I play slide guitar and im thinking of putting some .11's on my Epiphone Les Paul. I tune my guitar to Open E tuning and i want to know if this will cause too much stress on the neck?
I dunno, If i were you I'd just tune to open D instead. It's the same as E but a whole step down. So you can capo at the 2nd fret and it'd be E, and then you can take off the capo and play in D too. Plus, your strings will last longer from the decreased tension, and it certainly won't put too much stress on the neck.
well i now that Derek Truck is always tuned to Open E on his SG and he doesn't use a capo. i think he uses .11's.
um...i think it should, but .11s are pretty heavy man, i forgot what gauge strings im using right now...hehe*nervous chuckle* im in trouble now XD

well it should be stressing your neck a little bit, cause changing the gauge to a higher level with have more string tension, and do what the capo guy said, that work fine as well
should be fine, just be sure to get the truss rod adjusted, but don't do it yourself unless you know what you're doing
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by .smudged.
that would be retarded to do, your a,d and g strings will be too tense

you do know that some people prefer tauter strings and that it is a huge advantage in playing slide?
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by spaminator101
you do know that some people prefer tauter strings and that it is a huge advantage in playing slide?

Okay I wont reply to threads without reading the first post. Sowy

They're good, go ahead, you might have to take you guitar to a professional, because you might need some truss rod adjusment.