Im sort of a noob at the guitar, Ive been playing for nearly 2 years and im pretty good for someone playing for that long but i need help with selecting a new guitar.

Im looking at a Jackson JS30KE Kelly $700Aus or what i think is a ESP LTD EX50 for $750Aus.

What one do you think I should get?
well i have the ltd ex 50 and i was gonna get the kelly but then didnt. i think the kelleys better but if your ltd is an 07 model then get that one. try them out if possible but if not i can tell you the ex 50 is great.
i'd save up for at least a 400-level esp ltd. of course you could go used
Eventhough I don't like either guitar, I'd rather have the Kelly if I had to choose. The LTDs under the 400 series are made out of Agathis, a lower quality wood, which won't produce as good of a sound as the Alder-bodied JS30 will produce through the same amp.

Plus, that's an insane amount to pay for the LTD, they're not really worth it if you're out of the US or Canada, the EX50 is actually $100 cheaper in the US than the JS30 is, yet it's $50 more in Australia.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I prefer Jacksons. I don't know how much 800 AUS is, but check out the Pro series. They come with real SDs. Otherwise get a Kelly.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eventhough I don't like either guitar, I'd rather have the Kelly if I had to choose. The LTDs under the 400 series are made out of Agathis, a lower quality wood, which won't produce as good of a sound as the Alder-bodied JS30 will produce through the same amp.

What this man said!
The JS is NOT alder. Its Indian Cedro. Its just as bad as agathis really. Look for something used, or save some more money, as imo neither of those guitars are very good.
put it this way...

i played on my friends cheap-ass ESP LTD KH202 (i think thats the model) and even compared to my gibson LP it wasn't a bad guitar at all!

EDIT: don't think that means a cheap LTD is as good as a LP, its WAAAAAY behind, i'm just saying its not bad for the price

the higher end ESPs really intrigue me now and i'm sure they'll be excellent

jacksons have apparently gone down hill since fender took them over
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Last edited by samtewari at Sep 19, 2007,
I love higher end LTDs and would choose a 400 series or above over a similarly priced Jackson anytime. I find the unfinished ESP/LTD Thin U Neck to be one of the best I've ever played. I wouldn't touch a 50 series LTD with a bargepole though so Jackson in this case.
Personally, ESP doesn't have any color options for each guitar hardley at all, and one guitar has one good feature while another has another good feature, but I have yet to see an ESP guitar incorporate all of those and the fret boards aren't that great in my opinion, also Jackson guitars though they look neat on the headstock, they don't really have different wood material models, but they do have color options. so every brand has their trade offs, but Ibanez's are made at better quality.

I would get an Ibanez as they have better craftsmanship and quality in their work, yes they don't have good pickups at first, but that is an easy fix and worth while

RGT42FXQM

RGT42FX

RGR421EXFM

RGT320Q

cheaper route to get Just what you want=====below

RG321MH

^ how to do that? answer below

$278+ $180 ( good pickups) + $12 (paint stripper) +$10(Paint Primer) + $50 in Duplic color automobile spray paint (good quality paint for your guitar, that comes in every color, even special paints that change color for angles of light, basically any paint you would want) =$522
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by samtewari

jacksons have apparently gone down hill since fender took them over

Where is the BS Flag when you need it?
Quote by CJRocker
Where is the BS Flag when you need it?

i've heard it from a few sources actually

i couldn't actually comment seeing as i've only played on older jacksons
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
I just realised for the price of a Esp Ltd MH-200 I could get a Edwards version for 100 more... That says alot of the Ltd's below 400 series.
all the lower jackson models are crap. The USA models are still very good oh. (just even more expensive then they used to be) The japanese models are quite good too. Fender didn't hurt jackson near as bad as they hurt other companies they took over since they have very little competition (jackson is moremetal while fender is pretty much the opposite)

However they absolutely killed guild (stopped production of all solidbodies)
Quote by samtewari
i've heard it from a few sources actually

i couldn't actually comment seeing as i've only played on older jacksons

My sources and experience say different. If you look at its history, Akai brought it down hill. In fact, thank Fender for putting better trems on the Pro and MG series, as well as actual Duncans and EMG actives. Akai ran the shop into the ground, and now Fender is slowly trying to build it back up again with new people into there, etc. Another point goes to Fender for gearing up to bring a Japanese Charvel Strat into production.
Older Jacksons have been extemely great in my opinion. The new lower end models aren't great but the higher end one's are. I would say save up for a mid or high end Jackson but if you have to chose between those, go for the ESP. In my experience ESP has great value with their low end guitars.
$700AUD for a JS30 jackson is crazy, they are normally around $500
You can get a new jackson Dx10D if you like the super strat shape for $829 at billy hyde music, you could even get lower then that..maybe 750. Or for a bit more, $1300 you can get the pro series RR3 with real duncans in them from venue music. Even if you have to wait a bit longer to save the money those two are worth it, they are way better than the JS30
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
Actually the RR3's average at about 1200-1100. If your paying 1300 for the RR3 your getting ripped.

I seriously recommend saving an extra $500 or so for a Jackson KE3 or LTD EX400.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by CJRocker
My sources and experience say different. If you look at its history, Akai brought it down hill. In fact, thank Fender for putting better trems on the Pro and MG series, as well as actual Duncans and EMG actives. Akai ran the shop into the ground, and now Fender is slowly trying to build it back up again with new people into there, etc. Another point goes to Fender for gearing up to bring a Japanese Charvel Strat into production.

My soloist is a Pro Series and has a an original floyd rose bridge and 3 SD pickups? how do you get better than that?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
i ll go for jacksons check the pro series i have a rr3 and its great guitar
tombst0ne designs
Digital art ,CD covers,posters,anything let me now
my gallery
Quote by .arkness:.
Actually the RR3's average at about 1200-1100. If your paying 1300 for the RR3 your getting ripped.

Its with hardcase.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by elchico04
My soloist is a Pro Series and has a an original floyd rose bridge and 3 SD pickups? how do you get better than that?

I think quality was a bit better then, judging by ones I've own/ed and played. I think the trems on the older ones were a bit better. plus the older ones had real MOP inlays. However it comes down to preference. I just prefer late 80s/early 90s Charvel/Jacksons due to better trems, better quality, and a bit nicer fit and finish. However, there is nothing wrong with your SL3, and it's a great guitar.