Will an OD pedal and a distortion pedal work together? I'm thinking that it would drive the distortion more, maybe? I ask because I want to get some good heavy metal crunch out of my Palomino V16 from a pedal(s). So, really, I just need some good pedal suggestions. I've tried a TS9, and it doesn't have the crunch I'm looking for.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Hrmm... it was just a thought, feedback is no good.

So, can anyone recommend a sufficiently crunchy distortion and/or OD pedal?
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
For me OD and Distortion works perfectly fine.

I've got it set up as Boss Super Feedbacker and Distortion DF-2 -> Boss Super Overdrive SD-1.

This setup works really well for solos and stuff, makes for a lot of sustain and sweet sounds on the neck pickup. For chords however it is extremely muddy. In terms of feedback, I get that awesome natural feedback really easily (which I love), rather than the annoying squeeling. There is alot of hiss though, so after I'm done I just turn off either pedal.

Anyways, perhaps you should get a Boss Overdrive/Distortion or something?
i don't like stacking distortion/overdrive over a tube amp's already distorted tone. I'd like to suggest a clean booster, which boosts your input volume to drive your tubes a bit more. (tube overdrive. it's waht your ears want.) you can get an overdrive pedal and turn down the level, but they tend to be a bit higher in price.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If you just want crunch, maybe an MI Audio crunchbox is more what your looking for?
For me as long as the levels are carefully balanced, it can work fine and without feedback. OD+Distortion work well for solo's, but IMO it doesn't sound clear enough for rhythm work. Usually sounds muddy. But it all depends on the pedals being used.
i don't like stacking distortion/overdrive over a tube amp's already distorted tone. I'd like to suggest a clean booster, which boosts your input volume to drive your tubes a bit more. (tube overdrive. it's what your ears want.) you can get an overdrive pedal and turn down the level, but they tend to be a bit higher in price.

The best way to do OD+Dist on a tube amp would be to zero all distortion/gain/drive knobs and work only with volume. It works very well and sounds excellent on low volumes.

I don't know about feed back as I have never been able to trigger feedback with pedal settings, unless i'm near the speaker.
Quote by ixelion
The best way to do OD+Dist on a tube amp would be to zero all distortion/gain/drive knobs and work only with volume. It works very well and sounds excellent on low volumes.

I don't know about feed back as I have never been able to trigger feedback with pedal settings, unless i'm near the speaker.

Yeah, that's exactly the thing. I want more crunch without turning my gain knob up on my amp. Since the amp only has one channel, to get distortion I have to turn the gain on the amp up. The problem lies in the fact that I play cleans as well and I like to switch often. I just need a smooth transition to a crunchy sound without interrupting my playing.

And thanks for all the feedback guys </pun>. Anymore specific suggestions?
An OD after a distortion can work just fine. A light od after a heavy distortion can smoothen out your sound (I use an OD-3 after a Big Muff, works). You WON'T get any more drive. Watch out, things could get really muddy. A OD before a distortion can work as a booster (high volume, low gain), which will give you more drive. This works particulary well with tube amps. It pushes the tubes a bit harder.
how about a jeckyl and hyde OD+ Distortion in one pedal. The OD sounds a lot like a tubescreamer, and there's no feedback if you tweak it right.
Ok. So, basically, this idea will work if my gain knob is low and level is high(er)? OD before distortion will push more crunch out of the amp? Or would it be a better idea to get just an OD or just a distortion or the Jekyll and Hyde?
I don't recommend buying a bunch of pedals to make an amp sound like something it doesn't want to. I LOVE the palomino series, but it is NOT a heavy metal amp. Maybe look for used 5150s or peavey XXX or something...
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Quote by Peeno
Ok. So, basically, this idea will work if my gain knob is low and level is high(er)? OD before distortion will push more crunch out of the amp? Or would it be a better idea to get just an OD or just a distortion or the Jekyll and Hyde?

It would probably be better if you just buy a really good Distortion Pedal, rather than get two pedals, when really you only want the one sound.

The Jekyll and Hyde from what I hear is meant to be pretty good, so if you want some versatility definately check it out.
Quote by PieceOfMind666
I don't recommend buying a bunch of pedals to make an amp sound like something it doesn't want to.

thats half the fun of playing guitar.
Quote by PieceOfMind666
I don't recommend buying a bunch of pedals to make an amp sound like something it doesn't want to. I LOVE the palomino series, but it is NOT a heavy metal amp. Maybe look for used 5150s or peavey XXX or something...

+1
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Ok, I'm not looking to get a new amp. I just got this one. I definitely don't need a 5150 or a XXX. I just need a pedal that will take the clean sound from my V16 and make it crunchy and metal. My Palomino is always set to produce clean sounds. I love playing clean, but I also love playing metal. So, only pedal suggestions, please.

The Jekyll and Hyde is good? Ok. I'll have to try it, is there anything else that I need to try? Any other pedals OD and/or distortion that will crunchitize me, captain?
I use a distortion pedal for my main gain, and the Tube Screamer for solos and real low gain

and it works fine. I love my tone.
I only do this because my amps gain channel sucks ****. but its 50W tube with great cleans so it works real well.

However....I wouldnt advise ever doing this on a gain channel
Quote by Peeno
Ok, I'm not looking to get a new amp. I just got this one. I definitely don't need a 5150 or a XXX. I just need a pedal that will take the clean sound from my V16 and make it crunchy and metal. My Palomino is always set to produce clean sounds. I love playing clean, but I also love playing metal. So, only pedal suggestions, please.

The Palominos are pretty lightweight and easy to carry around (I know, I have the 5 watter). I think you should take it to a music store there in town (Georgia must have some nice ones, college town and all) and plug into a few distortions and find the pedal that is the sound you are thinking of. Only way to know for sure.

Maybe something like one of these, I think they are $39:

freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Quote by freepatriot
The Palominos are pretty lightweight and easy to carry around (I know, I have the 5 watter). I think you should take it to a music store there in town (Georgia must have some nice ones, college town and all) and plug into a few distortions and find the pedal that is the sound you are thinking of. Only way to know for sure.

Maybe something like one of these, I think they are $39:

Yeah, indeed a college town. But there are only two music stores, and both have a pretty limited selection. I just need some ideas of what to put on my "to try" list. So far there are 13 pedals on it. I know I won't be able to find half of them in town.

So, other than Boss, EHX, Maxon, Ibanez, and Marshall brands (I've looked at them all already), if there's anything please feel free to mention it.

I should be able to find the Boss pedals here, to try, and Ibanez, but the other brands I'll have to try at Guitar Center next time I go. Then there's the Jekyll and Hyde and the OCD, I'm not sure if I can find a physical example to try.