I am building an electric bass guitar, and I want to use the best wood that I possibly can. I'm willing to spend a lot of money. What kind of wood produces the best raw bass sound (for lack of a better term)? Thanks!
poll?
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
I think you should go to the Amazon, cut down a tree and make one guitar out of it, then burn the rest.

Spiting Al Gore FTW
Yeah I'm thinking exotic might be cool. I don't know much about woods though. You have to start somewhere.
Quote by its irrelevant
I think you should go to the Amazon, cut down a tree and make one guitar out of it, then burn the rest.

Spiting Al Gore FTW

sigged for pure awesomeness.
-------------------------------------------------
Rythem Guitar/Singer-Smoke Patterns
www.myspace.com/smokepatterns

Quote by its irrelevant

Spiting Al Gore FTW
just go chop down some random tree
Myspace.com/_dylan__

Orginally posted by Master

Yep. It was my birthday and I was wanking in my room and all of a sudden my whole family came jumping in yelling "SURPRISE!!" I guess they were the ones who ended up being surprised.
i helped build one that had a bubinga body and zebrawood top once. some of those exotic woods are really nice tonally.

lol how bout palm
Mahogany is nice, but i'm guessing expensive, not as expensive as some of the more exotic woods but still
Looking at Warmoth, I had an idea. Its probably stupid though...well, here it goes.

What if you had an entirely wenge bass. It can be used for everything, so why not just have the whole instrument be just one piece of wenge? Or would that sustain like ass and generally not be good?
hmmm aussie hard woods would be an interesting experiment i wonder how an aussie red wood would b lol heavy as hell lol
Or try a maple/alder and purpleheart combination.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Bubinga is great for a bit of growl, as is Wenge and Ovangkol.

Warmth, you're looking at dense tonewoods, like Mahogany, Walnut and Rosewood.

For brightness, Swamp Ash, Alder, and Maple. That sorta thing.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Bubinga is great for a bit of growl, as is Wenge and Ovangkol.

Ahh, is that another bubina body Warwick fan I see?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ancient chinese oak.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Ranxston
Ancient chinese oak.

I was going to build a bass out of red oak, but I figured I didn't have the skills and got a cheap kit. now I'm gonna make the bass out of bubinga.

anyways, my favorite woods are:

ash, alder, mahogany and bubinga, but wenge, and basswood are good as well. (I mention basswood on the fact that it is very cheap, and bassey, almost muddy, cheaper guitars tend to be made out of basswood and some basses, but not many. if you are willing to spend money though, don't think about it.)
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Use a quilted or burl maple top over a bubinga body. It's a beautiful combination. Plain walnut and bubinga are also nice. Another combo that's slightly rare but seems to work well is cocobolo top and back with a maple core, i.e. Alembic style.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't think anyone got the joke, lol.

But if I were the TS, I'd get my pickups handwired by Mr Tony Blair

And you should get Michaelangelo to paint it, not that guitar noob, I mean like that guy who like painted jesus on that ceiling. You should also make your fretboard out of your own homegrown tree.

Just my $0.02.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I've always liked both alder & maple, also if you are willing to spend money i would recomend doing the fret bored in rosewood but in the end its all up to personal preference!
also if you could find one big enough and you are planing on leaving a natural finish use a burl for the body; but like i said hard to find & expensive! plus i'm not sure what it would be like sound wise, but it would look nice!
use morning wood!!!

haha but my bass is ash i think and i love it

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Funkbass796
And you should get Michaelangelo to paint it, not that guitar noob, I mean like that guy who like painted jesus on that ceiling. You should also make your fretboard out of your own homegrown tree.

Just my $0.02.

While youre at it, you should practice like 36 hours a day, yea time warp for that.
And dont change the suns temperature.
Don't forget that to get a good tone out of it, you need vintage 40s amps made by some guy named Ghandi in India.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
What sound are you looking for?
I would probably use mahogany simply because I like a darker tone. If you're making a 5 string I would use Mahogany or a warmer toned wood to give that Low B a nice solid sound. Use a wenge Bubinga neck with for an orgasmic sound.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez