I have been trying to do this for a while now. I usually play in EADG but now I want DADG. My problem is I can't get my E string tuned to D for some reason. I use a tuner, I'm still not good enough to tune by ear.

So how do I do it? Do I tighten or loosen the E string? Is it after I get to G or before?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Loosen the E string a full step. Your seventh fret top string should sound like your open A string. Then use a tuner.
I don't need a sig....
Dude, this thread has been asked so many times it is actually funny. Search bar ho!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Loosen your E string until the 7th fret on the E sounds the same as the Open A string. There are other ways using harmonics, but use the 7th fret to get it in the ballpark range, then use your tuner to get it right. You're only downtuning it by one step btw
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
just loosen your e until its the same pitch as your D. its simple.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
If you're getting to G then that means you're tuning higher, so twist the other way, in case you were wondering.

You definitely don't want to break a string.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Thanks its pretty simple once you get it. I use the A note method BTW.

Just for future reference, how do I get C tuning?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Tune everything down a whole step, then drop the D to C. Or spend ten dollars on a tuner.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by FenderKid87
Or spend ten dollars on a tuner.

I have yet to find a cheap tuner that can handle the low end fury of my Drop tuned bass.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
I have yet to find a cheap tuner that can handle the low end fury of my Drop tuned bass.

Umm... 12th fret harmonic?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I prefer the 12th fret A string harmonic matched up to the 7th fret harmonic on E string to tune to drop D.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
if your tuner does pick it up when you play open hit up the 12th fert it should pick it up then.