has anyone seen/used/heard of these before? theyre extra super lights, by d'addario definition lol. string gauges .008-.038. im going to order a 3-pack as soon as i can and see how they turn out. i LOVE treble, so i think ill like em pretty good. i was about to order a 10-pack of 9's a while back before i spent all my money because i play a lot of bends and barre chords and now that ive found these im really wanting to try them out.

ok, so now much of a point to this thread, but can you believe they have 8's out??

should be fun when i drop my tele to drop d and crank the gain all the way to show the numetalz kids how fast i can play those damned one finger power chords all over the neck haha (ya know.. an extremely bright guitar playing extremely wannabe music).

note: the above statement is not directed towards any metal players on these boards. im referring to the local kids that are 2-7 year noobs because they cant play a real tune.
Ummm.

Ok.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ Yngwie uses 8's. They're very sensitive to play, easy to bend, easy to break, and have thin tone. But it's also incredibly easy to play incredibly fast on them. Very flexible though. 9s are light enough for me.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I think Tony Iommi plays 8's also (not sure though).
If you're going light, go 9. But... I love my 12's!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It's hard enough for me to play 0.009's, let alone 0.008's. Why buy such light strings? Heavier strings will get you just as much treble, just without the 'thin-ness' to the sound.
Quote by mr_hankey
It's hard enough for me to play 0.009's, let alone 0.008's. Why buy such light strings? Heavier strings will get you just as much treble, just without the 'thin-ness' to the sound.

Like Iommi, I'm missing the fingertips from three of my fingers in my left hand, and the calluses need to be trimmed every once in awhile, otherwise I would lose feeling in them. When I do trim them, I need to use 8's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I tried the .08's and they were overly slinky. I'll stick to my .09's thank you.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I would use .08 if it went to like .42, but .38 is rediculous.

I don't think I would be able to pick strings that low in tension.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would use .08 if it went to like .42, but .38 is rediculous.

I don't think I would be able to pick strings that low in tension.

Wanna hear something cool? Iom
mi from black sabbath used 8's in drop C tuning, wild huh?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I think Hendrix originally used 8-38 or something like that.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
8-38 has been around for ages. i used to use them when i was starting out. they're pretty fun alrite, super fast playing. i think its the thinnest thing you can string your guitar with before switching to human hair.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I shudder at the thought of these so called 8's. 9's make me uncomfortable as is. I realize thicker strings can make for some more difficult playing but just think of all the amazing benders who used thick strings like SRV who used 13's i believe and at one point piano wire. Remember thicker strings yield better tone, I'm not saying the difference between 9's and 10's is night and day, but it will give you better tone.

I know its hard but one trick is to go up two steps for the first string change [so say 11's] and then go back to the target of say 10's. After playing with 11's for a while your fingers will have adjusted and 10's will feel easy.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say I'm right, this is just IMO.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by Reincaster
Like Iommi, I'm missing the fingertips from three of my fingers in my left hand, and the calluses need to be trimmed every once in awhile, otherwise I would lose feeling in them. When I do trim them, I need to use 8's.

Whoa. That's the most awesome thing I've ever heard you say.

Quote by Sendrith

Correct.
im not saying im having difficulty bending with 10's, thats not the case at all, i just want to try something different. im working my way through all the d'addario strings so i can one day get a free stool haha.

as for finger strength/toughness, my alvarez acoustic has a pretty high action even for an acoustic and its loaded with 12's. my yellow tele has the highest action ive ever seen on an electric just so ill be able to play any guitar ever handed to me without bitching about the action like ive done in the past because i was so used to my super low action lp copy.

its not like i gig or even play in a real band, so im always trying new things.
Quote by Sendrith

wasn't it 9-38?

and for iommi, i found this:
For the D# tuning,
.008p, .008p, .011p, .018w, .024w, .032w.
For the C# tuning,
.009p, .010p, .012p, .020w, .032w, .042w.
pretty light, eh?
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
I tried 8s once (By Ernie Ball I believe). Too light for me, though I could see where they would be useful on a guitar with a scalloped fret board so you don't have to put a lot of force on them. however, I think (no offense meant here) they are a specialty string for people who may have problems using normal ones due to loss of finger tips, or people who have problems getting enoigh force to use others correctly (like Jason Becker late into his ALS). Not talking them down, but I'm saying I don't think they are geared for the general market.
Quote by 666_Belial
wasn't it 9-38?

and for iommi, i found this:
For the D# tuning,
.008p, .008p, .011p, .018w, .024w, .032w.
For the C# tuning,
.009p, .010p, .012p, .020w, .032w, .042w.
pretty light, eh?

.32?! O.o

Dayum. :O
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^ get EMGs and a rectifier, you wont be able to tell
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by blind nate
im not saying im having difficulty bending with 10's, thats not the case at all, i just want to try something different. im working my way through all the d'addario strings so i can one day get a free stool haha.

as for finger strength/toughness, my alvarez acoustic has a pretty high action even for an acoustic and its loaded with 12's. my yellow tele has the highest action ive ever seen on an electric just so ill be able to play any guitar ever handed to me without bitching about the action like ive done in the past because i was so used to my super low action lp copy.

its not like i gig or even play in a real band, so im always trying new things.

It's cool man, I'm not tryin to harass just stating my opinion. Acoustics generally have one gauge higher strings due to the shorter neck. IMO D'addario 11's sound better than D'addario 10's, don't ask me why I just think the 11's sound much better. Theres not as much difference between the 11's and 12's sound [unless your playin in drop tunings obviously] but as far as Standard tunings go.

And I agree I love my D'addario strings, not a better set out there for the money IMO.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
its all good, french. over the summer i played my acoustic a lot and got huge callouses on my fingers then school started back and i pulled em off lol.

couldnt agree more with the d'addario statement.

oh, and looks like ill be getting a 6-pack of 9's instead. oh well, maybe 8's next time.
I've been using .08's for over 20 years, and I get decent tone. I tend to bend strings all the way across the fret board. Its been part of my style forever. I do have a finger tip missing, but that's not why I use them.
I always use .9's...might be neat to try .8's sometime.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows