i was wanting to record some music, i have beatcraft and mixcraft and want to add my guitar playing to the beats. Can u suggest a microphone which i can use to record from my acoustic and electric guitar. preferably cheap but good value.
Line in > Micing.

At least for me anyway.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Line in is better if you don't have a good amplifier or set of mikes, or if you don't know how to correctly mike an amp. There's a great art to this, and not many blokes know it.

Most people are going to suggest the Shure SM57.

However, I am going to recommend this:

http://www.wersound.co.uk/music/listproducts.asp?modelid=2181

It's roughly based on the Shure Beta SM57, however it's not an exact copy. As such, it's recommended for acoustic guitar.

I've not seen them on American websites, only limey ones, although you can get them flown in quite cheaply now in some places. Where are you based?

Soundclips, you ask?

I've used it in just about everything I've ever done.

www.myspace.com/hiroshimasoundtrackforanewage
www.myspace.com/trashkittens
www.myspace.com/johnnyskullfck
i live in England, i do have a cheap amp and i am completely new to the whole recording business. what are soundclips? do you use beatcraft and mixcraft and with the beats u have made with beatcraft can u just record over them with your guitar using mixcraft.
With the microphone, do u just place it next to your amp/acoustic sound hole and plug the microphone into the microphone port at the back of the computer.
I had a look at that microphone and it looks/sounds good, thinking of buying one in the near future, oh and whats Line in > Micing.

just found this microphone which is cheap, would this be alright for recording my electric/acoustic guitar. (the top one for £7.99), i am not really too bothered if the quality iisnt the best as long as its descent quality as i am only a beginner when it comes to recording.
http://www.musicianshop.com/cgi/musicianshop-uk.cgi/pagemicrophones/46f131c51058
Last edited by rijker at Sep 19, 2007,
You could get away with electric guitar, on that, but acoustic would nay cut it, as they say.

A soundclip is essentially just a recording that shows the gear in action.

"With the microphone, do u just place it next to your amp/acoustic sound hole and plug the microphone into the microphone port at the back of the computer."

That's pretty much it. You'd need to get a stand for the acoustic though. Maplins sell really small desktop tripod stands for about £3. Check those out.
the one u suggested the JTS NX-7, where can i buy a lead for it to plug into the back of my computer (what size? about 4m?) and the stand for the acoustic, where do i get that?
Based on the link you gave:

Cable:
Venom Boa Female XLR to Jack Microphone Cable 6m (20ft)
Hell, 2M (6ft?) would be fine.

The link you gave had a microphone stand.

Microphone Stand Straight stand. > This is quite expensive though.

Or, if you plan to sit at your computer, you can get a desktop stand, one of these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=28802&doy=19m9 >
It's quite a lot cheaper.

Then all you need is a 1/4 > 1/8" adaptor; there's one on your link page. It takes a guitar siezed jack, and converts it into a headphone jack, so it can fit in your computer's mic input.

Good luck.
"With the microphone, do u just place it next to your amp/acoustic sound hole and plug the microphone into the microphone port at the back of the computer."

That's pretty much it. You'd need to get a stand for the acoustic though. Maplins sell really small desktop tripod stands for about £3. Check those out.

I wouldn't agree that that is pretty much it, there's many ways to mic an acoustic up, however the most standard way if you're working with an acoustic is to position the mic pointing at the 12th fret. Also measure the distance of your strings from neck to bridge, put your mic this distance away from the guitar. The reason for doing this is so the mic can pic up the whole of the waveform coming from the strings....in lamens terms!

For the electric guitar place the mic pointing at the amp at a 45 degree angle.
cheers i am having trouble getting a loud enough sound out of the acoustic when recording, it sounds really quite when i record on mixcraft with the mic next to the acoustic sound hole. i'll try what uve said.