Recently I've learned the song Zebra by the John Butler Trio, but there's one part of the solo I just can't get right. Actually, I haven't ever been able to do it well in other songs. It goes like this:

|----------------------------------------------------------|
|-------10------10------10------10------10------10------10-|
|--9h11----9h11----9h11----9h11----9h11----9h11----9h11----|

(Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2FayS_AHcA)

I can do it slowly, but I can't seem to speed it up properly. Any tips?
- Fender Highway 1 HSS Stratocaster
- Fender FM65R
- Boss DS-1
- Boss DD-3
- Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB95
Keep doing it slowly until you can play it quickly...might take a few hours, might take a few days,nmight take weeks even. That's just the way it is, just concentrate on playing it accurately, speed comes with time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Keep doing it slowly until you can play it quickly...might take a few hours, might take a few days,nmight take weeks even. That's just the way it is, just concentrate on playing it accurately, speed comes with time.

Thanks. I'll try it now, using a metronome.
- Fender Highway 1 HSS Stratocaster
- Fender FM65R
- Boss DS-1
- Boss DD-3
- Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB95
put your index finger on the 9 and bar the 9 on the b string. Put the middle on the 10 and hold it there. I bar the frets above notes like that so I can hammer with my ring finger and get it out of the way so it doesnt mess up the 10 note. Dont know if this will help you but it has worked for me for years. Cheers
As always, Seagull is the voice of reason..+1. If you can't do it right slowly, it's not gonna sound better speeded up. It's all about muscle memory. When you go really slow take the time to perfect the technique and make sure there's no muscle tension in your arms anywhere. If there is, pinpoint it and relax it. Muscle tension kills the ability to play faster. The metro will definitely help this. Take all the time you need. You'll be happier with yourself when it comes out right instead of frustrated when it doesn't. Once your fingers have gotten used to playing it it'll come.
Also, what picking technique are you using to play it? Try an upstroke first on the third string and down on the second or down first on the third string and up on the second. Alternate picking makes the lick go a little faster too.