I'm a beginner, since a few months ago, and I've noticed that I tend to hold my breath when I'm playing, even more so while practicing certain scales or anything that's challenging for me. I never thought about it too much until I watched this instructional DVD with Eric Johnson and he mentioned it, and said it can mess with your timing.

This might sound weird but when I was sleeping last night I woke up...because I wasn't breathing! I hope it's not from what I think, that is, playing my guitar and holding my breath.

Today I tried to consciously inhale and exhale when I noticed I wasn't breathing, is that the best way to fix this bad habit?
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
If you are aware of a habit then you are on the right track. Taking things slowly is one of the better ways to break a bad habit on guitar or in your case while playing. So since you are aware of the habit you should be able to break it.
epic7734
thats kinda strange to not be breathing in your sleep... if that keeps up you might want to consult a doctor, that could be serious...
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
This could also be a confidence thing because your concentrating so hard so hold your breath to focus, i'm sure as you become more experienced this will disappear. As for the sleep thing thats just scary lol!
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
having pauses in breathing is a sleep disorder. let me quote wikipedia

"Sleep apnea, sleep apnoea or sleep apnœa is a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep. These episodes, called apneas (literally, "without breath"), each last long enough so one or more breaths are missed, and occur repeatedly throughout sleep."

i used to suffer from it too.. and i think you should go see a doc
Quote by Baasoromyuu

This might sound weird but when I was sleeping last night I woke up...because I wasn't breathing!

that sounds like sleep apnia (bad spellin..) to me, not sure, but i had it when i was young... had to have a heart moniter hooked up to me when i slept

could just be somthing u were dreaming about that your muscles reacted to, its like an involuntary movement when u sleep ie. kicking in your sleep

if thats a common accourance... id ask a doctor
I think it might've happened before, but I can't remember.

Anyways, today while playing I was able to breathe semi-normally while pushing the limits of my speed of my scale runs. Thanks everyone.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Baasoromyuu
today while playing I was able to breathe semi-normally while pushing the limits of my speed of my scale runs. Thanks everyone.

Then you're playing too fast. Slow down your playing until you can do everything normally and easily before trying to speed up. (Including breathing)

ie: If you can't breathe 100% normally without having to think about it, then you're playing too fast.