at my lesson a few hours ago, we jammed to old blues and i suck.

like i just cant pull off any good sounding licks

whatever i play sounds real not with feeling, its not that im playing too fast, but even when i bend reallly high or exxagerate the vibrato

i know it will probably come with practice, but i cant even listen to my horrible playing
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
im trying to memorize the blues scale, but i know it and can play it while looking at it

but we usually play in one key, but i can move up or down and change patterns and keep the key
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
imagine a sunrise then try to create that feeling on your guitar bend the strings not to fast but not to slow and instead of using all your fingers for scales use your pointer finger and connect the dots with slides and dont forget practice practice practice
dont worry dude itll come in time. Just try and remember all or at least most of the scale your using across the fretboard. If you cant find some really slow blues backtrack use it to solo over. then gradually check out some faster ones. you can solo blues at any(usually) speed. If your soloing off slow you can throw in some cool fast licks. If that made sense good if it did not them oh well
no i got it

ill just need to practice more

(lol does that ever NOT apply to anything technique related?)
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by H(i)SS
learn other peoples' solos for lick ideas, familiarity, etc. feeling you say? get shot down by some chick! trust me it works...

it does, i wrote a song soon after i got turned down (politely, thankfully, unlike another one...) and my friend nearly worships it, calling it very bluesy
i just got a great idea...i should get turned down by every chick i know, and before you know it...MARTINISM

sweet...

...just take H(i)SS' advice
that sounds like a good idea

ive tried to convey feelings onto the strings before
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
people that suck at blues, generally dont play, or listen to blues very often, which is ofcourse the reason they have problems playing it.

The best thing you can do for yourself, is get familiar with the pentatonic, and blues scales (if you arent already), and then learn a few blues solos. learn them note for note, and mimick every nuance as closely as you can. Spend some time just listening as well. Alot of people overlook this, but its really essential IMO.

so basically:
- know the materials (scales)
- listen to blues
- study, learn, practice and immitate blues solos
- play blues

Good luck.
You don't play the blues, till you LIVE the blues...

I forget who said that, but it's pretty much true. You have to put everything you have into every note. That's what blues is. It's not a scale, it's not an amp, it's not a guitar, it's not a technique. It's pouring your soul into every note.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Great point about listening and studying licks from other players. It'll come with time and practice. Vibrato took me years to get down to the point where I liked mine. It'll come with time. A far as putting you heart and soul into playing I would recommend you study licks from songs that really move you evoke a strong emotional response. One I love that's not blues is the new RHCP "Strip My Mind" solo technically its not too difficult but you can feel John's just pouring his whole being into those notes - I love it beyond words.
There are some things I can tell you. Blues is all about crysis of identity between b3 and 3 (minor and major) and b7ths. Also use a lot of "chromatic runs" - I mean, like, go from 1 to b7 like this: 1-7-b7.
Quote by Paleo Pete
You don't play the blues, till you LIVE the blues...

I forget who said that, but it's pretty much true. You have to put everything you have into every note. That's what blues is. It's not a scale, it's not an amp, it's not a guitar, it's not a technique. It's pouring your soul into every note.

While I see where you getting at, what your saying is not exactly true. I f what your saying is true then you could play any notes and call it the blues as long as you put feeling into it. The blues is largely based around the 1 4 5 progression and the minor pentatonic scale which gives you the sound your looking for.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
While I see where you getting at, what your saying is not exactly true. I f what your saying is true then you could play any notes and call it the blues as long as you put feeling into it. The blues is largely based around the 1 4 5 progression and the minor pentatonic scale which gives you the sound your looking for.

Exactly.... there are tangible things that we can classify as contributing to the "blues" sound. Getting familiar with those things can help someone get in touch with what the blues sound is.
things like..

- form
- chord types & chord progression
- feel
- scales

Truly "feeling" it is a plus for sure, but I think that if you study those aspects, and ofcourse listen to, and play the blues, chances are youll be able to play the style convincingly.
let the feeling flow onto the strings man, and make sure you got really fuxx distortion
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
what i do is add some rakes, pick dynamics, vibratos, slow bends, and microtone bends. these elements add lots of flavor to the guitar solo. you gotta feel it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Sean-Man
let the feeling flow onto the strings man, and make sure you got really fuxx distortion

Fuxx distortion?

What do you mean by that?

Just about any amount of overdrive/distortion works for the blues when all is said and done. Well, as long as you're not playing the 7th or 9th chords. Then again, Hendrix loaded on the dist and used #9 chords so who knows what you can get away with?

Traditionally, however, blues uses a touch of distortion/overdrive or none at all, if it's any help.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
Fuxx distortion?

What do you mean by that?

Just about any amount of overdrive/distortion works for the blues when all is said and done. Well, as long as you're not playing the 7th or 9th chords. Then again, Hendrix loaded on the dist and used #9 chords so who knows what you can get away with?

Traditionally, however, blues uses a touch of distortion/overdrive or none at all, if it's any help.

i ment fuzz i pressed the wrong key
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112