In the next week or so I'll buy myself a guitar. It won't be new,so I was wondering what should I pay special attention to. I never owned an electric so I'm clueless about what to look at... Any help would be usefull.
I won't be buying it alone, there'll be a guy, who kinda knows his way around guitars, with me. But I still don't want to look like an idiot when he says: "This pickup sucks becouse ************..." etc.

Thanks...
Well,, make sure it sounds good.(duh) Make sure the body or anything is not physically damaged, if so make sure its just on the outside and has no impact on the inside. And most importantly. You know where you input the jack? make sure thats not loose. Thats all i can give .

edit : oh yeah, make sure the volume and switch knobs ALL WORK. Make sure theres no damage where the strings should go in on the headstock(Top neck of guitar).
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
Last edited by Marwanbaki at Sep 19, 2007,
the neck of the guitar is important too, make sure you like the feel of the neck and its comfortable.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
yeh, u can really go by how it feels a lot as well, as well as the basic "does it sound cool" and "looks better than paris hilton" kinda things. and dont pay too much attention to brand names, lyk, dont buy it just cos it has ESP writen on it. in the same way, if it says LTD, dont dismiss it imediately. if i were in ur position buying a second hand guitar, TRY to avoid the cheap sub-brands, ESPECIALLY Squire, by Fender. they're crap new, so imagine a second hand one....but all other brands hold up well. the main problems with second hand guitars is the paint job and stuff lyk that, but look out for chips on the neck and fingerboard too, and dents anywhere else on the body.

so yeh, sorri about what mite be pretty obvious advice, but good luck and rock on
Make sure you sight the neck from the body end too look for any kinks no matter how tiny. You can use your strings as a straight edge to check the neck relief. What i look for is a 1.5mm or so gap between the string and the 7th fret when the string is fretted at the 1st and last fret. you may need a capo to do this. Other than that look for fret wear and any buzzes or chokes when bending or fretting as this tends to be a bad omen.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by _Paddy_
yeh, u can really go by how it feels a lot as well, as well as the basic "does it sound cool" and "looks better than paris hilton" kinda things. and dont pay too much attention to brand names, lyk, dont buy it just cos it has ESP writen on it. in the same way, if it says LTD, dont dismiss it imediately. if i were in ur position buying a second hand guitar, TRY to avoid the cheap sub-brands, ESPECIALLY Squire, by Fender. they're crap new, so imagine a second hand one....but all other brands hold up well. the main problems with second hand guitars is the paint job and stuff lyk that, but look out for chips on the neck and fingerboard too, and dents anywhere else on the body.

so yeh, sorri about what mite be pretty obvious advice, but good luck and rock on

Squier can make some damn fine guitars, so don't dismiss them straight away.

Anyway, when buying a new guitar:

-make sure the neck is straight, there may be a bit of relief, but within reason
-check that the frets aren't worn and are level
-check if the tuners still work properly
-if you have the time, play every fret to check for fretbuzz and dead notes
-go through all the pickup positions to see if they all work
-roll the volume and tone up and down a few times to check for crackle
-if it has a trem, make sure it's in good condition
-inspect the finish (some problem areas are the neck pocket, near the input, the bottom edges and the tip of the headstock

If something like a pot isn't working it's not a hard or expensive fix, but if you play your cards right it can result in a nice discount. Also, before you buy it check the internet for the average price similar models go for, this can give you a good indication of what is a fair deal.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!