I have been trying to teach myself to play the guitar for a few months now. I do not have lessons because I can't afford the cash/time and I don't have any computer/on-line programs. I'm pretty sure I have most of the basics down so far (chords, picking techniques, left-hand techniques, etc.).

Right now I am playing 1-3 hours a day. All I do is play basic scales and look up songs on UG, but it seems like I am stuck. I want to get better and start playing more advanced songs/licks/solos, but I have nowhere to start. Last night I learned to play the intro to Welcome to the Jungle, but only after an hour of repeatedly playing the lick to get the timing and strumming right. Does anyone have any advice for me to help me get better? Any scales, beginner solos, intermediate songs, helpful advice, or anything else you may have would be a huge help. I really am looking forward to becoming a better guitar player, but it seems so hard with so little resources to choose from.

Thanks in advance!

-Philipp122
well i've only been playing guitar for about a year and a half but I find just repetition (I know its cliche, but practice DOES make close to perfect.) I usually just learn songs I want to learn, I don't really care about my skill level. I play mostly punk-rock so the first little 'solo' I learnt was the beginning to Man Overboard by blink-182 which isn;t even really a solo. In any case, it has helped me with my finger technique. Right now im doing the solo in the Hell Song by Sum 41.

I dont do scales, but im sure they'll help you out big time, so I would just keep practicing and mainly stay interested in what you're playing!
sry not much help here,

all i got to say is it takes dedication/persivation to learn a instrument, otherwise all rappers would play too , but no all ive heard is to practice, practice, practice, but dont practice stuff that is/ or has become easy for you, try and strive to accomplish something you thought you couldnt.

for example; i have been playin for a little over a year and i would im bout intermediate. and i saw for the first time cannon rock by jerry c, and i blew my mind, so i committed as much time to learning that, and im bout half way through(still with some rough spots) so just keep at it guy, and good luck
You are now blinking manually
Just practice different songs, and the techniques you'll learn from one song may carry over to another song. Such as the song Taylor by Jack Johnson can help you learn Hammer-ons and pull-offs.
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Well,, thanks for the advice.

Last week I worked on the solo in Shook me All Night Long from ACDC; it's much easier than it sounds but it stilltook me a lot of practice and I'm still not very good at it. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could start to look for some easier and fun-to-play songs?
just find songs you like to listen to, even if they are hard just work on them slowly at first and build up speed once you're used to it - so much more satisfying to play songs you love and you build up your technique at same time
Quote by Jackface20
just find songs you like to listen to, even if they are hard just work on them slowly at first and build up speed once you're used to it - so much more satisfying to play songs you love and you build up your technique at same time

True

When learning difficult parts like that solo, break it up in smaller chunks. Focus on each phrase instead of the entire solo at first. Once you have one part nailed, move on to te next.
Alright, I have another question

About scales: What is their signifigance in music? Are they used to create music or are they just a basic outline? Do professional guitarists use scales to write solos and licks or do they go with whatever sounds good? Should I take the time to learn scales and work with them or should I just keep in mind that they are there?

Learning this instrument is really hard... lots of unanswered questions at the moment
you need to know your scales so you know which notes sound good together, which notes give a certain sound etc - its also very important for improvising as you wont be able to at all without some decent scale knowledge