how high does paul gilbert set his action? is it 2mm or higher? like 4mm? because he plays fast but still has pure tone.
i'm pretty sure it's damn low. like sacrificing tone and having buzz on certain frets kinda low. but if it's just high enough to get good tone, it doesn't really matter cuz PG is basically one of the most technically skilled guitarists that is recognized in the industry...

the man's made the guitar his bitch.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
the question is, how low...not how high...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^

Most of his speed is technique, not the action. Although aciton does help, he could shred on an acoustic i fyou give it to him.
Quote by shtiming
^

Most of his speed is technique, not the action. Although aciton does help, he could shred on an acoustic i fyou give it to him.

as he does on "Get out of my Yard"...crazy stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
No one knows how low he sets it, its preference. He never measured it individually, he has better use of his time.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
that depends, his picking dynamic is different from time to time. Picking harder would yield different tone and more twangy sound, vice versa.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
personal I'd say you wanna play like him have your action lowered... You notice that it is much easier to play hard **** (like hammer on sweeps)
Quote by madpickin03
No one knows how low he sets it, its preference. He never measured it individually, he has better use of his time.

Yeah, most guitarists don't take measurments of stuuf like that. I have no idea what the exact height of my action is, I just know it's very low.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Walter123
how high does paul gilbert set his action? is it 2mm or higher? like 4mm? because he plays fast but still has pure tone.

He sets it as high as he feels necessary, and you should do the same.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
personal I'd say you wanna play like him have your action lowered... You notice that it is much easier to play hard **** (like hammer on sweeps)

While it is true, I raised my action to stop fret Buzz and it only took me a few hours before I was up to speed on raised action.
will raising the action get rid of all the buzz? so high action means no buzz? like 4mm?
4mm above the 12th fret is pretty high, it's higher than my acoustic action which i consider high. i'd say it's around 2mm on my electric and it only has a little buzz on a few first frets (not through the amp) if picked hard and it's my fault because i like my neck almost flat, with almost no neck relief.
it depends on each guitar how low you can have the action without buzzing, also neck set up (amount of neck relief), string gauge and tuning (with less tension you get more buzz), and your playing style...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by shtiming
^

His "Acoustic Samurai" album proves this.
Acoustic version of Scarified? Now that's scary.
you can get "lower than normal" action on acoustics if you play around with the truss rod and bridge saddle.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by TimmyPage06
While it is true, I raised my action to stop fret Buzz and it only took me a few hours before I was up to speed on raised action.

Well thats why you experment and try to go as low as possible
Malmsteen's guitar has a relatively high action but still he can play at lighning speed. A low action is not necessary to shred but does improve the playability.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by kyrreca
His "Acoustic Samurai" album proves this.
Acoustic version of Scarified? Now that's scary.

That album is awsome.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN