I'm designing my next build now (I'm obsessive with planning) and even though I'm probably not going to start for sometime, I decided to draw up the plans now.
Its going to be kinda like the Ibanez JS in shape except with a S series "carve". It will be a mahogany body with maple neck thru and natural finish. The hardware will be gold and the fretboard ebony with off-center inlays.
The question is:
What headstock shape would go good with this design?
I love the 80's banana headstock, but I don't know if it would go good with this style body shape. Any ideas?
Thanks
go for the bannana it looks good on everything
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
fender style headstocks are great because u can put a couple layers of duct tape on the side without tuners and hit cymbals with it
if you like the obanez style headstock, just banana-ize that, it's origianl and kool (but draw before you start cutting lol)
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
A 70's Fender headstock would look good on a JS body. Or maybe an Explorer-type headstock.
^ True that.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
bannana!!!
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I like that shape, it fits the body well! It looks a bit skinny though, especially the horns. You should feed her, nobody likes an anorexic
So you say it's gonna be a JS shape with an S-style carve, eh? You know what that is? It's an S. That's right, the JS and the S have pretty much exactly the same outline.

Edit: Well, I guess if you leave the horns round it'll be a proper mixture... But I'm not sure I like that idea very much...

Anyways, I'd suggest the Ibanez headstock as well, or a sleeker version of the banana.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Sep 22, 2007,
Quote by XibanezedgeX

I'm liking the banana shape!

So am I. I vote you go for that!

And being obsessive with planning is always a good thing. I've changed so many things iin my first build during the process, and it can be risky. I've learned my lesson.

Can't wait to see this thing