Today I discovered something nice that I didn't know about my Thinkpad. It has a firewire port! I must have missed that when I bought it, but now that I know i'm thinking of getting a firewire based recording interface. Can someone recommend me some good ones to look at? I don't really need anything fancy or very expensive.

Also, while you're at it, microphone recommendations would be good to. Preferably one that I could use for recording vocals and guitar.

I'd like to use this interface for recording mic'd amps, vocals, and directly hooking up my GT-8 via S/PDIF. Suggestions are appreciated.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Well I'm not sure how much you are looking to spend for a firewire interface but they aren't cheap. I have one of these and it works good

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_presonus_inspire_1394_firewire_audio_interface?full_sku=103943718

I've heard a lot of people raving about these also

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?full_sku=103832135

Also look into this but it only has 1 XLR and 1 1/4" input

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_maudio_firewire_solo_mobile_audio_interface?full_sku=102951837

As far as mics you just can't go wrong with a Shure SM57
Wow, I was expecting those to be a little more expensive. Those don't seem to be much more that any of the USB interfaces I'd seen around. Any other ones I should be looking at?

EDIT: I'm probably willing to spend about $300 on the interface, maybe a little more if need be.

BTW, I had heard about the Shure SM57. I just forgot >.<
Rig

Last edited by x_themetalfan_x at Sep 20, 2007,
Firebox, Onyx Satellite - both are highly recommended. Though, I think the A/D converters in the Satellite slightly edge out those in the Firebox making it a slightly better overall unit imo.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I've decided on the Mackie Onyx Satellite and a Shure SM57

My first real recording interface... no more direct in to my ****ty sound card with a GT-8!
Rig

Quote by moody07747
^ as soon as i get the cash im getting a mackie interface as well...
I'm stuck using my stock sound card and Audacity because Vista doesnt have any drivers out yet...

I was using that back when I started recording. I'm hoping it'll give me perspective so I enjoy my new setup more.

BTW, interface and mic are ordered. Will the mic come with the cables I need to hook it up? Also, while I'm at it, are there some good recording tutorials around? I want to become at least slightly adept at mixing and mastering.
Rig

The mic will likely not come with a cable so you will need to buy an XLR cable.

Here is the best audio recording tutorial on the net for beginners (and not beginners as well):
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
The mic will likely not come with a cable so you will need to buy an XLR cable.

Here is the best audio recording tutorial on the net for beginners (and not beginners as well):
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Thanks. So I'll probably be heading down to axemusic to buy a cable then
Rig

I'm not sure about monitors, but I may end up getting some later on if/when I get more serious. For now, this is just about getting some rough recordings down and learning the basics. Only problem I can see is that I won't be able to record drums (well) without more mics.
Rig

What software are you using to record? Cubase LE is a great software, very user friendly and cheap...it comes free with the Firebox, which I would have suggested...but it's too late for that, since you've already ordered.

You should at least get some decent headphones or nice computer speakers to record. AKG makes some pretty good heaphones for like $20-40 depending on the model...I think it'd be worth it.

How else are you going to learn about mic positioning and how it affects the recorded sound, unless you can hear it through some true speakers? Also, there's no way you can successfully mix and especially master, unless you have a good recording software and good monitors. Now, if you're just trying to have a physical copy of your ideas, then I guess monitors wouldn't be too high on the prioriy list...but if you want your stuff to sound good, think about investing in something.
Quote by ErikHoppy
What software are you using to record? Cubase LE is a great software, very user friendly and cheap...it comes free with the Firebox, which I would have suggested...but it's too late for that, since you've already ordered.

You should at least get some decent headphones or nice computer speakers to record. AKG makes some pretty good heaphones for like $20-40 depending on the model...I think it'd be worth it.

How else are you going to learn about mic positioning and how it affects the recorded sound, unless you can hear it through some true speakers? Also, there's no way you can successfully mix and especially master, unless you have a good recording software and good monitors. Now, if you're just trying to have a physical copy of your ideas, then I guess monitors wouldn't be too high on the prioriy list...but if you want your stuff to sound good, think about investing in something.

Well, I was planning on getting some good studio headphones so I can mix without bugging people around me. Cubase LE is what I'm planning to get, and it's easy enough if you know where to look (won't be getting any further into that though )
Rig

Funny, I also recently discovered I have a fire wire port, I thought I was stuck with USB. :P

Anyway I was gonna get the Personus Inspire 1394 and a Shure SM57, but:

Do any of these fire wire interfaces have clipping monitoring, either software or LEDs on the unit?

On a related note:

Are the M-Audio Studiophile DX 4 or AV 40 any good for budget monitoring?
Last edited by ixelion at Sep 24, 2007,