im looking for either a 100-120 watt combo for about 350 that can do metal and play small to medium venues.

any ideas?

i currently have a VOX AD30 and it just isnt getting the job done at my shows.

maybe this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480945
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Sep 18, 2007,
The Toneblaster is junk. Would you consider tube? You might get a used 30 watt tube combo for $350 that would be almost if not as loud and sound so much better.
That would work good. So would a Line 6 Spider II 120 watt. They're $400, but that's not too much more
Oh god. Ok no line 6. I don't even want to see this thread after someone suggested a line 6. You'll hear it a million times but go tube. Tube amps are so much better and a 30 watt tube amp is ridiculously loud.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Crate RFX120

Tonally quite strong and really f*@(!ng loud. I've had people using Fender Hot Deluxe and Marshall combos complement it's tone and volume (I have one). It's not perfect but for the money it trumps everything. They're a fuzz unreliable after a few years though; the speaker connections on mine are bad and I haven't had the opportunity to solder them solid to the contact points yet (at college; don't have the tools I need, anyway).

It's served me well for over two years other than that glitch. Even if i take it in to a tech it'll only cost maybe $50-75 to repair, so it's really not that bad off.
dude, try and stretch your budget a bit more to the $450 range and get yourself a smaller all tube

you'll thank yourself
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
how the hell is a 30w tube amp louder than a 120w solid state combo?

i have a 3ow all tube vox and it dosent do very well at shows. i have to borrow my guitar teachers amps all the time.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT

i have a 3ow all tube vox and it dosent do very well at shows. i have to borrow my guitar teachers amps all the time.

Your Vox isn't all tube, its a hybrid. An actual 30 watt tube amp will be plenty for gigging and could easily give a 120 watt SS amp a run for its money volume wise.
Get the Peavey Windsor. Save more money.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Your Vox isn't all tube, its a hybrid. An actual 30 watt tube amp will be plenty for gigging and could easily give a 120 watt SS amp a run for its money volume wise.

Plus tube amps are plain nice!
I made you a cookie but I eated it.
^they are. i've owned a Frontman, MG, then i got into tubes. i was SO glad. now i have two tube amps. they're spectacular. so that's RIGHT!!! GO ALL-TUBE!!!

btw, 15w is pretty damn loud. matches your 30w valvetronix.

look into eBay and find some tube combos.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A Lot Of Pros Use Line 6.
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
^like who? at least none of the pros use spiders.

Dave Mustaine has his signature line amps from line6.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CullenT

plug in your vox 30vt next to a vox AC30 and crank em both.

they are both 30 watts.

when you're done, tell me which one is louder.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
^hey man that's not a fair comparisson... Vox AC30s are louder than some 40~50 watt tube amps.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
XD, hell it was louder than the 200 watt kustom stack i was trying to fight it with against one of the guitar teachers in the shop i worked at.

when the 30 watt tube tank started yelling at me, i pretty much froze. it was at that time i realized the glory of tubes.
^my time i realized the glory of tubes was when i played a Fender Bassman. way too expensive, but it was the kind of sound i wanted. So i bought a Blues Jr. and asked around everywhere and e-mailed all the big guns for help to make it sound similar to a bassman. Now, i'm incredibly happy with my Blues Jr. Swapped vintage speaker from weber was the biggest. It has a Bassman'y Tweedy tone now. Not the shrill treble that stock speakers of these have.

and i also have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 now. it gets my classic rock needs done.

^so u have an AC30? thats teh sex. it's definitely in my list of amps to try out exclusively before my next purchase of an amp. (i've tried them out quite a lot. but i MEAN exclusively.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't actually own any tube amp. just had it used against me in a quick duel of audio warfare. what i use rright now is a kustom KGA 65. its a nice little solid state combo thats great for mid volume practices. whenever i can get a place to put a nice loud tube amp tho.. i'm gonna gun for an ENGL fireball. not sure what kinda cab tho.. some kinda 2x12 probably.

but before the ENGL. i'm definitely gonna snag one of those 5 watt epi valve junior heads.. XD i tried one out thru an old marshall 4x12 with a pretty gritty distortion pedal. i was really surprised by the sound quality and how loud (for 5 watts) it got. great little solution for low volume recording AND being able to get some tube tone.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Sep 19, 2007,
^nice. assuming you play pretty high gain, i've heard a lot about ENGL. Sure is expressed as a damn nice amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hehe yup. i'm a pretty high gain guy.. i keep trying to pull back on it for the sake of my clarity.. but its like buying a corvette and only pushing the gas pedal 1/4 the way down. XD
haha and it's still pretty damn fast. faster than my '95 civic at least...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hehe, so now that we've completely hijacked the thread.. i suppose i'll suggest this for an amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334

i think its in the price range you're looking for.. its not a modeller like your valvetronix, but its plenty loud and should be good for what you're doing without breaking the bank and going into tubes.
Quote by Kivarenn82
hehe, so now that we've completely hijacked the thread.. i suppose i'll suggest this for an amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334

i think its in the price range you're looking for.. its not a modeller like your valvetronix, but its plenty loud and should be good for what you're doing without breaking the bank and going into tubes.

perfect. i went down to guitar center and tried one out.

lets just say i needed a new pair of shorts
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss