I know a few scales, because I know that it will help me, but I have no clue how to use them! Do you mix match different ones for solos or something. What are these for? I learned the blues scale, and the Phrygian and stuff.
I use scales to help select keys to my songs, construct chords, solo and many other things.

But to answer your question, pretty much. If you know the key to a song like CMajor, then you could play the notes in the CMajor scale to solo over the chords. I normally play some random notes out of the scale till something grabs my attention, then build off of it.
epic7734
I need answers to this question too. I learned the penatonic scales, so if im making a solo and i want it to sound propper, just say my song is in D and i want to bust out a solo, i should only play notes in the D penatonic scale, not just random notes from any pentatonic scale yeaH?
^Correct. If you have a chord progression in D major, then the D major pentatonic scale is a good place to start if want to play some lead over it and its definitely going to be quicker than playing random notes until you stumble upon something that sounds good. Its going to be very limiting to play it exclusively though, dont be afraid to venture outside the scale or scale hop. Let your ear be the final judge.
Just to clarify things here, strictly speaking you haven't learned anything. A scale isn't a fingering pattern, a scale is a pattern of intervals between notes that relates to a specific chord progression. Therefore to learn a scale you need to know the notes it contains and the chords it relates to - where you physically put your fingers is the least important thing. Scales also exist all over the fretboard, not just in one position as guitarists often learn them.

Also, everything in western music is described in relation to the major scale so if you don't know that you can't actually learn anything else properly. If you want to learn theory you need to start at the beginning by learning the notes on the fretboard and the major scale. With that under your belt you'll be properly prepared to learn all the other stuff, and you'll find that not only does it make a lot more sense but you'll also learn it a lot quicker.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
o this was so predictable mark^^

don´t believe everything you read in the internet ok..
especially when a seagull tells you what to do

mark
how about tolerating other peoples oppinions or beeing open-minded?^^

i think this is more important than to learn scales!!!
Proud Member of UG´s HATECREW and the Tool Thread Biznitches

also proud member of the Jennerweinschützen Siegensdorf
Last edited by Tigri at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by Tigri

It was predictable because it's right...that is unless you're sitting on some revelation that renders the last 500 or so years of music theory development redundant
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Tigri

mark
how about tolerating other peoples oppinions or beeing open-minded?^^

i think this is more important than to learn scales!!!

eat this

The TS asked for help because he doesn't want to go through life playing his guitar in ignorance, unlike you

*reported*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The TS asked for help because he doesn't want to go through life playing his guitar in ignorance, unlike you

*reported*

don´t take everything so serious man

cheers!!!

While classic theory will tell you that certain scales/modes go over certain chords and progressions (which is right enough), if you are mainly into metal then it all goes a bit pear shaped, as the chordage is often made up entirely of powerchords using only roots and 5ths which have no Major/Minor characteristics, and progressions are pretty vague to none existent too - its often more like a melody (again, often quite 12 toney, though can be from a straight scale) played with parallel 5ths and octaves.

If it sounds right, or interesting to you, then I'd go with what you feel is right, even if people tell you its wrong down the line. The world is full of people who sound exactly like each other, find your own rules.