Page 1 of 2
My first project was a stratocaster where i simply brought abody and neck and did the electrics myself.

So now going for the full thing of designing and building from scratch.

its already gone through many stages already.

from this:

to this:

Then buying my peice of mahogany:

and then drawing my final design:

Sorry its a little hard to see it, if you click on the picture, its a little clearer

So its now ready for cutting, which will be done in the next few days. will update on progress as i go.
And let me know what you think

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alot of progress by page 2 already
Last edited by TomR at Oct 14, 2007,
sweet. what kind of pickups are you planning on? what kind of bridge setup? are you going to buy or build the neck?
Pickups i'm planning on is either 2 humbuckers, or one humbucker and a P90, seymour duncan most likely.
And bridge will either be, a gibson style, or floyd rose, not 100% decided on that one yet.
And think i'm gunna buy it, building its gunna be too much hassle to build one actually.
nice, i was gonna do this awhile ago. What are you using to cut the holes in the body?
Quote by tom708
nice, i was gonna do this awhile ago. What are you using to cut the holes in the body?

Got a routing drill to do it. so won't be too dificult to do really
i agree with the buying of the neck. its hard to make one as i have caught on.

do the floyd!

what kind of neck you going to get? 24 fretter? headstock?

sorry about all the Q's lol
Quote by thegrungyhippie
i agree with the buying of the neck. its hard to make one as i have caught on.

do the floyd!

what kind of neck you going to get? 24 fretter? headstock?

Think 24 frets, and paddle headstock so i can design my own.
Also, want to put in a few cool electric things.
Stuff like a Kill switch and FX
any idea's for stuff greatly appreciated
Quote by thegrungyhippie
by FX do you mean like a built in distortion function or a flanger?

yes, sorry.
Just not sure what to put in it, want some kind of distortion, and some other stuff to do some random sounds aswell.
Last edited by TomR at Sep 19, 2007,
Started The cutting today!
Havn't got very far as i ran out of time, pics below.

Well then, finished cutting the shape of it, and gave it a quick sanding to get rid of all the rough edges but thats it so far.
Pics below, let me know what you think

dude its like a lesJEM lol. it looks very comfortable.
are you beveling the edge or anything ?
and you should 7 string it (Y)#

its very nice.,
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Think i might just round the edges off. Can't be bothered with Binding or anything fancy, might change my mind when i come to it, but i have no plans to do anything right now.
And i was considering making it a 7 string, but think that might be for the next project
Quote by sashki
What're you cutting it out with and how thick is the body?

Using a Jigsaw (mind you, mahogany wears the blades down a hell of alot)
and its just under 2 inches (same as a les paul) So its a bit on the heavy side, but hopefully when i've routed in all out, it'll lighten up a bit
Right, an update on hows its going

I want to start routing out, BUT, as i am ordering the neck not building one, the one i've ordered is currently out of stock, so won't be with me for an unknown period of time.
but i don't want to start routing until It arrives as i don't know how i'm setting my neck yet. and i don't want to measure it all wrong

So just keeping you posted, hopefully won't be too long
The neck and basic electronics are on there way!

Updated pictures within a week.
3-5 days for delivery of neck so will start work as soon as it arrives
The neck has finally arrived
and so have some of the electrics

Today routed out the neck pocket, pics below

Neck is maple with an ebony fretboard.
very nice , is that a stewmac neck?
if so is the headstock angled ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
very nice , is that a stewmac neck?
if so is the headstock angled ?

Yes it is a stewmac neck. Is amazing for the price in my opinion

And no the headstock isn't angled
Last edited by TomR at Oct 11, 2007,
done this design for the body.
Matt black finish
With a cracked mirror over the top, but recessed into the body, so not too look like a scratch plate.

let me know what you think
Quote by TomR
Also, want to put in a few cool electric things.
Stuff like a Kill switch and FX
any idea's for stuff greatly appreciated

i think that's the name of the company in russia.
they make lighted pick guards.
/\ Well concerning effects. I already have my killswitch,
and i'm going to buy a couple of those pedal kits you can get, and convert the connections to put them inside the guitar.
Definatly going to put an MXR phase90 in it, also want some kind of delay, and distortion, maybe some kind of fuzz.
Routed out the floyd rose bridge today.
Pics below

Still need to do rear cavity. But hardest part is done
pickup routing and rear bridge cavity now routed
and better pics than yesterdays below

Pickups have been routed for a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck
nice but one concern, your strings vs the pickup covers becuase of the recessing on the bridge the pickup covers might need sinking too .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
nice but one concern, your strings vs the pickup covers becuase of the recessing on the bridge the pickup covers might need sinking too .

yess they've only been rested there to see what it'd look like, nothings fixed yet, the neck hasn't even got a neck plate or screws.
But yes it did cross my mind that they were too high
Been ages since my last update on this

and well, thats because progress is really slow. having a few problems with stewmac putting the wrong value on the package. somehow managed to confuse £100, with £2,500.
So been put on hold till this is sorted.

but anyway
picked up the neck today and realised i needed to design a headstock. As i brought a padle headstock.
pics below

I tried to make it as big as i could without it seeming too big, as from reading on the fourums, everyone's saying that more mass on the headstock increases sustain, so i thought why not make the headstock as big as i can, without it looking odd.
Let me know what you think
Progress!! well sort of.

Just ordered a couple of large sheet s of aluminium. As i've now decided to make this a completly mirrored guitar, or mirrored front and silver paint on the back and sides. Doing it this way means i can front rout which will be alot easier, saves needing to rout through 2 inches of mahoganny, now don't need to go down so far, keeping the sustain

SO, when thats arrived, i can get some real progress!
looks nice!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
looks nice!

Thanks

And i have made my final desisions on whats going to be in it.

Mahogany Body, Aluminium Top
Maple Neck, Ebony Fretboard
Neck pickup - Fernandes Sustainer Pickup
Bridge Pickup - Bareknuckle nail bomb
Licensed Floyd Rose Bridge
And Srap Locks

All in all, comes to about £650
May, when its finished put some built in effects in, something along the lines of a phaser, or one of the kits from guitarfetish, but will try those out in one of my other guitars first.

So, good bit of kit in my opinion when its done
Actual progress done today, the neck is fitted! at last

And also i've taken 3mm of the top so the aluminium sheet can slot straight in with no hassle when i get round to cutting that. the reason for this is i wasn't planning on the full body scratchplate when i origonally routed for the floyd rose, So if i'd of just put the aluminium on the top of the wood, it would have been to high, so did this to solve the problem.
Pic below:
I see inerest in this build is soring! aha
But i shall go on

I have now cut the metal to shape and cut out the bridge and pickup holes in it
Still needs sanding to round the edges off and needs polishing as i've made a fair few marks on it, will come out though so no bother

Pictures below
They have blurred slightly, so sorry about that

very nice. But arent Fernandes Sustainers single-coils? i could be wrong. the NailBomb is a good choice. And the aluminum can double as sheilding if u stuff some into the cavities.
you can get it in both single coil and humbucker, and the humbucker one is cheaper for some reason, not sure why.
and ihad a question about the aluminium, will it need to be grounded to act as shielding?
Page 1 of 2