Page 1 of 3
anyone know if the sex pistols are just playing the reunion concert or if they're going to tour?
i would give anything to have john lydon flip me off
Who ****ing cares?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
the sex pistols are gods
they made punk rock
without them there would be none of your beloved dead boys
if you can't at least apreciate the sex pistols you don't know what punk rock is. they might not have been talented but they had fun, punk rock is an attitude and music. punk rock is about freedom.
Quote by livingontheedge
the sex pistols are gods
they made punk rock
if you can't at least apreciate the sex pistols you don't know what punk rock is. they might not have been talented but they had fun, punk rock is an attitude and music. punk rock is about freedom.
The Sex Pistols are the most over rated band of all time.

Just my opinion
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I like the Sex Pistols. They made some catchy rock n' roll. However, they did not make punk rock.

EDIT:
Quote by element4433
The Sex Pistols are the most over rated band of all time.

Just my opinion

I would have to disagree. Look at all the classic rock bands that people worship. Or hell, even The Misfits. The Sex Pistols may be overrated, but you can't argue that they had a huge impact on music.
And I would argue that they are underrated as far as talent goes. They get **** becuase Sid couldn't play, but Steve Jones was a pretty good and often overlooked guitarist.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Sep 18, 2007,
the sex pistols are overrated but at the same time they are underated by people saying they're overrated. steve jones was a good guitar player. and you cannot deny their influence

^who would you say did then?
The Ramones are the only tr00 punx ever

Except for the Casualties of course

Edit: It's punk, who cares about the guitar . The songs aren't that great, they're just worshiped by 13 year old kids because they're the first punk band. People give them way too much credit.

Double edit: I knew you would disagree Tom, we've had this agruement in the chat before
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Sep 18, 2007,
the ramones?
i love them and you could say they invented punk, or at least helped form it, but i really don't think they are the punks? how about the dead kennedys? the clash?

edit:and omg greendaylolzlolzomglolz
Quote by livingontheedge
the sex pistols are gods
they made punk rock

As an avid Pistols fan, you give them far too much credit. They were no where close to creating punk rock. the US had had that under development for years before the Pistols were a band.
In my opinion, without the Velvet Underground and the MC5, there would be no Pistols or Dead Boys.

But to topic.

The article looks like they're just doing the one show. But I wouldn't put it past Lydon to push for a tour. Time will tell.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by livingontheedge
the sex pistols are overrated but at the same time they are underated by people saying they're overrated. steve jones was a good guitar player. and you cannot deny their influence

^who would you say did then?

Ah, my thoughts exactly!

The Ramones are the only tr00 punx ever

Except for the Casualties of course

Edit: It's punk, who cares about the guitar . The songs aren't that great, they're just worshoied by 13 year old kids because they're the first punk band

element, everyone knows Sid Vicious is the king of the tr00 punx.
And I'm not talking about you, but a lot of people give the Pistols **** for being untalented, which they weren't.
Also, 13 year old kids who worship bands do suck. But that doesn't mean that I can't genuinly (sp?) enjoy the Sex Pistols music.
Quote by Jett Diamond
As an avid Pistols fan, you give them far too much credit. They were no where close to creating punk rock. the US had had that under development for years before the Pistols were a band.
In my opinion, without the Velvet Underground and the MC5, there would be no Pistols or Dead Boys.

But to topic.

The article looks like they're just doing the one show. But I wouldn't put it past Lydon to push for a tour. Time will tell.

i didn't say the created it, i said they made it. but when i read lydons book it sounded like one of his bigger influences was DAVID BOWIE. another band that could be credited with an early punk rock would be the new york dolls. and thanks for answering the question.

EDIT: i see no problem with 13 year old kids liking the sex pistols. a problem i see is them walking around drawing the anarchy sign with sidewalk chalk and wearing walmart anarchy shirts.
Last edited by livingontheedge at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by neidnarb11890
element, everyone knows Sid Vicious is the king of the tr00 punx.
And I'm not talking about you, but a lot of people give the Pistols **** for being untalented, which they weren't.
Also, 13 year old kids who worship bands do suck. But that doesn't mean that I can't genuinly (sp?) enjoy the Sex Pistols music.
Yeah I know that Steve Jones was a decent guitarist; I don't really care about that though. I don't find their music/lyrics that good.

I think we've agree'd to disagree in the past right?

Do you like my new headline Tom?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by element4433
Yeah I know that Steve Jones was a decent guitarist; I don't really care about that though. I don't find their music/lyrics that good.

I think we've agree'd to disagree in the past right?

Do you like my new headline Tom?

Yes, I do. I think The Buzzcocks are a great band that we can all agree are totally awesome.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Yes, I do. I think The Buzzcocks are a great band that we can all agree are totally awesome.
Good, now come into the chat
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by livingontheedge
the sex pistols are gods
they made punk rock

Wrong on both accounts.
Quote by blackflag49
Pistols are a joke, they were made to advertise an image, which is why all the 12 year-old punx like them..

Listen to the Dead Boys

The Dead Boys?

Are you f*cking ill in the head?

The Dead Boys are crap. Stiv Bators can't sing, and Cheetah Chrome is a dirty ginger soufern redneck who can't play guitar for ****.

The others are still cool though.
You won't correct me, blackflag49.

Like anything good, be it the bible, or Mick Jones' turning up on time record, I am very inconsistent.
You're not punk if you don't like the pistols.

At least, if you don't like their music.

But there are too many fanboys who don't care about the actual music, they just want to buy into this fakey image, and then they start spouting all this bull**** on freedom and thinking for yourself...

Messrs Headon, Jones, Simonon and Mellor by any chance?

PS.) In case you didn't get it, I WAS being sarcastic, the dead boys are way better than the pistols.
But... what originality did the dead boys have?

Who do your think their music was based on? It just came innately.

As for the pistols clothes, you need to do your research, my friend.

Then come back and challenge me to a duel.
Quote by livingontheedge
i didn't say the created it, i said they made it. but when i read lydons book it sounded like one of his bigger influences was DAVID BOWIE. another band that could be credited with an early punk rock would be the new york dolls. and thanks for answering the question.

EDIT: i see no problem with 13 year old kids liking the sex pistols. a problem i see is them walking around drawing the anarchy sign with sidewalk chalk and wearing walmart anarchy shirts.

As Bowie is my favorite artist, followed closely by the Dolls, I'm aware of that. But the Velvet Underground and MC5 were doing it before they all were.

I need to read Lydon's book again. The last time I read it was like two years ago...I think it'd be more interesting to read now.
DOWN&OUT
And without Richard hell and the Voidoids the Sex Pistols would be...

nothing.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Yes they would, they'd just be devoid of a great song, and would dress in poncey suits like the Jam.

God damn those poncey suits!
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
God damn those poncey suits!

Wow, I felt really british saying that
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
i love their music.
god save the queen, bodies, and pretty vacant are some of the coolest (might not be the most complex) opening riffs i've ever heard.
i don't know where you got the idea of a 12 year old boy but if you wanna debate this i'd be happy to give you my address and we can have a face to face chat.
and i really liked lydons book, i suggest it to anybody who has the brain power to read.(probly not most of you)
I like their music, but it's annoying when the same people who call Green Day sellouts pracitcally worship the Sex Pistols.
Sourcing from Wikipedia?

That's really lazy. And extremely innacurate.

Well compared to the Sex Pistols, any band would have loads of originality...as long as they weren't told how to act, how to dress, or what kind of songs to write by some guy..

""Malcolm was often in the studio with his missus, wearing her clothes. He used to wear a pair of tartan trews and a sort of tartan nappy that went between his legs and hung from his shoulders. Very fetching. Still, at that time he didn't really interfere in the production process. That would only happen later on with lesser bands. And besides, Steve Jones would have smacked him in the mouth if he had tried to butt in. Malcolm was quite clever about not straying into territory where he couldn't command the band's respect. If he was talking about publicity or something of that nature they would listen to him, whereas if he'd talked too much about what songs he liked or how they should be played I don't they would have worn it."

- Bill Price, producer, never mind the bollocks

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/classictracks.htm

Did an insider write Wikipedia? I think not.

I also think that you should take livingontheedge's advice and read Lydon's book. It'll affirm this post, that's for sure.

Also, read up on the story where Westwood takes Rotten's new clothes and copies them for the boutique.

It might be here somewhere:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545823&highlight=punk+years

Also, watch this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576030&highlight=classic+albums+mind+bollocks
PS.)

"I never had one possible, single comment to make, other than 'just make it chaotic' " - Malcolm Maclaren
...but nothing justifies hiring a bass player just cause you think he has the right look..

Why is it so wrong?

By choosing someone good looking in your band, you dramitically increase the sales potential of the band... all the teenage boys will want a poster of the pretty girl to w*ank over.
Quote by livingontheedge
the sex pistols are gods
they made punk rock

I don't know if this has been pointed out or not, but it really bugged me, so I had to say it. The Dead Boys formed before the Sex Pistols.
Quote by blackflag49
Well since you went through the trouble, I'll take a look at your propaganda...but nothing justifies hiring a bass player just cause you think he has the right look..

To be fair, The Clash did that too.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by XxFIENDxX
But Paul Simonon could actually play his instrument...
+1

Sid Vicious couldn't play a song straight through when he was hired
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Sep 20, 2007,
Quote by XxFIENDxX
But Paul Simonon could actually play his instrument...

No he couldn't.

he had to paint the names of the notes onto his bass.

the reason he didn't write songs for the first album was because he was downstairs, trying to play along to reggae albums.

Sid, on the other hand, actually played very well (he didn't need note stickers on his fretboard), provided he wasn't on smack, which later on was more likely than not.

In fact, he did very well on the scandinavian tour.
Also, I pose a question for you cretins:

Who taught Sid to play bass?

100 punk points is yours for taking.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Also, I pose a question for you cretins:

Who taught Sid to play bass?

100 punk points is yours for taking.
Lemme(sp?) from Motorhead
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Nope.

I'll give you a clue, lessons were taught in the presence of Aunty Sue.
Lemme was my best guess. I saw a youtube video where Lemme talking about how Sid wanted Lemme to teach him how to play bass(it was hard to word this sentence, sorry if it doesn't make any sense).
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Page 1 of 3