Okay, sorry for the stupid question, but I've been wondering. When someone refers to the speed of a guitar neck, what exactly does that mean? Like a slow neck, or a fast neck...sorry for the nub question!
Thickness of the neck. The thinner, the faster the neck.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by TSelman
Thickness of the neck. The thinner, the faster the neck.

Not always. If a neck is too thin, then you hand can get worn out quickly. I like a round, thin neck, but not too thin. My SG's neck is perfect for me, and it is a little thinner than 1 inch. Any thinner than that, and the neck becomes hard for me to play on.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Imo, there's no such thing as neck speed.

How fast you can play on a neck is completely based on preference.

I myself HATE Ibanez wizard and Jackson necks. Causes my wrist to fatigue, and cramps up the joint between my wrist and thumb. Im better off with a medium shape neck.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Thinner is only faster if your a novice player.
If you can shred (Zakk Wylde), then you can do it on a baseball bat sized neck like he does.
Neck speed is just how fast you can get your hand to move along the neck in relation to other necks, it has nothing to do with specific thinkness I don't think. Whatever you find your hand trevels the fastest/smoothest against.

I am a shitty example of that becuase I play really thin-ass necks, they just work for me.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by demea
If you can shred (Zakk Wylde), then you can do it on a baseball bat sized neck like he does.

his neck's unfinished though so he can move up and down it

the problem with standard gibson necks for speed is all the laquer on it gives it loads of friction
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by demea

he shaves his neck down.

if you can shred (buckethead would have been a better example... zakk can't) then you can do it on any sized neck.

if you gave satch a squier he'd still be able to shred like a mofo.

also thinner is better for playing single notes, it makes the distance your fingers have to travel less but it has it's disadvantages for chords because the thin neck makes you have to press down more to get the notes to ring out.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
he shaves his neck down.

if you can shred (buckethead would have been a better example... zakk can't) then you can do it on any sized neck.

if you gave satch a squier he'd still be able to shred like a mofo.

also thinner is better for playing single notes, it makes the distance your fingers have to travel less but it has it's disadvantages for chords because the thin neck makes you have to press down more to get the notes to ring out.

I'm sure Zakk would be able to shred on anything as well.
I personally believe that "neck speed" is more about the fretboard than the back of the neck. My guitar has a pretty high action, but when I tried some axes at the store the other day, they felt so darn easy to play!

The neck to me doesn't make much of a difference, as long as it's not abnormally thin, like Jackson or Ibanez Wizards. It's more the string height and the frets.
Quote by demea
I'm sure Zakk would be able to shred on anything as well.

If that's what you consider shred then fine, but I feel shred is more than pentatonics and pinch harmonics with a less than decent technique and accuracy.

I'm not about to get into an argument over some mediocre player, as I actually agreed with your points, just not your example.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
If that's what you consider shred then fine, but I feel shred is more than pentatonics and pinch harmonics with a less than decent technique and accuracy.

I'm not about to get into an argument over some mediocre player, as I actually agreed with your points, just not your example.

Lets not make this into an anti-Zakk Wylde thread (even though I know what you mean).

TS - you already got most answers, the neck you find most comfortable will be the one that you personally will be able to play fastest on most likely, I shred on a Les Paul neck, but I can do it on Jacksons and Ibanez guitars just as easily once I get used to the guitar.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
^yeah the most important thing about a neck is it's comfort for you.

If you want to play shred but have huge hands then you might be better off with a LP type neck, if you have small hands but only play chords then it may be worthwhile looking at a thinner neck.

but you should be able to play at around the same level on most guitars once you get used to them.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Sep 19, 2007,
I cant stand how some Ibanez's have a flatter neck. My preference is a bit on the thin side but completly rounded. Think Fender American strat.
Oh, and the finish on the neck plays a BIG roll. I cant play anything other than a wood neck without having my hand get caught or too much friction.
There are no rules for a guitar playing well or whatever. I think the notion of a fast neck is somewhat silly. The neck is only "fast" if it suits the person playing it. Some would call a Les Paul a fast guitar and some a Strat and some an RG.

Whatever suits the style of the person who is playing it is a fast neck. The only thing that is universal is that a sticky neck hinders you.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Just wondering, would you guys say that Schecters have somewhat big and round necks? or medium?
Quote by PuttYoh
Just wondering, would you guys say that Schecters have somewhat big and round necks? or medium?

Schecter necks are really close to Gibson necks, IMO, whatever you want to call that. Some people think Gibson necks are "baseball bats" but I beg to differ and I don't have large hands at all. In any case, they're fairly rounded and thicker than, say, a Fender or Ibanez.