Alright after I finish aying off some bills I will be in the market looking around for an amp.

Heres my current setup :

Line 6 30 watt ( I know I know..I now hate it)

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Jackson (Dinky) forgot what model
*Non important*__> Martin 000X1

EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
EHX Bigg Muff (Russian)
Dimebag Wah
VS Jekyll/Hyde
and then the zw-44 and MT-2 that Im selling...
And Im getting some nice Mogami cables from a fellow HC'er asap...

I'll be getting more pedals soon, probably some delay and w/e else..I play a lot of Metallica but I venture into a LOT of styles..it all depends on my mood and what sounds nice to me. I love good cleans so...

Now to my main point. Initially I was looking to spend 500-600 on a nice tube combo. I went down the noobish halfstack road and sold it asap because it was too loud...go figure. I mainly play at home but I need it loud enough to jam with and possibly gig with if need be. I was pretty much set on a B-52 212. Its a great amp, but then I was thinking...if Im blowing so much $ already why not just spend a little more and get everything done right the 1st time. SOOOO...I'm now looking for something that will last and kickass for a while.

Ultimately I'll probably dish out ~900 if I really need it. I was looking at the 5150 combo but Ive heard the cleans arent great. Now Im considering the Mesa F-50. Im figuring 50 watt tube should be enough to jam with yet still small enough to use at home right?

Any other suggestions you guys could offer?
style of music?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
I've played the F-50, and prefered the B-52. I think the F-50 had old tubes though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
nothing like people who can't read
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Quote by blacklp
nothing like people who can't read

lol you took the words out of my mouth
fender makes a good tube amp for alot of cleans but i dont know how hard it would be to get that metallica kinda tone out of it. if you keep that metal zone it might be a little easier but i havent tried the dist. pedals you have so they may even get a pretty good tone with it
^don't.

it's kinda hard to get the metal tone and decent cleans from the same amp. maybe u should look at the JCM900 combos? dual channel ones. $500 ish on ebay?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
See, I like to fiddle around a lot with different distortions ( if you can't tell) I really feel that having different tones is essential, thats why I have a lot of dirt boxes. And of course, nothing beats a Mesa in that category. Ive also heard they have nice cleans..

Meh, time to head down to GC to investigate....
Just another name to throw out there if you're looking for a metal amp. Obviously you would need to try it first, but have a look at the Krank Revolution if you're at GC and they have one. You should be able to get a used Rev 1 combo right around that price. There is a combo on HC as a matter of fact for $900 + 60 shipping I saw tonight. Decent cleans IMO for a high gain head, and a really brutal lead channel. I don't know how much gain you're looking for, but it's a serious modern voiced metal amp.

Krank gets a real bad rap around here, but I just picked up a Krankenstein head to mess around with, and it's not nearly as bad as everyone says IMO. At least not for metal. I got a ridiculous price on a head and cab, otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever tried it. Here is a little clip of the lead channel I made a couple days ago. I've only had a few days with it, so I'm still learning the eq, but it can do some nasty br00tal tones from what I've heard so far.

The Rev is supposed to be better sounding, and easier to dial in according to people that own both. Here's a page with some clips . My buddy has the Rev combo, and I really liked the amp. Much better than most people give it credit for. They are going real cheap used with all the negative hype around them too, and they are built like tanks. Even little things like the transformers are the biggest I've ever had in an amp, I'm actually very impressed with the build quality so far. I've owned my fair share of high quality amps to compare it with too.

If Metallica is your bag, you may be able to find a used Mark III too, which would also definitely be worth checking out. Just make sure it has the GEQ
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by ASGTrace
Now Im considering the Mesa F-50. Im figuring 50 watt tube should be enough to jam with yet still small enough to use at home right?

In all honesty, a good 15W amp is plenty for jams, and something like the F-30 would handle all your gigging needs. I think the F series is a great choice for you, and that maybe you'll want to look into the Express series, too. A little more than you were looking to spend (unless you can find one used), but the fact that it's switchable down to 5W would be useful for you.

You might want to have a look at Traynor amps, too. The YCV 50 has a Marshall like crunch to it, while the 40 is more modern voiced. Both have great cleans.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you're willing to go used Boogie has some amps around $900 used that would be great for you. The f-series, A Rectoverb, MAYBE a Mark IV around $1000 (don't scoff, I've seen them go for that). I'd say look and see what ebay has to offer when it come to mesa, you could find a gem.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Yeah I've heard the Nomads are pretty poor sounding compared to other Mesas.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Okay I only had a minute but I checked out some Mesa's at GC. All they had combo wise was the lonestar special, express 5:50 and stiletto ace.

I didnt have time to fiddle with them but the Stiletto pawns. Its very high gain and has sick cleans. I was expecting to like the express but eh....REALLY not high gain enough. I had the gain on max, treb on 8-9 mid ~4 and bass 6-7. I wasnt impressed. It had a nice chug to it I guess but not really that scorching high gain sound I was after.
Quote by Erock503
Just another name to throw out there if you're looking for a metal amp. Obviously you would need to try it first, but have a look at the Krank Revolution if you're at GC and they have one. You should be able to get a used Rev 1 combo right around that price. There is a combo on HC as a matter of fact for $900 + 60 shipping I saw tonight. Decent cleans IMO for a high gain head, and a really brutal lead channel. I don't know how much gain you're looking for, but it's a serious modern voiced metal amp.

Krank gets a real bad rap around here, but I just picked up a Krankenstein head to mess around with, and it's not nearly as bad as everyone says IMO. At least not for metal. I got a ridiculous price on a head and cab, otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever tried it. Here is a little clip of the lead channel I made a couple days ago. I've only had a few days with it, so I'm still learning the eq, but it can do some nasty br00tal tones from what I've heard so far.

The Rev is supposed to be better sounding, and easier to dial in according to people that own both. Here's a page with some clips . My buddy has the Rev combo, and I really liked the amp. Much better than most people give it credit for. They are going real cheap used with all the negative hype around them too, and they are built like tanks. Even little things like the transformers are the biggest I've ever had in an amp, I'm actually very impressed with the build quality so far. I've owned my fair share of high quality amps to compare it with too.

If Metallica is your bag, you may be able to find a used Mark III too, which would also definitely be worth checking out. Just make sure it has the GEQ

the problems with kranks, yes they do have an amazing sound for studio recording but live they have no kick to em. its got the sound an the power but when you crank up the volume you cant "feel" it like you should
Quote by Dauntless
the problems with kranks, yes they do have an amazing sound for studio recording but live they have no kick to em. its got the sound an the power but when you crank up the volume you cant "feel" it like you should

hmm, I don't have any experience with it in a band situation yet, so I can't can't talk from experience. I have had the head very loud however, loud enough to get the powertubes working, and I thought it had plenty of kick compared to other amps I've owned, if you are talking about punch you in the chest force. I'm using a Rev1 cabinet with the Stein head though, not the Texas Heats in the matching cab, so they are Eminence V12. Do you mean it doesn't have enough dynamic response as a tube amp should have? It does seem pretty linear until it's ear bleeding loud, but then it starts reacting. I want to try some new tubes too, I haven't really dug the Sovtek 5881 in other amps I've heard them in, and that's what comes stock in the Kranks. Are you talking about the midrange? I have noticed it has an odd voicing on the midrange, I actually wondered how that was going to do in a live mix. The volumes are tricky too, the master has to stay way above the ch volumes, or it doesn't sound right, and if you use the fx loop, the fx level becomes the new master volume.

I'm actually having a harder time getting a good recorded sound out of it compared to a live cranked sound TBH. It's harder for me to EQ than other amps I've owned, and it sounds much better when the power section can breathe a little IMO. The presence control seems to work with the sweep control, so you have to kind of set them relative to eachother. I found it pretty easy to dial up a good sound playing in front of it, but when I mic it, it doesn't sound nearly as good on recording. I had kind of the opposite impression of this head actually, it seems like it would be a great head for touring, but harder to use in a studio setting. At least for me, I like the sound much better at band level volumes. The Rev1 seemed easier to dial in a better lower vol recording tone. Like I said though, I haven't had it in live mix yet, but I'll keep that in mind next time I'm able to play with some people. I wasn't planning on keeping this head actually, I bought it to try and make some loot, but I've been very impressed with it so far. If it gets lost in a live mix though, that would be absolutely ridiculous for a 100W all tube head, it would have to go.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Go for a used Mesa Mark IV combo....IMO, the only amp that does AMAZING cleans, and brutal articulate high gain, all in one!

If you shop around, you will find one for $900...I've even seen them go for less.

It will also allow you to sell all those gain pedals...with such a good amp, you won't need them...maybe sell them and add to the budget to get a Mark IV head and 2x12 cab. Trust me!

And also...don't go too pedal crazy...while versatility is good, too much makes the tones suffer....
Quote by ASGTrace
Alright after I finish aying off some bills I will be in the market looking around for an amp.

Heres my current setup :

EHX Small Clone
EHX Bigg Muff (Russian)
Dimebag Wah
VS Jekyll/Hyde

I'll be getting more pedals soon, probably some delay and w/e else..I play a lot of Metallica but I venture into a LOT of styles..it all depends on my mood and what sounds nice to me. I love good cleans so...

Now to my main point. Initially I was looking to spend 500-600 on a nice tube combo. I went down the noobish halfstack road and sold it asap because it was too loud...go figure. I mainly play at home but I need it loud enough to jam with and possibly gig with if need be. I was pretty much set on a B-52 212. Its a great amp, but then I was thinking...if Im blowing so much $ already why not just spend a little more and get everything done right the 1st time. SOOOO...I'm now looking for something that will last and kickass for a while.

Ultimately I'll probably dish out ~900 if I really need it. I was looking at the 5150 combo but Ive heard the cleans arent great. Now Im considering the Mesa F-50. Im figuring 50 watt tube should be enough to jam with yet still small enough to use at home right?

You're going to love um

At that price i would head right for a carvin v3
I went down the stack road...didnt work out too well...lol..

I was considering getting a head and a 2x12 cab instead of 412..any thoughts?

Plus arent mark IV like 1300+?
Quote by ASGTrace

Heres my current setup :

EHX Small Clone
EHX Bigg Muff (Russian)
Dimebag Wah
VS Jekyll/Hyde

I'd like to make a side comment and just say thanks for posting right. You must either pay attention or have read the FAQ. You told us everything we need to know with out having to ask. So thanks for the great thread and I hope to see more TSers like you.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Thanks guys.

I have to find a shop with a lot of Mesas but Im starting to lean towards a mark IV. I havnt seen many clips of them but what I have heard, they sound sweet. Really have that Metallica chug to them.

It just sucks because the cheapest ive seen them go for is like 1100.
metallica *** WHEN THEY USED TO BE GOOD *** used marshalls. there are some used marshalls on newyork.craigslist

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=marshall&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

there are also some mesas

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=mesa&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

people also recommend these

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/425916208.html - $700 is a bit high for a 5150 head though

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/421512218.html
Quote by sethp
metallica *** WHEN THEY USED TO BE GOOD *** used marshalls. there are some used marshalls on newyork.craigslist

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=marshall&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

there are also some mesas

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=mesa&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

people also recommend these

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/425916208.html - $700 is a bit high for a 5150 head though

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/421512218.html

Not to be rude but get your facts straight. YES they have used Marshall's but their primary amp was Mesa.

Thanks for the help though.