In a live situation, can I run a DI line from my 6PRO and not have any speakers hooked up? will this damage the amp?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
YES because the DI doesnt turn off the speaker output in the same way a headphones output would.

You could get an attenuator and run the DI out and a the speaker out into the attenuator.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
You could run the DI off the end of your pedalboard, so you send one signal to the amp, and one to the desk. Or just DI straight into the desk without the amp. Bass POD's and suchlike are handy for that tactic.
But as Jono says DO NOT run your amp w/o speakers into the DI!! Your amp and DI box will probly catch fire simultaneously...
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Sep 19, 2007,
He's talking about the Ampeg 6Pro. It's really really really really bad to run a head without a cab or attenuator.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by mountaindew88
In a live situation, can I run a DI line from my 6PRO and not have any speakers hooked up? will this damage the amp?

yes, you can run direct from the head, and no, it will not harm your amp.
i've done it many times, and my amp is fine.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Sep 19, 2007,
Quote by Jonnomainman
YES because the DI doesnt turn off the speaker output in the same way a headphones output would.

You could get an attenuator and run the DI out and a the speaker out into the attenuator.

Could he plug in head phones and then not use them and still run the DI out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by its irrelevant
Or run a line from the headphone out to the board?

since wen did this work... well?
been there tried that
Most sound guys like the DI to be pre everything(as in preamp and effects if possible) for some reason so plugging in headphones should account for the speakers and then as long as the DI still works when you have the headphones plugged in it should be fine. the problem is if when it shuts off the speakers for the headphones it might shut of the DI for some reason.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
yes, you can run direct from the head, and no, it will not harm your amp.
i've done it many times, and my amp is fine.

True, provided there are absolutely NO valves involved in the power stage. If there are, that's when the trouble begins if not using a cab.
how do youn intend to hear yourself on stage
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
he'll probably have a monitor pointed toward him.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
yes you can it will not harm anything. you anly have to do the atenuator tactic if you have a tube power driven amp. this is in the FaQ on the ampeg website you are perfectly okay.

but why would you not plug in speakers i am wondering? incase speakers blow at a gig or something as backup?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Revelation
Most sound guys like the DI to be pre everything(as in preamp and effects if possible) for some reason so plugging in headphones should account for the speakers and then as long as the DI still works when you have the headphones plugged in it should be fine. the problem is if when it shuts off the speakers for the headphones it might shut of the DI for some reason.

OMG why would sound men want that horabe sound?? pre evrything as in pre-preamp?? like as in plug youre bass stright into the Pa ...icky sound that makes no sense i would absolutely refuse!! i had to plug stright into PA once .. well more than once but i am ashamed to admit it but NEVER A F***ing gin.

care to explain why this may be? or did you mean pre-FX because that makes sense. but without preamp? ick!!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
yes you can it will not harm anything. you anly have to do the atenuator tactic if you have a tube power driven amp. this is in the FaQ on the ampeg website you are perfectly okay.

but why would you not plug in speakers i am wondering? incase speakers blow at a gig or something as backup?

Have you tried carrying a cab? even a 1x15 or 2x10 are hefty enough to try and get to a stage.

HOWEVER

i very much doubt the soundguy would let you run a head without a load. it can be potentionally hazardous. just because some people get away with it doesn't mean they all do. Its far cheaper to just run into a DI box from the end of your Effects chain, and do any tweaking you would on the amp at the Desk, and if you rely on onboard amp effects well then you're silly
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
OMG why would sound men want that horabe sound?? pre evrything as in pre-preamp?? like as in plug youre bass stright into the Pa ...icky sound that makes no sense i would absolutely refuse!! i had to plug stright into PA once .. well more than once but i am ashamed to admit it but NEVER A F***ing gin.

care to explain why this may be? or did you mean pre-FX because that makes sense. but without preamp? ick!!

It's not a horrible sound providing you're using a half-decent bass and have decent technique. In a mix situation it can work very well.

I see you have a Sansamp BDDI in your gear list As an engineer I'm almost always happy to take my DI from this, and as a player I've never met an engineer who refused to let me use mine.

Also, if the Pa is large enough then the DI sound would have to include effects, otherwise there'd be no point in having them since no bugger would hear them. Of course, this does assume that the player does know how to set their effects and not destroy the rest of the band's sound....
Look read this Ampeg FaQ page on website

Q11) Can I run my amp without any speaker cabinets connected to it?
Any Ampeg amplifier with a solid state output (SVT-4PRO, SVT-3PRO, SVT-350H, B-5,4, and 3R) can be used for recording purposes using only the line output to record and without speakers attached to the speaker jacks. The amp must have a speaker load if the amp has a tube output section (SVT-CL, SVT-2PRO, and V-4B), not doing so can result in extensive damage to the amplifier.

http://ampeg.com/faq.html
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E