Why are pickups specifically labeled for the neck or bridge? What's the fundamental difference?

What if you put a neck pickup in the bridge position?

Somebody told me they may be spaced differently, but on my guitar they are the same. Then I'm told they have different output levels, but then for instance, different bridge pickups have different outputs. Well?

Please explain.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
idk what the difference is but i have 2 emg 81s, one in the neck n other in bridge and there is a little difference. idk how or why or anything though
edit: bridge ones also are generally higher output than neck
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Unplug your guitar.

Strum the strings right next to the bridge, and then strum the strings right next to the neck.

You'll notice that when you strum right next to the bridge, it sounds very bright compared to when you strum right next to the neck.

The different pickups have different tonal properties depending on what position they are for.\

*Usually*, the neck pickup tries to accentuate warmth and smoothness while the bridge pickup accentuates clarity.

It's obviously different for every pickup.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm no expert on the subject, but bridge pickups usually have a higher electrical resistance, and the strings don't vibrate as much near the bridge as they would as you approach the 12th fret. There's no set "rule" that you can't use bridge pickups as necks, or vice versa. You've got it now, so experiment with it and let us know how it works for you!
Quote by MaidenMania
Hey ive seen u guys use quite a lot of this word around in threads and it confuses me....what with all those pictures and all (surprise buttsecks??)...so uh can u jus tell me wat the hell its supposed to signify
You have more vibration at the neck than the bridge thus the bridge pickup needs a higher output

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
You have more vibration at the neck than the bridge thus the bridge pickup needs a higher output

+1

But the thing about the different tonal properties is also true.
Specifically, I found an Evolution for the neck at a really good price, and I want to put it in the bridge. Problems?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Why are pickups specifically labeled for the neck or bridge? What's the fundamental difference?

What if you put a neck pickup in the bridge position?

Somebody told me they may be spaced differently, but on my guitar they are the same. Then I'm told they have different output levels, but then for instance, different bridge pickups have different outputs. Well?

Please explain.

If you put the neck pickup in the bridge position, it would be alot lower output. If you were to put the bridge in the neck position, it would sound horrible. And, with humbuckers, it has to do with the way the poles are, notice the neck pickup's adjustable poles are closer to the neck, and the Bridge pickups adjustable poles are closer to the bridge.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.