My friend started playing my electric and he started going on about how it sucked and stuff and told me that the strings needed to be extremely close to the frets, which is different than my playing cause my acoustics strings are away from the frets. Is he full of crap or do I need to have my guitar modified? Oh and he plays in Drop-D and I play in Standard, so I think he is full of crap, but I need to know...
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
it depends on your playing style, if they're too close you'll get fret buzz, too far and you have to basically catch the string, i personally like them close
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
well the strings need to be closer to the fretboard than an acoustic. Drop-D shouldnt have any effect on how your guitar sounds except easier to do power chords. other than that it may just be the guitar your playing, or yeah hes full of crap.

what kind of guitar are you playing?
depends on playoing style. he probably thought he played bad so used your guitar as an excuse or something lol and drop d loosens the strings so i guess theyre closer ot the fretboard anyways,
Naw the action (or distance the strings have from the neck's fretboard) is too high for him, but if you feel comfortable laying like that, keep it. I do suggest lowereing it if you want to reaaly shred, as lower action helps you to play faster
Acoustics normally have a higher action, that's why it's harder to learn on one.
And of he's just started and he's acting like he's the holder of all guitar knowledge in the universe, then yes... He's full of crap.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
I prefer my action as low as I can with much buzz.

You could always adjust the pickup height to match your action, so it's not like having a higher/lower action will gimp your tone.
yeah, it's pretty much all up to personal preference. If it works for you to have a higher action, and it works with your style, there's no reason to change it.
Style and physics. If you finger pick or slide you want the action a little higher. For fast playing a little lower. General rules, but by no means definitive. Some players like just the opposite. Your friend is like 90% of guitar players, if it doesn't suit him it sucks. Pay no attention and tell him to keep his hands off your axe.
Quote by guitarguy102934
well the strings need to be closer to the fretboard than an acoustic. Drop-D shouldnt have any effect on how your guitar sounds except easier to do power chords. other than that it may just be the guitar your playing, or yeah hes full of crap.

what kind of guitar are you playing?

Idk, but it's got a B on the headstock
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
Quote by Robert353
My friend started playing my electric and he started going on about how it sucked and stuff and told me that the strings needed to be extremely close to the frets, which is different than my playing cause my acoustics strings are away from the frets. Is he full of crap or do I need to have my guitar modified? Oh and he plays in Drop-D and I play in Standard, so I think he is full of crap, but I need to know...

yes, hes full of crap. you dont "need" to have you action extremely low. theres no rule and that doesnt really mean your guitar sucks. if you like higher action then who cares? though if its too high you might run into some playing and intonation problems.

i personally cant stand relaly low action. i cant play on it at all.
If you can play well on your guitar but he can't, then he need to practice more.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS