I was just reading the headline article on aerosmith, and in one of the comments someone said something about how all music today was just Drop D. (thats not the exact quote so dont kill me)

well...my band uses Drop D in some of our songs...the rest are in E Standard.

now i know **** bands like FOB use Drop D almost exclusively, but other then that why is using Drop D so bad? I realize that all the good classic rock bands used E Standard (and the Stones and Zeppelin ventured into Open D, G, and E) and that is still all around, but i dont see what the problem with Drop D is.

can anyone help me?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
help you what? i don't understand where the trouble is...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Actually all bands today use Drop C, but w/e. And no, use whatever tuning you want, who the hell cares.

Personally I like standard, because I just memorized all the major/minor movable scale positions, and drop tuning would through the whole thing out of wack.
Last edited by technicolour at Sep 18, 2007,
I think it sounds pretty good, even though I like standard and Drop C more though. It's just a matter of opinion, bro.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
It's the lack of creativity. Power chords aren't very respectable...when you can play a powerchord with just one finger, people tend to think that you're really ****ing lazy
The Pit. The Movie.
Why not, drop tuning is good IMO. Same as a lot of other tunings. To say drop tunings are lame, is to say all other tunings are lame.
Quote by Spay
It's the lack of creativity. Power chords aren't very respectable...when you can play a powerchord with just one finger, people tend to think that you're really ****ing lazy

what lack of creativity? If you think about it all your doing is getting acess to a lower note(s). That messes up creativity?
see thats what im wondering. our band is influenced HEAVILY by bands like Led Zepp and Black Sabbath and basically the whole bluesy thing...and we got songs in Drop D but we try to stay away from being boring and only powerchords like FOB..we got solos and stuff. good riffs. i wish i had some recordings to show you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
Quote by metaldud536
what lack of creativity? If you think about it all your doing is getting acess to a lower note(s). That messes up creativity?

Well, I mean when playing pure powerchords and nothing else. I have nothing against drop D unless it's soul purpose is to just make powerchords easier for emo-punk bands
The Pit. The Movie.
i dont like drop tunings because it ****s up the lay out of the notes for obvious reasons and i dont particularly like the sound of it anyway. i just like using E, Eb and D standard tunings
It's just the ignorance of some people. Tunings are tunings, there is no right or wrong, don't ler pricks tell you otherwise. I've never ventured out of Eb, E, open G, drop D, or whole step down. Even whole step down and then drop the lwo string however. That's not to say any other tunings are bad, I just don't listen to/play music with other tunings than those.

And FOB isn't half bad. Niether is MCR. Shoot me.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by HyperBoy2519
see thats what im wondering. our band is influenced HEAVILY by bands like Led Zepp and Black Sabbath and basically the whole bluesy thing...and we got songs in Drop D but we try to stay away from being boring and only powerchords like FOB..we got solos and stuff. good riffs. i wish i had some recordings to show you.

i still don't get what the problem is...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by HyperBoy2519

Dude as long as you don't abuse powerchords it should be fine. Tune to whatever you want. Personally I like A G C F A D, Mastodon style .
Generally, I stick to standard tunings but you know what, it's cool to experiment with different arrangements. Though when a band *****s that dropped tunings for the sake of being heavier and consistently use riffs that are almost identical to each other, then there's a problem.
Quote by x_thurston_x
i still don't get what the problem is...

its not neccesarily that i have a problem, its just i dont understand why people are having a problem with such a trivial thing as tuning.

Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
It's just the ignorance of some people. Tunings are tunings, there is no right or wrong, don't ler pricks tell you otherwise. I've never ventured out of Eb, E, open G, drop D, or whole step down. Even whole step down and then drop the lwo string however. That's not to say any other tunings are bad, I just don't listen to/play music with other tunings than those.

And FOB isn't half bad. Niether is MCR. Shoot me.

i usually stay in all the same tunings. and i like MCR too. we can die together
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
As long as the music coming out of the amp is good, who cares?

Mark Tremonti used DADADD for Weathered...does that mean he sucks?
Nope. None at all.
its more likely to just play faster

so you can just use one finger to play it and you have a better reach
It's a tuning.

Playing guitar is not a sport.

No one remembers that it's supposed to be art. It's stupid to care what tuning a band plays in.

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
Quote by HexaDakota
As long as the music coming out of the amp is good, who cares?

Mark Tremonti used DADADD for Weathered...does that mean he sucks?

i think it was the frontman that made him suck...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

If it sounds good, play it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i guess my main issue here was is that i just dont want my band filed away into some stupid kind of subcategory where people say "oh...another drop D band." i want em to say "hey. this band plays music. maybe i like em maybe i dont"
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
Lots of Soundgarden songs are in drop D, but they utilize drop D in a coll way to reach those lower notes. And soundgarden rocks.
Quote by HyperBoy2519
i guess my main issue here was is that i just dont want my band filed away into some stupid kind of subcategory where people say "oh...another drop D band." i want em to say "hey. this band plays music. maybe i like em maybe i dont"

trust me, whether or not you play in dropped-d is going to be the least of your worries...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by HyperBoy2519

That really depends on your audience. Most people in the world have no idea that guitars(or any instrument) can even be played in different tunings,
There's nothing wrong with it but ever since a couple people started using it then it's because the way for some bands to sound cool and heavier. Nothing against drop tunings but some bands abuse them. I think dimebag used that tuning sometimes but he liked different tunings.

It's fun to experiment but abuse=bad
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
Sometimes it lets you do faster riffs. For example, Slither by Velvet Revolver, try playing it perfectly in standard; it's not that easy, and it sounds crummed up. Also, it gives you some darker notes, and makes you sound somewhat heavier.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
oi... I wonder what the general age is for people on the pits? 'cause it seems more and more that it's 5 year old's... if that old.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by HyperBoy2519

i usually stay in all the same tunings. and i like MCR too. we can die together

High five! *slap* All right! *giggles wildly*

They're guitarist is actually really good. The solo to Teenagers is awesome, and Famous Last Words's riff is aweosme. As is the solo.

FOB doesn't have any intense instrumental stuff, but they're catchy and good to listen to. And that's what music is about, listening.

Ignorance people, ignorance is too present in todays world. But who am I talking to...todays society is like a mass Lord of the Flies.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
yeah you know i prolly have been hard on FOB...Thanks For The Memories was pretty good and Dance Dance was always fun to listen to.

youre right about the listening part FoolOnThePlanet...i wish more people would be like that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
Remember, Alot of classical pieces are In D. ANd they were written before the guys from aerosmith were born, so F\/ck them.

Bach was really a metal head.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by HyperBoy2519

youre right about the listening part FoolOnThePlanet...i wish more people would be like that.

Me too...me too.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
awww.... how cute...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

I don't believe in tuning elitism....I used to get crap form my friends for playing in drop D, but that's just because I needed access to the octave it opened up for me and it made playing certain chords muche asier and allowed me to speed them up and create unique time figures.

I play in Eb and C# now....and they're much prefered to other tunings I've used, but I don't judge based on it. ****, my guitar instructor used to do piccolo tuning sometimes and I thought it was really cool.

Alot of chords sound really sweet in C#...try a G-chord in C# and you'll just melt.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Last edited by Ingsoc at Sep 18, 2007,
"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to." -Elvis Presley, one of THE MOST praised rockerz in history .
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!