im thinking of buying a randall rg100g3, it has a mosfet poweramp with a single tube, and i was wondering that if anyone had any experience with hybrids i have 2 questions about it.

1. should i crank the power amp to get the most sound out of the tube or rely on the pre amp for the gain and tone
2. if i were to hook up a tube overdrive pedal into the effects loop will it have any positive effect or will it just make a bunch of ****ty noise and bad tone

i need you help UG
Cranking a hybrid amp sounds no better than a straight-up solid state. They start to clip (a kind of distortion that sounds nasty) as the power section gets overloaded.
A tube overdrive would not have much effect, and is more likely to make it sound worse.
If you want an amp that sounds good cranked you need to go tube. Take that money and shop for a good tube combo, new or used. A 30 watt tube amp will be just as loud or maybe a little louder and sound good when cranked.
Quote by uldhppi
Cranking a hybrid amp sounds no better than a straight-up solid state. They start to clip (a kind of distortion that sounds nasty) as the power section gets overloaded.
A tube overdrive would not have much effect, and is more likely to make it sound worse.
If you want an amp that sounds good cranked you need to go tube. Take that money and shop for a good tube combo, new or used. A 30 watt tube amp will be just as loud or maybe a little louder and sound good when cranked.

it really depends on which type of hybrid it is, be it SS pre and tube power, or tube pre and SS power. however i'm guessing its tube pre and ss power so what he said would apply in this instance.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.