I was never one of those people who believed that bass guitar was 'untalented' and 'not even essential in a band'. But still, wow! I found out the hard way just how hard you guys actually can play.

In a few weeks, my band Mentality are recording our first album for our new label. And our bass player just quit the band.
So now, with no prior bass experience, I am bassist-less.

What am I going to do?
The only thing that I can do.
After recording, after the rest of the band leaves, I'm going to have to stay behind and record the bass, the dub it over.

Now, I have no experience with the bass guitar. But when it came to writing songs, I could generally nut out what I wanted the bass to do - I write all the music and lyrics for our music. But I never realised just how hard bass can be.

I found, and still find, bassists hard to find.
You guys are like McDonalds burgers that look exactly like the picture. We know you're out there - but we just have to find you guys.

So, since bassists are, at least in this area (southern parts of Australia), you guys are hard to find, I just want to thank you all.
There's not enough bassists in the world, and it's high time you got your recognition.

Play or die.
It's good to hear that someone appriciates us.

The other day when this band played without a bassist my rhythm guitarist said "this would sound so much better if there was some walking bassline behind it" and I thought he must have been joking!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Threads like these come up from time to time and tend to come off as very patronizing. This one's rather nice, though.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by watchingmefall
I am not a McDonalds burger I'm more like Wendy's.

But thanks man.

Wendys > all other fast food outlets. I wish they had em in England!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Wow, TS you even made Fitz as mushy as he'll ever get on these forums!

A fellow bass playing friend and I once joked that the bass players theme song should be the old country song "You'll miss me when I'm gone".

Thankfully, most of the guitarist I hang with tend to appreciate a good bass player. Thank you TS for your kind words; its nice to be recognized for being the solid creative force we are!

And if you live in CA...

In and Out Burger > all other burgers, period.
hey thanks for the nice comments, nice to know that were appreciated
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by anarkee
Wow, TS you even made Fitz as mushy as he'll ever get on these forums!

A fellow bass playing friend and I once joked that the bass players theme song should be the old country song "You'll miss me when I'm gone".

Thankfully, most of the guitarist I hang with tend to appreciate a good bass player. Thank you TS for your kind words; its nice to be recognized for being the solid creative force we are!

And if you live in CA...

In and Out Burger > all other burgers, period.

I live in Tj so it's 5 min to CA and yes In and Out are godly, but come on, can you beat having four slices of meat? uber mettle!
Quote by watchingmefall
I live in Tj so it's 5 min to CA and yes In and Out are godly, but come on, can you beat having four slices of meat? uber mettle!

four slices of meat? pft, try a 32oz steak.

And TS, congratu;ations on making your comments unpatronising, it's appreciated
It's true, though; there's probably a 10:1 guitar player:bass player ratio easily. I'd say there's a 10:1 hobbiest:professional guitar player ratio, too. That makes a proper gigging freelance bass player a very difficult thing to find.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
four slices of meat? pft, try a 32oz steak.

And TS, congratu;ations on making your comments unpatronising, it's appreciated

We are talking burgers man I think I should stop spamming.
Spam burgers ftw!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Tummaenkeli

What am I going to do?
The only thing that I can do.
After recording, after the rest of the band leaves, I'm going to have to stay behind and record the bass, the dub it over.

Not necessarily. You could just record a virtually bassless album like '...And Justice for All' and CHANGE ROCK HISTORY. lol
thanks for the comments... i would love for some of those snot-nosed guitarists to learn how incredibly enduring it is to play bass...
Make mine the proper breakfast at Stracathro Services, nr Brechin. With a ridiculously large brew.

Quote TheFitz: It's true, though; there's probably a 10:1 guitar player:bass player ratio easily.

Speaking as a guitar playing bassist, I'd go as far as to say that the ratio of guitar gigs to bass gigs for me has been about 10:1...nuff said.
And that's granted that many bands use 2 'axe-slingers'
Quote by Divine Comedy
thanks for the comments... i would love for some of those snot-nosed guitarists to learn how incredibly enduring it is to play bass...

Stop trying to troll DesolationRow0!

Yes we know it's you. Using second account!

You share the same birthday, you live in the same town, you type the same!

Get out!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or we could all record a song each for him... WIN!!!

That could be fun ^_^ We could make it one great big bass forum competition.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Lendorav
Not necessarily. You could just record a virtually bassless album like '...And Justice for All' and CHANGE ROCK HISTORY. lol

Sadly enough, still a good album sans anything on the lower part of the eq.
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
Its true though. This forum is super informative.

I have such a better grasp of bass playing technique, products and mentality since jumping on here. I too was a guitarist, but I fired all of my bassists, cos they were tools. They were all stuck in the hobbiest mindset and that just wasnt good enough for me.

Ive always been in awe of good bass players, its truly a sublime instrument. I really feel like Ive found what I should be playing, and a big part of that is how helpful and welcoming you all are.

So thank you for making this transition a comfortable one.

*Can i post in the next "why guitarists make fun of me" thread now that I'm a bassist? *
Thanks for the comments dude. I have tried telling my guitarist friends why bass is a better or equal instrument to guitar. My thought for bands is that think of a band as an ice cream cone. The drums/percussion are the cone, bass is the first big scoop of ice cream, guitars are the other scoops, and vocals, keyboards, and all other possible instruments are the toppings. My buddys got what I was saying when I came up with that.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Glad to see someone appreciates the bass. Most of my friends don't consider bass an instrument.
Indeed bassists are very hard to find, and a good bassist is even harder. I'm starting to understand why the band I'm joining is so eager to start practicing with me and is okay witht he fact I have about 4 years less experience than the rest of them.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by watchingmefall

You can order in-n-out burgers with 20 pieces of meat.
haha
Quote by kasso99
Sadly enough, still a good album sans anything on the lower part of the eq.

The sad part about that album is that 4 or 5 of the tracks were basslines that Cliff Burton wrote before he died and Metallica thought it would be cool to use those bass tracks on the album in honor of him. And then proceeded to turn the bass EQ to -15. I just don't udnerstand some bands...
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Thanks for the kind words, TS. By the way, Arby's anyone?

Arby's > All.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
You know what was amazing? My wire's snapped off my pot today and there was no saudering iron avaliable so I couldn't play. My band tries and plays one song without me and they just stop half way through and say band practice is over. +162346 respect points to me!

And Burger King (especially chicken sandwhich) > all
I once found a McDonald's buger that DID look exactly like the picture. I took a photo from my phone. Still have it :P
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Can't we all agree that fast food taste like burps that died trying to escape from your mouth?

Anyway, thanks for the sentiment ts. I agree with fitz, usually these come off as patronizing but this one was nice.
Quote by Tummaenkeli

I found, and still find, bassists hard to find.
You guys are like McDonalds burgers that look exactly like the picture. We know you're out there - but we just have to find you guys.

BEST ANALOGY EVER!!!!

but yea
reading this whole thing just made my day that much better

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....