I keep reading posts where people talk about hating the Gibson 'Policy'. Saying they'd never touch Gibson because of it. What is this 'policy' thing? Does it have something to do with them taking PRS to court or something? Genuinely curious.
Gear:

Am Series Strat
Rat
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (but not sure if I'm keeping it)
Beats me. Maybe Gibson has a policy of poking minorities in the eye with flying vs.
I made you a cookie but I eated it.
Its probably because they have crap build-quality/quality control.
It's funny I have talked to several people at music shops that all tell me Gibsons QC is not all that. I bought an Epiphone Flying V that is marked 2nd on the head stock and after about an hour I finally found out why. Some of the white paint oversprayed on the edge of the fretboard where it meets the body. No big deal IMHO the guitar plays great and that's the only blem. I was told by the manager of the store I bought it from if that happened on a Gibson they would still sell it as is, not 2nd or blem. I just figured that was a sales deal to get me to buy the guitar. I asked three others at three other music shops and they all told me the same thing I asked several guys at the local guitar show and got the same answer. I just don't understand how manufacturers that make lower quality guitars have a better QC policy. If I am paying 1000s of dollars for a guitar I want it basically perfect I don't expect a top quality looks guitar for a couple hundred but it seems these companies take more pride for some reason. I never would have thought Gibson would not be #1 in QC. If I buy a Gibson I expect more from them. I haven't owned a Gibson for years I sold off all my babies a long time ago I never saw a problem with any of those so this is surprising to me.
Thats why you buy used, vintage Gibsons. Thge deals are wayyyy better.
Who walks into a store and buys a NEW LP Standard?
Quote by demea

Anyone who has a few thousand dollars in their pocket and likes to be the first owner of an instrument.
Quote by demea

Anybody who isn't smart enough to get a Carvin.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Carvin FTW!

Although their QC can be shady sometimes. SOMETIMES. Like, 1 out of 100, but its still there.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by subliminaldelta
Carvin FTW!

Although their QC can be shady sometimes. SOMETIMES. Like, 1 out of 100, but its still there.

Then send it back.

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by demea

What's so stupid about that? (It's a serious question.)
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by demea

Actually Gibsons from the late 90s are just SO much better. Most of the modern day Gibsons are pretty bleh IMHO. But out of all the late 90s Gibsons I have played (including my '98 LP Studio) they are all awesome with top quality control.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The best LP that I've ever played was my buddy's 90's Studio.
Quote by utsapp89
never heard of this before, what a shame.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by johnro6659
I just don't understand how manufacturers that make lower quality guitars have a better QC policy.

One word.

Arrogance.
well let's put it like this: suing PRS didn't exactly endear them to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Wasted Resource
Anyone who has a few thousand dollars in their pocket and likes to be the first owner of an instrument.

If you shop, you'll find LP Standards...hell even Customs for around 1500.00 US.
Got my Custom for 1600.

It's like buying a new car (I know many of you here arent old enough to drive, so disregard this metaphor) Once you drive it off the lot, you just depreciated the value about 25 percent. If you wreck it on the way home, you are screwed.
Same with guitars.
My 2007 gibson les paul standard is flawless.You cant judge all guitars.Some are bad.Some are good and some are perfect.The first one I bought(ebony) was good but it had a tiny scrape on the binding under the clear coat that you could only see at an angle.But I returned it and payed xtra for wine red.I spent a couple of day cheking for flaws and it was perfect.If you dont like something you return it.Some one here sayed its stupid to buy a new standard.I think thats not true.Mine sounds great I love it.What is really stupid is too buy something find a flaw and only complain about it.You just return it

heres some pics of it

EDIT:

The things on the headstock is from the case,not anything on the finish

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Last edited by Hernan_lp at Sep 19, 2007,
^ that's really nice.

if you ask me, though, with a guitar retailing for $3000 (that's what the standards go for here), you shouldn't have to try 10 or 15 to get the awesome one. At that kind of money, they should stop the less nice ones from even leaving the factory.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well let's put it like this: suing PRS didn't exactly endear them to me.

Hmm, can someone fill me in on this? Why they sued PRS, what the case was, who won, etc.?
The gibson policy refers to two things; the QC, which gibson usa is currently lacking (the custom shop is on a roll though), or more likely, the fact that gibson will not let dealers post inventory pics, or pics of NEW gibsons for sale. The only exception seems to be Wildwood
and sweetwater can post pics too

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Hmm, can someone fill me in on this? Why they sued PRS, what the case was, who won, etc.?

they basically sued prs because gibson said the ps singlecut was a copy of the les paul. Gibson won originally, but PRS won on appeal, and can currently make singlecuts again.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hernan_lp
and sweetwater can post pics too

The difference with sweetwater is that they are not technically posting inventory. They show examples, not actually guitars you can choose to buy. Does that make sense. What you see in the gallery is not going to be the guitar you get.