Hey,

For the first time ever I pulled out my drum machine and said to myself, okay, I'm going to record a demo for a song I'm writing. Well I got halfway done with the first bit of it and said, wow, this sucks. So rather than waste my time finishing it, I thought I'd upload it here for some opinions. The name of the song is Black Trip, though that might change as I work on it more. And this isn't really a full song, obviously. There is a poorly done drum track as I've never really used the machine before, and, well let's face it, I'm a guitarist, what do I know about drums?

Everything is mixed really bad and it is slightly off-beat, with several mistakes. I'm going to work on the song in Guitar Pro 5 and upload it that way in a few days, but for now I want some opinions.

How does it sound, as a riff? Does it remind you of anything? What genre would you consider it to be? I've never ever written anything with a genre in mind, but I am very curious to hear what other people think it sounds like.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Mud+Martian/music/all/play78999

I also wouldn't mind some tips on recording and mixing this stuff. I use Guitar Rig 2 to record my guitar parts and then go back to mix them later in Goldwave, but I find it very hard to keep things in time. I wish my band were still together, flying solo can be tough when it comes to recording and putting songs together.

Anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-Muddy
from my recording experiences, you can tell when a song is worth keeping from the first minute or first few bars. you can tell when youve started something you think is good and you will feel like you want to carry it on. just play around for a while until u can come up with something that sounds different or unique to you.
Quote by Davester000
from my recording experiences, you can tell when a song is worth keeping from the first minute or first few bars. you can tell when youve started something you think is good and you will feel like you want to carry it on. just play around for a while until u can come up with something that sounds different or unique to you.

Hey, thank you for the comment.

I actually like this a lot and I want to expand on it and make it into a full song. Eventually I'll have a full song up here, but I'm going to ask my guitar teacher if he can help me out with recording a full version of this. He understands drum machines better than I, too, so he could help with that. This song actually eventually has a tempo change and a couple of timing changes, and I have no clue how to set up a drum machine to do that.

I may do a full guitar-only recording too.

But thanks again for the comment and I hope you liked what you heard.
No problem ,

when you get into drum machines it will help alot to give your track a body when you get a pattern that fits well with the style and how the song is played.

Your Recording,

id the say the genre basically is just metal/hard rock. perhaps using a higher tempo will add more energy to your songs and try to change your lead guitar over the back every now agen to add more excitement to the riff. try whammy or sliding up to a note, a pinch harmonic or tapped. try anything. a good song will have been played around with. i think steve vai plays around alot before he actually records a part of his songs

-Dave
Hey man, sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, i've been a bit busy the past two days ^_^.

Anyway, on to your song. I think that the tempo could be a little faster, it does kind of chug a long a bit, I wouldn't say it was metal imo I would actually say it's more 90's grunge, speed it up and maybe add some harmonics or a faster lead and then I think you'd be entering in to metal territory.

The tone on your guitar was decent if not a little fuzzy, but it worked nicely on the lead parts, i'd only consider changing the tone for the rhythm sections, but this is entirely up to you, and if you can't change it then thats fine, it's not like it's a fundamental part of the songs composition.

It would be cool if you could make this longer and maybe add a bass for that extra depth? Your song has potential and at the moment it's not fulfilling it, maybe due to lack of length or variation, which I understand if you're still working on it.

Keep at it, i'd like to hear the full version when it's done
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Hey man, sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, i've been a bit busy the past two days ^_^.

Anyway, on to your song. I think that the tempo could be a little faster, it does kind of chug a long a bit, I wouldn't say it was metal imo I would actually say it's more 90's grunge, speed it up and maybe add some harmonics or a faster lead and then I think you'd be entering in to metal territory.

The tone on your guitar was decent if not a little fuzzy, but it worked nicely on the lead parts, i'd only consider changing the tone for the rhythm sections, but this is entirely up to you, and if you can't change it then thats fine, it's not like it's a fundamental part of the songs composition.

It would be cool if you could make this longer and maybe add a bass for that extra depth? Your song has potential and at the moment it's not fulfilling it, maybe due to lack of length or variation, which I understand if you're still working on it.

Keep at it, i'd like to hear the full version when it's done

Hey,

Thanks a bunch for the response. This is a work in progress, of course, and because of my voice being out of commission for a while I can't put any vocals down. Eventually I'll have bass down, work on changing it up a bit to keep it interesting, develop the lead, and put down some vocals. But I thought I'd put up this short excerpt for some thoughts and opinions.

I realize it is rather slow, and I am working on that. This is all experimentation for me, as I don't have much experience with dynamics and, well, keeping a song interesting. It is really hard to hear your song how others would hear it, you know? Everyone hears it differently.

Also, I realize the tone sucks. Guitar Rig 2 doesn't exactly have the greatest tone to it, but I can't record any other way at the moment.

I'll keep at it. Thanks man.