I'm a bassist and dont really know a whole lot about guitars. My friends birthday is coming up soon, and me and a few other people were thinking about getting him an Epi SG, right now he was a Squier Standard Strat. So should we do it?
depends on what he plays but i would say thats an upgrade
but, i would consider an amp if he has a really ****ty one
Send me off to bed forevermore.
It depends on the model. Stay away from the "Special" series, it's another word for 'garbage'.
The G-400 is a much better model and at only $300, it's a good price for a good guitar.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Well, right now he has a Fender Frontman something, it's not huge but it puts out, and we were prolly gunna try to only spend maybe 200-250 bucks and a new amp is prolly out of the budget.
I personally, aside from Fender and Gibson, prefer Epiphone over Squier. Now I'm just assuming, but its pretty sure to assume the Squier came in a bundle package (****ty amp included). My friend bought a Squier Strat (bundle) and it is "okay" but the amp is....well...****ty. An amp would probably be the best thing to do (LINE6, definetly).

*EDIT* Frontman is nice, I use it...get a guitar
Last edited by americablanco at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by americablanco
An amp would probably be the best thing to do (LINE6, definetly).

A Line 6 Spider? No, no, no, NO!

I suggest upgrading the amp first. A new guitar is kind of a waste with a poor amp. What kind of music does he play?
Yeah upgrade the amp. The Frontman 15G sucks ass. Almost anything is better than that... Even a Roland Cube is better than it, although it's a bit quiet. You can probably get a VERY decent used amp at GC for like $150.
Then I would suggest checking out the Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube (not the Cube 15). I don't listen to any of those bands but I can tell you the Vox excels at classic rock/blues and the Cube is better for more hard rockish/metalish tones, neither is limited to those genres though. Either amp would be an upgrade from his current amp. If you were planning to spend 200-250 on a guitar I assume you were looking at the G310 or SG Special... they really aren't much better than the Squier to be honest.
Quote by Captain Insano
I'm a bassist and dont really know a whole lot about guitars. My friends birthday is coming up soon, and me and a few other people were thinking about getting him an Epi SG, right now he was a Squier Standard Strat. So should we do it?

get him a small valve amp instead. thatll improve the tone no mateter what guitar he has and then he can choose a new guitar when he feels he needs one.go for an epiphone valve junior combo for just under $/£100. they are quite good out of the box but you can mod them insanely for a few $/£.
Quote by ketiov
Yeah upgrade the amp. The Frontman 15G sucks ass. Almost anything is better than that... Even a Roland Cube is better than it, although it's a bit quiet. You can probably get a VERY decent used amp at GC for like $150.

"Even a Roland Cube"? What are you on? Cube amps rule all over the place. The Microcube is the only quiet one out of the bunch (and to a lesser extent, the Cube 15). Cube 30 and 60 are the very best starter amps, IMO.