I'm a fan of Pink Floyd, Disturbed, Styx, Journey, Survivor (I love 80s music), Linkin Park and Korn.

I have a $300 budget (I don't want to spend more then that because if I give up, I'll be out a lot of money), What guitar and amp do you recommend I get? and do you suggest I buy it at the store or online?

Thanks
Vox DA5 - Lots of versatility and very portable.

Rogue Blem HH - Decent enough starter guitar.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Can I plug headphones into that? I live in an apartment.. so I can't play loud .
Yeah go with Epiphone Les Paul 100 for the guitar, amazing for under $300...doesn't really leave you much for an amp though. Still, I don't think you can get anything worth playing for less.

EDIT: Or maybe that other Epiphone LP is pretty good...that's one cheaply priced guitar...
Last edited by mattvl at Sep 19, 2007,
Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Vox DA5 or Roland Microcube - forget the LP, it's not quite as versatile.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by cahotopher15

The Microcube is solid.

The lower end Epiphones (especially the ones with Bolt-ons) are pretty shadesville (although I suppose most guitars in that price range are).

Quote by dog20
Can I plug headphones into that? I live in an apartment.. so I can't play loud .

Yup.

If you want a really good guitar (it used to cost around $400), check out the Floyd Rose Discovery DSF-2. It uses special strings that are more expensive, but are FAR to change (a bonus to a beginner).
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
you might want to look around the local music shops first, its nicer to see the exact thing your buying up close rrather than pics, and you can try out as well, plus music shops guys can help you out...
saying that, ordering online is cheaper..ive done it and usually its ok
i guess i could buy the amp online and the guitar at the store. maybe the person there could hook me up with free strings, picks, beginner video (lol)
Some description of Roland cube and a Yamaha pacifica, i still like those guitars, regardless of what im playing...
Quote by steven seagull
Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Vox DA5 or Roland Microcube - forget the LP, it's not quite as versatile.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077

Mhm, or at least get something with a single coil and a humbucker. I'd stick with that Yamaha. I've heard great things about them as beginner guitars, and I've also heard that they're great for modding once you get to that stage.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Pacifica's are complete rubbish, but for that price, the LP is a great bet. As for amps, Microcube or Marshall MG10CD.
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
Quote by Exsuratientoel
Pacifica's are complete rubbish, but for that price, the LP is a great bet. As for amps, Microcube or Marshall MG10CD.

No they aren't...go back into your hole. With a Pacifica 112 you get a nice slinky neck, HSS pickup config and an alder body.

And as for recommending an MG
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No they aren't...go back into your hole. With a Pacifica 112 you get a nice slinky neck, HSS pickup config and an alder body.

And as for recommending an MG

I think his recommending an MG speaks volumes The Pacificas are great guitars. they are built well, and have great pickups and hardware for the price. They also play really nice. As for an amp, I would look into a lower end Vox or the Roland MicroCube.
I think a 10 watt MG isn't too bad a suggestion, in home practise like. Not like the big ones that people want to gig with >.<

My suggestion is a Roland Cube, perhaps a Microcube and a Yamaha or some kind. Yamaha are vastly overlooked and make great guitars for th emoney. You always get your monies worth.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Microcube is solid.

If you want a really good guitar (it used to cost around $400), check out the Floyd Rose Discovery DSF-2. It uses special strings that are more expensive, but are FAR to change (a bonus to a beginner).

in my opinion, any kind of floating trem is a bad idea for a first guitar. versatility is important when your first learning to play. Id also recommend the microcubes, they are up there with vox's for lower cost, but decent quality amps. Definately the biggest bang for your buck at that price range...

As for the guitar, you really have three main types to choose from, sg's, strats, and LP. But it sounds like some sort of strat, like someone said the yamaha pacifica is a decent guitar in that price range. None of them will sound amazing, but for that price what do you expect. The majority of your sound comes through your amp.

But stay away from the mg's. Like most people that get them when they are beginning you'll think its awesome, but after a few months of playing and you develop an ear for tone, you'll think wtf? I spent money on that? Definately go for the microcube, and have a practice amp that even if you spend 500$ on your next amp, the microcube will still be a nice practice amp...

my 2 cents
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by PlayTheMetal
may wanna go with a roland cube 20x instead of the micro cube, it costs about $34 more.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031

The 15X and 25X are not very good cubes. Microcube, 30, 60W versions are much better.
Squire Strats are nice to play, & cheap as ****!
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
ok, i'm debating on

Roland Cube 20X Guitar Combo Amplifier- $159 (normally $219) nice savings
or
Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp- $125

as for a guitar, i'll wait for more replies and make a poll lol.
I'd just like to put a good word in for the Pacifica. I started on a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and I'm still very much interested in guitar so it certainly did it's job there. I don't have any experience with those amps though, sorry.
Quote by PlayTheMetal
may wanna go with a roland cube 20x instead of the micro cube, it costs about $34 more.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031

No.

Quote by dog20
ok, i'm debating on

Roland Cube 20X Guitar Combo Amplifier- $159 (normally $219) nice savings
or
Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp- $125

as for a guitar, i'll wait for more replies and make a poll lol.

The 20x is worse than the Microcube. The 20x has none of the amp models that make the Cube series good.

Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
in my opinion, any kind of floating trem is a bad idea for a first guitar.

I'm glad I suggested a guitar without a floating trem, then. Try clicking the link and reading.

Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Sep 20, 2007,
Any cheap guitars with humbuckers will probably be fine. It's the amp you have to worry about. A Roland MicroCube is one of the better small practise amps...
Roland Micro Cube------$99
Ibanez RG120 Electric Guitar (White) -$199

take the Whammy bar off, and practice with the guitar for a while, you can change pickups later, but first make sure you like to play guitar

Budget--$300
Total-----$298
------------------------
-----------$2 left
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Sep 20, 2007,
Quote by Ki'
Any cheap guitars with humbuckers will probably be fine. It's the amp you have to worry about. A Roland MicroCube is one of the better small practise amps...

What is humbuckers?
Quote by dog20
What is humbuckers?

A Humbucker's a type of pickup in the guitar, a block that pretty much captures the vibrations from the strings and makes it sound through the amp, with a thicker tone than a "Single coil" pickup. Or something like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker
Quote by dog20
What is humbuckers?

Or more simply put, not a Squier Strat.
Squier are alright, but not preferable. The Squier Strat uses single coils instead of humbuckers.
Bad.

All of the people who like them are just defending their first guitar choice.

I've played a lot of Squiers in my day. I have been disappointed in every single one of the really cheap variety (Other than the '51 ).
Quote by utsapp89