is in c# minor, but it starts with the B chord: B - c#m - A - B.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
so in my progression its in F major, because i play the F chord for 2 measures rather than returning to Am?

Quote by CoreysMonster

Am-G-F is in A minor. Those three chords resolve to A minor. How long you play each chord has nothing to do with it. All of the chords have no sharps or flats in the notes, which fits into the key of A minor.

As far as figuring out other songs, you want to try and listen to what note or chord your ear wants the music to resolve to. It's kinda hard to explain, but it gets easier as you practice.
Quote by permanentmarker
so in my progression its in F major, because i play the F chord for 2 measures rather than returning to Am?
It can't be in F major. G chords don't fit diatonically in F major.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
The key is A minor.

The progression is i-VI-VII
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.