im getting fustrated im one of those people who hate drop d hardcore songs but standard tuning is starting to get a little boring so i wanna try an re-invent drop d so it doesnt sound so hardcore but with a metal beat if any understands what im saying then give some kind of tip or motavation or something
well i dont really hate drop d tuning, i just see it as lazy
the only reason to do it is for one finger power chords, so i dont have a use for it.
but to each his own
You are now blinking manually
theres SOOOOOOOOOOOO much music in drop D, you just need to start listening outside of metal. and you cant get mad at a tuning, its a tuning. it allows you to incorporate low E flat and low D into your songs. that doesnt mean every song has to be metal in the key of D
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Foo Fighters use drop d.

Most true metal is much lower than just drop d but to C# or even B. 1 1/2 to 2 steps
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Double Drop D Lol
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
My band plays in drop D and we play metal......I don't see what your saying.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Double Drop D Lol

How is that funny? (Its and actual tuning, both E strings are tuned to D)
altho drops do give u a heavier sound i think u can still get them if yr more inventive and i wouldnt listen to all the noobs who hate drop d their just trying to be snobs theres nothing wrong with it if yr doing it for its sound not its minimal increase in easiness
I agree on the Tool point. Also, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing are both almost entirely in drop d. That'll reinvent your musical ideas, let me tell you...
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Foo Fighters use drop d.

Most true metal is much lower than just drop d but to C# or even B. 1 1/2 to 2 steps

"true metal"?
Heavily downtuned guitars became widespread with the arrival of "Nu Metal". They are not to be confused.
Quote by burning_snowman

DADGAD?

And as for the TS, I play in Drop C, Open C, and B Standard. If you're ragging on how simple a tuning is, that's because you're simple. A lower tone on the heaviest string makes for wicked pedal tones, quicker power chords and bottom end riffs. You needen't use that string for powerchords, or, conversley, the method in which Lamb Of God employs them.

Personally, The only time I use the heavy string is for quick-ass powerchords, or for slow and heavy riffs. It's not lazy, it's convenient. If someone palm/thumb-muted their sweep picking to make sure it was played clean, would you rag on them?
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
I don't know. Outshined by Soundgarden? Black Hole Sun is also in Drop D, which I thought was clever, myself. I know someone said it already but Foo Fighters are also in Drop D, and I believe Creed has a bunch of songs in Drop D. Disturbed, some Nirvana, and Velvet Revolver too. And Rage Against the Machine! I'm sure there are other bands that use it without sounding "hardcore", but as for sounding metal? Well what the hell does metal sound like? There's so many different genres and bands with their own sounds, I don't see how anyone can define / restrict it to one sound. Play what sounds good to you, I suppose.
Quote by RockerPseudonym
DADGAD?

Double drop-d is:

DADGBD

Bottom E down 1 tone.
Top E down 1 tone.
Drop D gives you 2 extra notes. Big deal.

When it comes down to it though there's no such thing as a boring tuning, just boring guitarists.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think the guy is ragging on the fact most people tune to drop D so they can do 1 finger power chords.

And you can list 200 bands that don't do that, but another 200 bands do in fact do it makes it annoying >_>.
I would suggest learning through the normal tuning because it is the most important thing to learn after that go crazy and be unique all you want...
i don't see drop d as lazy

i like it because it gives you a low pedal note to bounce off of when playing riffs without having to drop EVERYTHING
i'm used to playing in standard so all the scales notes etc. are still easy to find
+ you have the advantages of doing one finger power chords which i suseful when doing fast riffs
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
i know how ot play guitar im expeirenced and play well i just wanted some hints on wider sounding variety of bands that use droped d tuning so i can kind of get an influence
^ tons of bands, in fact most bands from the 90's on up used drop D tuning.

edit: most radio bands use it in at least a couple songs, i think metallica and megadeth are 2 exceptions to this rule. ideally theres prolly a few others but really just pick 5 bands you like and more than likely at least 3 of them will use it.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 19, 2007,
It has its advatages and disadvantages. Sure you can do one finger power chords, but is it really that important?

While I'm a fan of standard and not much else, I have to completely disagree with the suggestion that drop D is for metal only. I've heard guitarists play in drop D and play some of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Foo Fighters use drop d.

"True Metal", What the f *** is that?
Coming from a guy called Cliff_Burton I would have thought Metallica's first four albums all in standard E were metal enough for ya, retard.
"true metal", I suppose you are gonna say that metal isn't just music but a lifestyle, or wait maybe I'm wearing the wrong shade of black!
Last edited by libriumbum at Sep 21, 2007,
on a lighter note try picking up a twelve string in drop D and play some blues licks on the bottom 3 strings,
Quote by libriumbum
"True Metal", What the f *** is that?

you totally beat me to the punchline.... hell one of megadeths songs is in F standard (i can't remember which one but i do remember dave saying he did that to prove you don't have to detune your guitar to make a song heavy)

and btw, metal isn't a lifestyle.... it's a stain of mind.
Quote by burning_snowman

Double Drop D is an ambiguous term, because double drop D can be one of two things...
DADGBD (Open strings form a Gadd9 chord)
DBEAC#F# (Open strings form a real ugly sound)

Technically double drop D should be the second one but it's come to mean the first.

True metal? Do you live in some sort of ivory tower? Metal elitists make me sick in a whole new way.

Drop D allows for a different style of playing. Relative to each other, the strings are tuned differently than they are in standard allowing for new sounds. It's nice to leave standard every once in awhile.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
If you want to listen to awesome Drop-D songs, try Blackwater Park or Demon of The Fall by Opeth. I used to LOATH Drop-D, then heard those.
Quote by Keyphur
well i dont really hate drop d tuning, i just see it as lazy
the only reason to do it is for one finger power chords, so i dont have a use for it.
but to each his own

Sorry have to disagree with you there. Drop D is also used for the octave you have with the d string,both notes are open, so it frees your fretting hand up to play melodies over the octave notes.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I actually think Drop D sounds best on acoustic stuff, like Seasons by Chris Cornell.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Queen - Fat bottomed girls.

Great example of a song in Drop D that isnt tr00 metall

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

Quote by Mud Martian
I don't know. Outshined by Soundgarden? Black Hole Sun is also in Drop D, which I thought was clever, myself. I know someone said it already but Foo Fighters are also in Drop D, and I believe Creed has a bunch of songs in Drop D. Disturbed, some Nirvana, and Velvet Revolver too. And Rage Against the Machine! I'm sure there are other bands that use it without sounding "hardcore", but as for sounding metal? Well what the hell does metal sound like? There's so many different genres and bands with their own sounds, I don't see how anyone can define / restrict it to one sound. Play what sounds good to you, I suppose.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Wow people generalise.

're-invent drop d so it doesnt sound so hardcore'

What?
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by srecko
A lot of slide guitar is in Drop D.
Maybe, but its more likely slide guitarist's would use open tunings, that way playing all the strings, with a slide, creates a chord.

And never, ever, ever, call Standard E boring. Ever. There are so many more popular and famous songs writen in standard e than there are in drop d, and there is a good reason for that. (To thread starter)
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Sep 22, 2007,
A lot of metal bands use drop D as an easy way to create power chords and have a lower "chugga". I think the trick is not to over abuse the open note on the drop D strong.

Listen to Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. It's a perfect example of a groovy, well done Drop D riff (unfortunately its only 1 minute long).
I thought of drop-d as crap for a long time, then I got bruce dickinson's accident of birth album.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Foo Fighters use drop d.

"True" Metal? What about all of the bands who were around when Metal first came out? Most if not all of them tuned to E standard, and still do. With the exception of Iommi who tuned down, but that wasn't until later albums.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG