Page 1 of 2
Hey all. Lately I've been thinking of taking martial arts classes, and I was wondering if any of you could give me some recommendations on what would be a good style to learn(for self defence, street fights, etc). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, is it possible to take Parkour classes or do you just have to kinda pick it up on your own?
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
Krav Maga is pretty much the ultimate self-defense martial art. Do it...it's also hella fun to learn.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Jiu Jitsu is great for self-defence and can be used effectively against normal street fighting...plus,all the skills you learn at the start are just as effective as the ones you learn at the end,but just slightly more simple to do :P
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
try combat hapkido. It combines jiu jitsu, aikido, krav maga, muay thai, and various phillipino martial arts. It's pretty much pure self defense and is taught to lots of law enforcement officials nowadays.
There's Parkour classes in my town in a school gym but it's quite big here for some reason, I dunno if everywhere will have it.
Quote by Sabu
There's Parkour classes in my town in a school gym but it's quite big here for some reason, I dunno if everywhere will have it.

parkour is not a martial art n00b
Quote by denizenz
Three words for you:
Shaolin Kung Fu

Yeah...good luck getting the money to travel to china and enroll in a shaolin academy. Not to mention the unbelievably tough training regimen.

Quote by Philip_87
**** all that! The ultimate streefight sport is Thai boxing.

Been watching Ong Bak have you? No. Muay Thai boxing is first and foremost a competition martial art. Sure, you could take on a few punks in a street fight, but only if they were terrible fighters and didn't have any weapons on them.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
I wanna learn some mixed martial arts but i'd feel stupid because im 17...

Learn some muy thai or mixed martial arts
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by musicianamedave
Krav Maga is pretty much the ultimate self-defense martial art. Do it...it's also hella fun to learn.

+1 on krav maga
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Quote by ch715dallat
parkour is not a martial art n00b

Guessing you didn't read the first post
Try Kenpo, I studied it for almost ten years. It's main focus is street fighting and self defense. I learned this early on also. almost 90 percent of fights end up on the ground so learn something with that in mind too.
Muay Thai and Brazilian Jujitsu.

That's offensive physical attacks and offensive grappling.

Tae Kwon Do and Judo.

Physical defensive blocking/counter and defensive grappling.

Hap Ki do and Tae Kyon.

Overall offensive and defensive.
Quote by musicianamedave
Yeah...good luck getting the money to travel to china and enroll in a shaolin academy. Not to mention the unbelievably tough training regimen.

What, 24 hours a day is a small price to pay for near invincibility. Also, there's a guy in New York who teaches it...I'm sure not to the same extent the monks do but whatever I never said it would be cheap.
I did Hwa Rang Do for five years, a well-rounded martial art, and a great attitude across the whole organization. Grappling, sparring, full contact, 108 weapons, etc...
um...as far as i know, yes they DO have parkour classes, but mostly, YOU have to work, cause no-one can teach you anything you know, you have to work really hard to get it right, my dumb-ass friend nearly got killed doing it...

(if you are reading this matthew, you ARE a dumb-ass bro)

and um...google it, google has got everything,

oh another thing, type your future wife, if you don't find anything, you wont be married, EVER!!!
You could always do multiple styles throughout the week, providing you have the money to pay for that many lessons.

If you're not ridiculously loaded, I'd recommend starting with Jiu Jitsu so that you can thoroughly understand basic and simple moves and concepts. Then move onto Krav Maga so that you can cover weapons defence. You should see if you can get some basic weapons training so that you can kick ass with a broomstick, or in the right situations, a barstool.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by denizenz
What, 24 hours a day is a small price to pay for near invincibility. Also, there's a guy in New York who teaches it...I'm sure not to the same extent the monks do but whatever I never said it would be cheap.

you can still learn the concept of its movements and how to apply its fighting styles to real life situations.. but shaolin kung fu isn't something you just learn, its something you live.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
they still teach krav maga? that's ridiculous, what do you have to teach?

all you "basically" do it take cheap shots, and attack people with whatever nearby object you can get a hold of. i wouldnt pay money for people to teach that to me.
Quote by armon77

all you "basically" do it take cheap shots, and attack people with whatever nearby object you can get a hold of. i wouldnt pay money for people to teach that to me.

You're kidding me right?
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by armon77

Define "cheap" shot. If someone is trying to take you down, you take them down. There's a reason the art is considered martial.

However, what you are and aren't willing to pay money for is your own choice.
Quote by musicianamedave
You're kidding me right?

i thought krav maga is where you beat people with household objects, choke people, gage their eyes out, hit them in the groins, break legs, basically just like a street fight.
Quote by armon77
i thought krav maga is where you beat people with household objects, choke people, gage their eyes out, hit them in the groins, break legs, basically just like a street fight.

I think you're confusing Krav Maga with Drunken Bar Fight.

But yes, Krav Maga does include groin shots, weapons systems, and breaking bones. However, the way you've described it is equivalent to saying "Oh, Shotokan Karate? That's just hitting things real hard."
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by armon77

It's like self-defence, but useful.
I did 8 years of judo.. I learned nothing
I'm doing pencak silat for 1 year now, I'm third in Belgium and I can go fight in England this summer.

It's really an awsome sport
I'll post a pic in a min

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by armon77

well, unlike others, its not a "sport." and in most dire situations, you fight with anything you have, and with anything you can utilize.

when a discipline says no quarters and maximum efficiency in real life situations, then bet that even the proverbial kitchen sink will be used as a weapon
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
from wikipedia, which i know isnt the ultimate sorce but anyways: "Krav Maga generally assumes a no quarter situation; the attacks and defenses are intended for potentially lethal threat situations, and aim to neutralize these and escape via maximum pain or damage to opponents, as rapidly and safely as possible. Crippling attacks to vulnerable body parts, including groin and eye strikes, headbutts, and other efficient and potentially brutal attacks, improvized use of any objects available, and maximizing personal safety in a fight, are emphasized."

just sounds like something that a person would naturally do if they were fighting to me, but whatever. probably hindsight bias on my part.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I did 8 years of judo.. I learned nothing
I'm doing pencak silat for 1 year now, I'm third in Belgium and I can go fight in England this summer.

It's really an awsome sport
I'll post a pic in a min

I've heard that's a pretty solid martial art, never tried it though. Care to give a brief description of it's style?

Quote by armon77
from wikipedia, which i know isnt the ultimate sorce but anyways: "Krav Maga generally assumes a no quarter situation; the attacks and defenses are intended for potentially lethal threat situations, and aim to neutralize these and escape via maximum pain or damage to opponents, as rapidly and safely as possible. Crippling attacks to vulnerable body parts, including groin and eye strikes, headbutts, and other efficient and potentially brutal attacks, improvized use of any objects available, and maximizing personal safety in a fight, are emphasized."

just sounds like something that a person would naturally do if they were fighting to me, but whatever. probably hindsight bias on my part.

A person naturally doing those things without any training is going to be destroyed by anyone who has even basic martial arts training.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Last edited by musicianamedave at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by armon77

Holy crap, psychology terminology?!?! Noooooo...

Oh wait, looking at your title, it all makes sense.

They do teach you how to most effectively break body parts, how to most effectively hit/damage the opponent etc. in Krav Maga, making it pretty worthwhile to learn.
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by musicianamedave
I've heard that's a pretty solid martial art, never tried it though. Care to give a brief description of it's style?

It's a full-contact martial art. You can hit everywhere you want except: head (because of no gloves), balls (yeah .. ) and knees (If you hit them a bit to hard, you won't be able to walk anymore). We use al kinds kicks, punches and other cool moves. Like a scissor, thats when you jump up (partner facing sideways) and place your right foot on his chest and your left behind his legs and clam his so he collapses.. gettit ?

You can also go the very technical way when you just want to take your victims out really quick. You also lear to use swords, knives (a lot of diffrent knives), nunchaks, ...

I really love it

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Learn Bojiutsu, fighting with staffs

And i had to pick up PK on my own too XD
Member of Cryptozoology Group!

Quote by Ichimaru
It's simple to sound like them, tune your guitars down a couple of steps but don't worry if it's actually IN tune or not, then just plug in and throw your guitar out the window.
I would probably learn Jujitsu personally, which Im going into the marines so they will give me quite a bit of training in various styles which im looking forward to. As far as parkour goes me and my brother in law have been using it to work with, there is no where around here that does it though(most people dont even know what it is.) Lol we just go to the track and jump over rails, fences building and practice vaulting, jumping, rolling, etc. Its a really really good work out. Just map out an obstacle course and run it a few times and go as fast as you can. You start off a little slower but you build speed quickly
Quote by happytimeharry
You just made my penis retract into my body in fear. Thank you for that unpleasant feeling Stinkles...

Quote by sashki
So the next day when you were a girl again, you'd stick a dead willy dickinson into yourself? Sounds wrong to me.

Lol
Quote by noxiosimitator
It's a full-contact martial art. You can hit everywhere you want except: head (because of no gloves), balls (yeah .. ) and knees (If you hit them a bit to hard, you won't be able to walk anymore). We use al kinds kicks, punches and other cool moves. Like a scissor, thats when you jump up (partner facing sideways) and place your right foot on his chest and your left behind his legs and clam his so he collapses.. gettit ?

You can also go the very technical way when you just want to take your victims out really quick. You also lear to use swords, knives (a lot of diffrent knives), nunchaks, ...

I really love it

Sounds pretty good, but you bring up my one issue with most martial arts today: rules. In real life there are no rules. For the longest time I took Tae Kwon Do and Shotokan Karate thinking that they would be good for self defense purposes. Eventually (after I got mugged a few years back) I realized that i should be taking a martial art that has no rules per se. Now for the last 5 years I've been taking a mix of Krav Maga and Ninjutsu (with specific concentration on Taijutsu). They're two of the most effective martial arts I've ever seen.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Jeet Kun Do seems like one of those I would love to do.

Bruce Lee ftmfw.

But Kung Fu is awesome, and Karate is really cool.

Learning Drunken Monkey Style seems like it would awesome. I mean, it's unpredictable.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Sep 18, 2007,
Page 1 of 2