it doesn't sound like he's using minor pentatonic for hallowed be thy name though.
and what song dont use pentatonic minor?
mostly your bog standard E minor scale, that would probably account for 95% of their songs.

some of the newer stuff has more variety though, in Paschendale for example the first solo is in Em then it goes to Am and finally Dm... i think
Adrian Smith ofte uses a 6th when he plays in minor. Sometimes he also bends 2nd to 3rd, like in the Aces High Solo.

Dave Murray often uses solo-lines with pullo-offs to open strings, like in Aces High, Hallowed be thy Name and some other
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
diminished, harmonic minor scales, natural minor scales, and also many derivitives of the church modes thats what they use... also its not just scales they modulate a lot during there solo's...
can someone post them please?
the diminished, harmonic minor, natural minor, and church modes?
like a picture of them.
Quote by the1nonlycrazi
diminished, harmonic minor scales, natural minor scales, and also many derivitives of the church modes thats what they use... also its not just scales they modulate a lot during there solo's...

Their solos (for the most part) aren't that indepth. Natural minor should be fine for all of them.
^ Apply that formula to any major scale, and you'll get the notes for natural minor.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
i dont know what that stuff means i just started on scales

EDIT: can someone please tell me what modulate means
Quote by Jimi Vaugndrix
i dont know what that stuff means i just started on scales

EDIT: can someone please tell me what modulate means

Modulate is to change... Its not just a music term! It means like you move form the E minor scale to the A minor would be a modulation. Iron Maiden use Natural Minor for their songs, as for a tab just google it??
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

start this pattern on the 9th fret

Guitar Tablature

E |------------------------------3------------------|
B |------------------------3-5-7--------------------|
G |--------------------4-5--------------------------|
D |--------------4-5-7------------------------------|
A |--------3-5-7------------------------------------|
E |--3-5-7------------------------------------------|

whats the difference between a scale that sounds good with a chord and a when they actuaklly in key
The difference is learning the scale properly rather than just as a tab
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
powerslave uses a phrygian scale to get that 'egyptiany' sound
You should learn about the major scale and how to alter it to get the other scales such as the minor ones. That would be amazingly helpful

Your natural minor shape, starting on the root goes like this:

|----|-x-|---|-x-|-x-|
|----|-x-|-x-|---|-x-|
|-x-|-x-|---|-x-|---|
|----|-x-|---|-x-|---|
|----|-x-|---|-x-|-x-|
|----|-x-|---|-x-|-x-|

That in tabs for example would be

----------------------------------5-7-8-
---------------------------5-6-8--------
--------------------4-5-7---------------
---------------5-7-----------------------
--------5-7-8---------------------------
-5-7-8----------------------------------

Just find the note on the low E string that seems to resolve the song or make it sound complete, and play notes from that shape to improvise (if it is in the minor key of course)

This is the easy way but I strongly suggest you learn how to make the scales since that will cut back on memorizing patterns and you'll know them off the top of your head.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Apr 25, 2010,
Iron Maiden use the Natural Minor scale a lot. Adrian Smith uses the pentatonic more often because he has a bluesier way of playing. If you're just learning scales, I would stick to those two, don't worry about the harmonic minor right now, or modes.

Remember that in order to really use scales effectively, you will have to understand them. Don't take shortcuts. You should learn how they are built and how the are related to chords (read: learn the theory behind chords).
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK