I've got a project in the works right now which begins with a Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster reissue body.

The body is setup for a 3-bolt micro tilt/micro adjustable neck.

I've got a standard 4-bolt Tele neck sitting here collecting dust.

Would it be smart to fill the screw holes on this neck and drill it out to mount with 3?

I've read the top two bolts on the 3-bolt are closer together than the 4 bolt... but not by enough to clear the original holes in the neck. I would have to fill them in and re-drill to do it right.

The other option is to find a 3-bolt neck. I would love to get one from Warmoth, but we're talking about over $300 finished... and this is another budget build. I got the body for really cheap, and don't plan to make it authentic anyway. I will not modify the body cosmetically, though.

I'd be up for Tele or Strat, but don't care for the 70's strat headstock much. (which it seems all 3-bolt strat necks have) It's gotta be all maple, too.

Any ideas, opinions, etc?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Find a neck without the mounting holes drilled.

EDIT: I didn't see that you already have a tele neck. I would plug two of the holes on the body, and drill the new holes.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by zeroyon
I've got a project in the works right now which begins with a Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster reissue body.

The body is setup for a 3-bolt micro tilt/micro adjustable neck.

I've got a standard 4-bolt Tele neck sitting here collecting dust.

Would it be smart to fill the screw holes on this neck and drill it out to mount with 3?

I've read the top two bolts on the 3-bolt are closer together than the 4 bolt... but not by enough to clear the original holes in the neck. I would have to fill them in and re-drill to do it right.

Th 3-bolt is ~ 1.25" center-to-center, while the 4-bolt is ~ 1.5" ... it should barely clear the filled holes.

I commented in my original post that I will not modify the body cosmetically. The neck is fair game, though. The body needs to stay in its original form if I want to sell it off for a fair price in the future. I will not fill and drill the body.

That 1/4 inch difference means only an 1/8th inch on each side. An eighth of an inch will make the hole one big oval when I drill it out. However, if filled with glue/wood it should be nice and strong.
My Music
You can not use a 3 bolt body with a 4 bolt neck.
If you redrill the holes on the neck, where the third bolt in the center should go will be straight into the truss rod anchor.
THANK YOU!

Thats the definitive answer I needed.

So I need to find a 3 bolt neck.

Anyone know where to get one besides Warmoth?
My Music
Quote by dave293
Allparts sells them.

I'm looking, but not seeing any?
My Music
Sorry I can't find it either.

I know they at least used to sell them, thats where I got mine from.