Poll: Which design do you like the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which design do you like the best?
Design 1
13 33%
Design 2
13 33%
Design 3
13 33%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
I'm gonna do some more mods to my Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat, and I need you guy's help. I've decided that If I'm going to have two Strats, I'd like them to be completely different (thats just me). Also, sorry if anything I say sounds stupid, I'm not the best with words...

First and foremost, I'm setting it up for an H-S-H configuration. I just got a Texas Special for the middle position off of eBay, but I'm having trouble deciding what to get for the humbuckers in the bridge and neck positions. Any ideas? I would prefer if they had a lower output, sounds fat, gritty (not distorted), and clean. So far, I'm leaning towards a Gibson 490R in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in the bridge. sound good? Any other combos?

To fit all of this, I'm gonna grab a pickguard off of Terrapin, they make the best. Then I'll get the PuPSwitch (http://www.pupswitch.com/) this will get the most out of the guitar's pups. Also, the guitar will have a master volume and master tone.

Depending on what you guys think, I might change the neck to one with a Kingwood fretboard. I got a quote with all the specs I want at Warmoth, and it came up to $343. Thats no problem, I'm not in a rush or anything.

Alright, now I need your opinion on the cosmetics of the guitar. This is it right now: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Blash/pictures/gear/50211/74716

Heres what you can pick from: (I messed up the knobs, sorry)

1:

2:

3:

If you guys need any more info, just ask. I'm really excited about this, so it would be awesome if you guys helped out.

Thanks And again, sorry If I worded some things wrong. I kinda rushed this.
Last edited by Blash at Sep 18, 2007,
its a 60th anniversary guitar.... don't ever mod it, keep it the same way, mod the other one!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Ya i agree leave it alone, i have a 60th and i love it stock, but if i had to pick id say 3, also its cool to see a semi local dude on here Blash (im in Rome,ny)
Quote by Used666
Ya i agree leave it alone, i have a 60th and i love it stock, but if i had to pick id say 3, also its cool to see a semi local dude on here Blash (im in Rome,ny)

I've already done quite a bit to it, and theres no going back now. The thing wouldn't stay in tune anyway, the tuners I had with mine were horrible. Everything else was fine though.
Really? Awesome, now I know two people from around here.

Quote by kurtlives91
HSH on a strat...ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Aww come on, theres nothing wrong with it. Why don't you like it?
I dont like the grey... since your modding the hell out of it anyways its the perfect time for a new paintjob... A nice cream maybe (or vintage white I think is the fender name for the color im thinking of) or a maroon. Im not a big fan of the cbs style headstocks (kinda remind me of squires) but i know it will be beautiful no matter what and all that matters is that you like it.
Its a great metallic grey,looks almost satin, heres a pic for reference, its stunning in person

I have a 60'th anniv. MIM and I'm modding it. Just dont do anything that cant be reversed...although I doubt its gonna go up in value...its a MIM...I dunno about yours.
I think a b/w/b pickguard with a rosewood fretboard and a non cbs style headstock would be pretty... also paint the headstock to match the body and keep the silver hardware. But of course this is only a suggestion and whatever floats your boat.
if you get a non cbs headstock and paint it its just gonna look like you upgraded a squire...plus I like cbs headstocks. Stick with silver...get a mirror pg

EDIT: or you could go all out with the mirrored pg, pickup covers (they do make em, I just dont remember where(at least for the single coil pup...))), and chrome knobs. I dunno about the selector switch though. I say stick with the stock neck.
Last edited by livrockdie at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by powermetalg
I dont like the grey... since your modding the hell out of it anyways its the perfect time for a new paintjob... A nice cream maybe (or vintage white I think is the fender name for the color im thinking of) or a maroon. Im not a big fan of the cbs style headstocks (kinda remind me of squires) but i know it will be beautiful no matter what and all that matters is that you like it.

Eh, as beautiful as that sounds, I'm gonna keep the Blizzard Pearl. It's one of the main reasons I bought it. Thanks though :x

Quote by livrockdie
I have a 60'th anniv. MIM and I'm modding it. Just dont do anything that cant be reversed...although I doubt its gonna go up in value...its a MIM...I dunno about yours.

I don't think I'm going to do anything like that (except routing the neck position to fit a humbucker). I'm not ever gonna sell it anyway, this is something I'm gonna keep for the rest of my life, I'm sure of it. So it's resell value doesn't mean anything to me. Thanks for the advice

It seems that I'm mostly getting negative reception over this, not really sure why Oh well.

Still, anyone have any ideas about the pickups (humbuckers for the bridge and neck)? Note that they have to have 4-conductor wiring, the PuPSwitch requires it (for coil-tap, etc...)
Last edited by Blash at Sep 19, 2007,
Opps, I didn't mean you, sorry if I offended you or anything. Some of the guys up there said to leave it alone and stuff like that... not that theres anything wrong with that, it's a matter of personal preference. Sorry for the mix up

Anyway, I didn't refresh the page when I posted that last post. Sorry about that

Quote by powermetalg
I think a b/w/b pickguard with a rosewood fretboard and a non cbs style headstock would be pretty... also paint the headstock to match the body and keep the silver hardware. But of course this is only a suggestion and whatever floats your boat.

I was actually considering a b/w/b pickguard, but I thought about it, and It seemed like it wouldn't work out too well (cosmetically, of course). I could have the headstock painted, but it'll probably get too expensive. I can't do it myself either, I'm no good with that stuff.
Also, I don't have any chrome parts to put on this... Actually, I just remembered that I put the bridge on my other Strat. Nevermind what I said about not modding my '96 Strat
Anyway, chrome parts are kinda out of the question, sorry :/.
That does sound really nice though. I'd do that If I could, but... yeah, I can't :/ Thanks though.

Quote by livrockdie
if you get a non cbs headstock and paint it its just gonna look like you upgraded a squire...plus I like cbs headstocks. Stick with silver...get a mirror pg

EDIT: or you could go all out with the mirrored pg, pickup covers (they do make em, I just dont remember where(at least for the single coil pup...))), and chrome knobs. I dunno about the selector switch though. I say stick with the stock neck.

Yeah, I love CBS headstocks, I'm gonna get a neck with that if I end up getting a new one. I've always wanted a guitar with that headstock.

I'm not really a big with mirror things on guitars, thats just me. Thanks for the suggestion though :x
Last edited by Blash at Sep 19, 2007,
nah, not offended

just so I'm clear...pre/non CBS is the big one like the modern squires have and cbs is the smaller one that comes on fenders now right?
Well however you do it shes a beaut... and the headstock wouldnt be hard at all. Theres a website that sells fender factory colors in a rattle can for like $16 and just use a liberal amount of masking tape and your golden, but if your not comfortable dont do it.
Quote by powermetalg
Well however you do it shes a beaut... and the headstock wouldnt be hard at all. Theres a website that sells fender factory colors in a rattle can for like $16 and just use a liberal amount of masking tape and your golden, but if your not comfortable dont do it.

I'd do it, but honesty I don't feel comfortable doing that. I would probably do something wrong and wreck it. What site are you talking about though? :x It probably would become useful sometime in the future.

Also, anyone have any ideas about pickups still? I'm sticking with the Gibson 490R in the neck, but I have no clue what to put in the bridge (I ditched the Seymour Duncan I mentioned). It needs to come in open-coil, either zebra or all black. I need to be able to wire it for coil-tap/parallel, etc (4-conductor wiring)... And needs to have more of a vintage, lower output. Also, I'd like it to be kind of choppy and thick sounding too.

Thanks! This the third to last step to finishing the plans for this, can't wait
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html

Ive been told since its one guy running sometimes (when hes away on vacation or something like that) you cant acces the site so try it from time to time.
Last edited by powermetalg at Sep 20, 2007,
oh, oops. I like the small ones. I always thought they were called CBS headstocks though.
Quote by powermetalg
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html

Ive been told since its one guy running sometimes (when hes away on vacation or something like that) you cant acces the site so try it from time to time.

Yeah, I can't get onto it right now, but thats ok. Thanks a lot

Quote by livrockdie
oh, oops. I like the small ones. I always thought they were called CBS headstocks though.

Thats ok, people get that mixed up all the time.
I mostly like them cause they give the guitar a vintage look, and I'm a big vintage-gear fan. :x
Bump. Just got my Texas Special in, and just won a Gibson 490R on eBay <3 I can't ****ing wait to finish this.

I was thinking about this: How about a Swineshead Condor in the bridge? I looked into it and it seems to be perfect. Any other ideas? Read the previous posts if you need more info :x

Just for reference, this is what I have in mind so far:

NECK: Gibson 490R
MIDDLE: Fender Texas Special
BRIDGE: Swineshead Condor???

Hows that?
I know that Warmoth necks and bodies are extremely popular with the UG; however, I think that they're a bit overpriced.

When I'm unable to get Fender necks, I use those from Musikraft: http://musikraft.3dcartstores.com/Strat-Necks_c_1.html

You can custom-order the neck profile, neck wood, fretboard, fret size, etc. They're extremely well-made - I bought several last year when a local shop owner retired and I used one for my first mod. Awesome craftsmanship!

Sorry for the late response, I've been kinda busy :/

Holy ****, thanks so much for showing me that. If I ever need a neck at any point, I'll go to them (I've decided to stick with the stock one for now). Thanks!

Alright, I've decided what to do. I'm going to do Design 1. I just ordered a GFS Retrotron Nashville Vintage humbucker for the bridge, can't wait to get it, then I can start this

So now I have:

NECK: Gibson 490R
MIDDLE: Fender Texas Special (middle position)
BRIDGE: GFS Retrotron Nashville Vintage

I'll let you guys know how this comes out, I really appreciate you're opinions. Thanks!
dude..why you modding a 60th strat? thats really a stupid thing to do. your absolutely killing the value of your guitar
Quote by Blash
So? I don't really care about the value of it, as long as it sounds and looks good, I'm happy. I'm never going to sell it anyway, besides, it already has no resell value.

That's the only reason one needs.

You sure about the GFS in the bridge?

Hah, definitely.

As for the GFS, how do you mean that? Did you have bad experiences with them?
They seemed to get great reviews just about everywhere, and the tone they described seems to be fit for me (and the sound clip sounded great too, but I'm not gonna really judge it by that). :x
Nothing wrong with the GFS. Since you're already going with the TX Special and the 490, which are slightly higher-end, I'd go for something in the same range.

I usually play Blues and Classic Rock so I stick with the Fender, Lace, and DiMarzio PUs. The surprising thing is that the DiMarzio Fred on my JagStang, which sounded awesome on my tube amp, sounded great on a friend's solid state Line 6 (!!!) when I played Pantera for grins.

If you like the GFS, go for it.

Blash...

You're the man I've been waiting for. Haha.

I have a white pearloid pickguard for a Strat with a H-S-H configuration. The pickups are 2 PRS humbuckers (from a Standard 24) and a DiMarzio Chopper. Interested?

Edit: Damn, guess not. Well, good luck with your setup
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, man...it's just sitting around. I'm dying to get rid of it. For the right price, of course.
Hi, I'm Peter
Woohoo...strat mods!!

Pickguard - pearloid would be my pick to go with that paint job
Headstock - leave it unpainted
Neck Pickup - Duncan '59
Middle Pickup - Something low-output and stratty...Fralin maybe?
Bridge Pickup - Duncan Pearly Gates
Controls - volume, neck tone, bridge tone, push/pull to activate neck pickup no matter where the 5 way switch is pointing (gives you 7 pickup combinations).

As far as the coil taps, unless you've actually used something like that before and like the sound, it's completely useless. A parallel/series switch would be the better choice, but even then, I wouldn't actually install it unless you've used it before and liked the sound. Versatile is one thing, but installing options that you'll never use is a waste of time and extra wiring. The pickup and control options above are what I'd personally install. I'm not a big fan of tone controls on middle-position single coils and the bridge/neck combination is something I use a lot. Great sounds available from that one little switch.

EDIT - I'd also say that the pickguard that Dirk is offering wouldn't be a bad piece to pick up if you've got the money.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Blash...

You're the man I've been waiting for. Haha.

I have a white pearloid pickguard for a Strat with a H-S-H configuration. The pickups are 2 PRS humbuckers (from a Standard 24) and a DiMarzio Chopper. Interested?

Edit: Damn, guess not. Well, good luck with your setup

I'm really interested in the pickguard alone, I PMed you a little while ago. I REALLY could use it right now

Quote by TwoString
Woohoo...strat mods!!

Pickguard - pearloid would be my pick to go with that paint job
Headstock - leave it unpainted
Neck Pickup - Duncan '59
Middle Pickup - Something low-output and stratty...Fralin maybe?
Bridge Pickup - Duncan Pearly Gates
Controls - volume, neck tone, bridge tone, push/pull to activate neck pickup no matter where the 5 way switch is pointing (gives you 7 pickup combinations).

As far as the coil taps, unless you've actually used something like that before and like the sound, it's completely useless. A parallel/series switch would be the better choice, but even then, I wouldn't actually install it unless you've used it before and liked the sound. Versatile is one thing, but installing options that you'll never use is a waste of time and extra wiring. The pickup and control options above are what I'd personally install. I'm not a big fan of tone controls on middle-position single coils and the bridge/neck combination is something I use a lot. Great sounds available from that one little switch.

EDIT - I'd also say that the pickguard that Dirk is offering wouldn't be a bad piece to pick up if you've got the money.

The pickup choices you offered I actually considered at one point (especially the Pearly Gates, but theres no way I could afford that right now).
I was thinking about putting something by Fralin in the middle, but I ditched it because I wasn't sure about it.

Anywho, I completely agree with the push-pull to activate the neck pickup idea, I'm definitely doing something like that. But instead of a push-pull, I was thinking of a 2-way toggle switch that'll replace the back tone knob's place. Is that ok?
I plan on having a master volume and master tone (they're gonna be push-pulls that coil tap the neck and bridge respectively)

And yes, I'm confident about coil tapping, not sure how the GFS will sound though... But yes, I'm fine with it.

Thanks A LOT for the advice and suggestions, I really appreciate it

Also, just as a foot note, I'm not wiring this myself. I know I'll really **** this up, I can solder decently, but I'm horrible with wiring and reading schematics. A good friend of mine is doing it, and he's a pro, so I'm sure it will come out great.
How exactly are you going to wire that single coil and the humbuckers to the same pots?

Btw, I bought my Pearly Gates from eGay for $60.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Last edited by CutlassSupreme at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Blash
I dunno, don't ask me, I'm not wiring it... I know its possible though, look at the JEM.

... oshi- $60? Really? Lucky I tried looking for a cheap one on eBay, but I didn't have any luck.

I'm curious how they're wired to the same pots.

Keep looking, and don't bid until there's only a few minutes left. eGay has very few "deals" anymore. There's always somebody willing to pay.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Page 1 of 2