Hey there,

I'm still quite new to playing guitar, so forgive me being a bit stupid hehe.

Ive been looking at this tab : HERE

At the beginning it says "tune your e string to a low A", now can anyone explain, preferably in simple terms , how I go about doing that ? (and no answers like "just turn the peg", and yes I have searcher both here and google, but the most that explains is drop D, and I dont understand enough to work out dropping my E string to low A)

Thanks
Last edited by -Reborn- at Sep 18, 2007,
Detune you Low E string down 4 steps to become A. Thats pretty damn low, you really need a thick string gauge.
Ok, "down 4 steps" .. see I really dont understand, how do I tune it down 4 steps ?
the guy who tabbed it said .52 is perfect for it...Yea right...I have .12s (.56 on low E) and I can't imagine tuning to A and it not buzzing?

EDIT:

Quote by -Reborn-
Ok, "down 4 steps" .. see I really dont understand, how do I tune it down 4 steps ?

Tune the E string down ALOT. And make it match an octave below the second string (A string) xD
Forget tuning that low, 4 steps, don't even think about doing it. The lowest I ever dared to go was C, and that felt way too busy.
One step is two frets on the fretboard. That means you tune the string so that the 8th fret is an E.
I'm a communist. Really.
wow....thats low. like he said, .52s are a good gauge, and .48's are ok. so go out and buy a pack of .12 or .13s. Your E string should be an octave lower than ur A string. Kinda how in drop D, ur E is an octave below ur normal D string.
Maybe it's for a baritone tuned one whole step down.

edit: or are there baritone guitars tuned to a as well? I don't know much about them.
OR, you could do it the easy way: 12th fret E =open A. fixed
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Jonjy2
the guy who tabbed it said .52 is perfect for it...Yea right...I have .12s (.56 on low E) and I can't imagine tuning to A and it not buzzing?

EDIT:

Tune the E string down ALOT. And make it match an octave below the second string (A string) xD

string height has to be adjusted for tuning that low so that you don't get fret rattle/buzz. i use .70 - .13 tuned standard but i can drop all the way down to G if i use a shim under the string.

as someone else said, just tune your 6th string to your fifth string and you'll be fine (i recommend the 12th fret suggestion someone stated above)