Poll: Which doublecut HH guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which doublecut HH guitar?
Washburn WI66pro
7 18%
PRS Custom SE
20 51%
Ibanez AR300 reissue
4 10%
Lag Roxanne Standard 200
0 0%
Other (please specify)
8 21%
Voters: 39.
I'm looking to get a backup/replacement for my Gibson LP Studio and I want this one to be a bit more playable than the LP hence the doublecut but I still want a classic mahogany+humbucker sound. Ones I've looked at so far are:

Washburn WI66pro ~£340
PRS Custom SE ~£420
Ibanez AR300 Korean reissue ~£370
Lag Roxane Standard 200 ~£300

So which do you think is the best? If you have any other suggestions feel free. I don't want an SG because of their poor balance.

EDIT: few more for contention

Ibanez SZ520
Cort M600
BC Rich Classic Mockingbird
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Last edited by KazVH100R at Sep 18, 2007,
As much as the PRS is good for the money, the Ibanez is not bad and the Lag looks immence, Washburn IMO make THE SINGLE HANDED best guitars in their price brackets.
I mean Buzz Feiten tuning system on all models! Now THAT is quality.
Also, consider the Washburn X40 Pro, absolutely AMAZING for £300!
Check out the Cort M series. I have one and like it, but it is probably way under your budget. I don't know how much they cost new though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
The Cort M600 looks very good for the money! Do you know if it has a carved maple top or just a thin veneer? I'm leaning towards Washburn atm tho.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by KazVH100R
The Cort M600 looks very good for the money! Do you know if it has a carved maple top or just a thin veneer? I'm leaning towards Washburn atm tho.

I'm not sure, I have the M520. But, I think Pikka Bird has an M600.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I know Cort shares the factory with Ibanez so I'm assuming the build quality is decent?

Also I for got the Ibanez SZ. Don't like the look of them very much though.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by KazVH100R
I know Cort shares the factory with Ibanez so I'm assuming the build quality is decent?

Also I for got the Ibanez SZ. Don't like the look of them very much though.

I'd say the build quality is really good from what I've seen. Only put my hands on Corts 3 or 4 times though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Not to hijack but are any of these models available in left handed?
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
I don't like SGs because all the ones I've played had very poor balance with the neck always eager to head towards the floor.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
I'm not sure on the model, but Peavey sells a pretty sweet mahogany, tonally similar to gibson and plays great for about $300.

Michael Kelly makes some killer les paul simlar guitars as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
PRS Custom 24, in my opinion.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
what about an LP double cut? thats pretty much exactly what you want.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Quote by Fender_punk
what about an LP double cut? thats pretty much exactly what you want.

Price

My budget isn't that high I'm looking at £300-£500 range. For the kind of money you'd pay for one of them, I'd rather get a Hamer Studio or a Yamaha SG1000/2000 anyways.

Why does the PRS SE get such high praises? I had a go on one yesterday and the build seemed average and the hardware felt cheap. Acoustically it was nowhere near as resonant and vibrant as my LP. Also it kept going out of tune. Maybe I picked up a bad one.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Last edited by KazVH100R at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by KazVH100R
Price

My budget isn't that high I'm looking at £300-£500 range. For the kind of money you'd pay for one of them, I'd rather get a Hamer Studio or a Yamaha SG1000/2000 anyways.

Why does the PRS SE get such high praises? I had a go on one yesterday and the build seemed average and the hardware felt cheap. Acoustically it was nowhere near as resonant and vibrant as my LP. Also it kept going out of tune. Maybe I picked up a bad one.
I actually returned my Custom for the reasons you describe. I now have a LP Studio like you, which I love. Maybe you should have a look at the Schecter Hellraiser.
Quote by KazVH100R
Price

I agree with you, the prs se's look pretty but they feel and sound substandard all around. I realize you weren't too keen on the appearance of the ibanez SZ series, but i implore you to give one a shot. if you've only seen pictures, you can turst me that they look really nice in your lap. not to mention that they're pretty big heavy guitars.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
I agree with you, the prs se's look pretty but they feel and sound substandard all around. I realize you weren't too keen on the appearance of the ibanez SZ series, but i implore you to give one a shot. if you've only seen pictures, you can turst me that they look really nice in your lap. not to mention that they're pretty big heavy guitars.

Oooh yeah I like meaty guitars Feels more reassuring and satisfying somehow. Yeah I'll give them a go if I see one. Haven't seen one anywhere though.

Thanks everyone keep the suggestions coming.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
dont see what the problem is with an sg being neck heavy. you have to have a hand on the neck to play notes, so that counters the balance problem. or you can move the strap button to the top horn.

my vote - some form of epiphone sg (at least a g400)
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
It's like with my Explorer, I don't want to have to hold up the neck when playing. I find it awkward to support the weight of the neck while trying to move around the neck.
I like my guitars balanced, so that the neck comes up to your hand diagonally naturally without having to lift them up.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
I'd get the PRS, it's the best out of all those in my opinion, there's better but not by too much - and why pay more than you have to when the PRS is a great guitar?
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I've never tried one myself but how about a Fender Showmaster Scorpion?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-showmaster-scorpion/12567

Looks to press all the buttons for you. I noticed while looking for a mahogany Strat like the one they do in the States but that doesn't seem to be available in the UK and is out of your price range (the Strat that is).
Out of those of you who recommended the PRS SE, who actually owns/owned one or have spent a good amount of time playing one? I keep hearing rave reviews but I really didn't see anything special If it really is that great I'll go and try the other ones to see if the one I played was a lemon. I think guitar mags are biased a lot by brand names.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
PRS Santana Se that are no longer in production. Best bang for the buck, IMO.
YES I own one and yes I do play it often...moreso than my Gibsons.
I upgraded the bridge pickup to a SD Screamin Demon and the Neck to a Jazz and the guitar smokes. The trem even stays in tune.
I'm currently looking for another as another backup "beater"
Last edited by demea at Sep 19, 2007,