I've been sweeping 5 strings for a while and am not that bad at it, but alot of my favorite bands have 3 string sweeps and I'm having a little trouble doing them. Some of it has to do with sometimes there are 2 notes on the G string and 2 notes on the E and my picking hand doesn't want to hit the string twice in that small amout of time. Any advice?

Could it be that when I was doing 5 string picking, I would hit the high e at 12, hammer on the 15, then descend by picking the 12?
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
The trick about 3 string sweeping is that you typically sweep 2 sets of 2 strings, alternating between the ascending and descending part. Most sweeping patterns don't have a double note at the top/bottom, so you have to reverse your pick before you hit the last part of the sweep. As for hammer-ons and pull-offs, they are pretty much 100% necessary if you wanna play several frets on one string, unless you wanna change to alternate picking during your sweep. Seeing that most people move their hand slightly different when sweeping, change technique midway is not easy, for the average guitar player. It's a bit about preference, really.
Quote by kevinm4435
Practice economy picking, it'll help a ton.

I've actually looked at that, but didn't get it. Could you explain it to me?

And for the other post, I'll have to try only sweeping two strings and doing a hammer on and pull-off on the last string to see if that works for me.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by kevinm4435
Practice economy picking, it'll help a ton.

when u always pick up/down/up/down?
That's alternate, isn't economy something else?

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Well if lets say you sweep 11, 13, 13
just sweep the first 13, and then barre your finger down and get the second.
it's what i've been doing..
Cancer.